Looking at a Sigma 150/600

BF Hammer

I think most users have the Contemporary model rather than the Sports version you link to. They have differences.

I like the "C" a lot and consider it a price-performance overachiever. As I understand, the "S" is nearly 2x the price, a lot heavier, and better weather sealing. Focus is supposed to be quicker. It is optimized more for sports action and less for wildlife subjects. At least that is my take.

Clovishound

I have no experience with the Sigma. The only thing I can offer is I have had the Nikon 200-500 F5.6 since earlier this year. It never ceases to impress me. Normal price is a bit steeper at around $1400, but they have put it on sale for $1050 several times this year. I just checked and it's on sale for that right now. It works very well using an FTZ adapter on my Z5. I went with the Nikon to ensure compatibility with mirrorless with the adapter. That and the reputation of the 200-500.

Bikerbrent

Hey fltsfshr, I agree with BF Hammer. Go with the "C" version and save a lot of bucks. The "S" version is really only for better weather sealing and sports action. The "C" version is great for everything else. I love mine!!

Peter7100

I have the C version and I absolutely love this lens. In performs better that I was expecting and I would say it is my favourite lens in my current collection.

fltsfshr

I just put the Z7 on my C5 celestron. It's a Schmidt Cassegrain telescope. Going to try some astronomical shots tonight. Z7 told me it has to be operated in a manual mode. I have no clue how well it will work. Wish me luck

Bikerbrent

I just put the Z7 on my C5 celestron. It's a Schmidt Cassegrain telescope. Going to try some astronomical shots tonight. Z7 told me it has to be operated in a manual mode. I have no clue how well it will work. Wish me luck
Best of luck fltsfshr. The Z7 and Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope should give you good astronomical photography start.

fltsfshr

I used to shoot a lot of sky pics with my D5100 on it until I discovered once you shoot the stars and planets they never seem to change. :) I long time ago I had an 11" Celestron. That was a beast. I sold my equatorial wedge with it. We get very clear air here compared to other parts of the states. We're surrounded by water. When the Sahara dust comes in it clouds the sky but makes for great sunsets. In the Winter we have low humidity and clean dry air. I have oculars from 4mm to 40mm for the Celestron. Wish I could find an adaptor that would take advantage of of them. Cameras have to hook up direct. Currently I have the C5 mounted on video tripod. We'll see if I can find a couple planets with moons.

Last edited: