Need a backup battery for my Z5

Clovishound

I have been dragging my feet on this for some reason. The Pup is asking me what I want for Father's Day. I'm thinking about telling her a spare battery for my Z5. I currently don't have one, and have been thinking if I unexpectedly run dry (hasn't happened yet), I can just take it back to the car and plug it in for a while and get a partial charge. Probably need a real spare. I've also thought about getting one of the cell phone backups, the ones you charge up and plug into your phone. I could get by with this for the unlikely possibility of running up against a dead battery. You can operate the Z5 with a miniC cord plugged in.

I've also thought about an aftermarket battery, since it likely wouldn't be used much, if at all. I'm a little leery of aftermarket batteries, although I'm sure there are some brands that are better than others. Then there's the possibility they may pull an Apple and lock out an aftermarket via firmware.

What say you?

BF Hammer

No on the aftermarket battery. I have 3 of those that work perfectly well in my D750 and D600. The Z5 rejects them with a message to load a real Nikon EN-EL15. The Z bodies seem to have the this battery detection at ultra-sensitive. I read a Z8 review yesterday that also complained about the 3rd party battery rejection. So just stick to a real Nikon part. And I always try to have a backup battery especially going out in cold. Just keep rotating the batteries and they will keep working fine.

Bikerbrent

That is really a shame for Nikon to block off aftermarket batterys! Next thing they will pull the same tricks on Lenses and Flash Units and anything else they can think of. I sure hope my older Nikon Cameras will hang on as I will not, at this time, buy a Z camera!!

BF Hammer

Nikon already is keeping the Z-mount interface data to themselves except to manufacturers that won't make the same types of lenses as Nikon. And check the history of Nikon and flash units. They have not introduced a new model in a looooong time. Nikon is already passing that business off to the aftermarket makers.

But the industry trend that really should scare you is that Sony is now charging for firmware updates. That idea will spread.

Clovishound

Thanks for the info on the aftermarket rejection. I'm not too worried about cold in my neck of the woods. I seriously doubt I'll ever shoot much below 30 degrees. The coldest it ever gets here is upper teens, and that is rare, and in the middle of the night.

I see Amazon has Nikon EL-EL15c batteries on sale for $60. They are shipped by Beach Camera. I hate to spend money on something that will likely never be needed, but I would also hate to have a photo trip ruined, because I accidentally left my camera on. The more I think about trying to take pictures while tethered to a phone backup battery, the more I think that might be unworkable. Too bad it doesn't take the same battery as my D3400. The Pup left her D5600 battery in the charger one trip, and I was able to let her use the one from my 3400.

BF Hammer

EN-EL15C is a pretty universal battery among the higher-end bodies. Even the new Z8 uses it. I have so many of the older A type from my D7000, D600, D750. The older ones work in the Z5, just the power doesn't last as long. I would buy a 2nd C version if I did not already have 3 of the older ones. The 3 aftermarket versions I have are higher power capacity, but since the Z5 rejects them they are now reserved for my D600 and D750.

Needa

Challenge Team
Given the sophistication of batteries and charging systems today I am not at all surprise that Nikon would chose to limit the use of aftermarket batteries. The fact that the newer cameras also have in body charging adds another area for concern. We see quite often cars that the the manufacture has recalled as a fire risk asking people not to park them inside. Who wants their camera causing a house fire. The use of batteries that they have some control over seems prudent.