"solved" Spots on image NOT DUST OR OIL!

fotojack

Re: Spots on image NOT DUST OR OIL!

Yeah, I tend to agree with Hippie's assessment of the problem. By the way...what did you pay for it......probably why the seller sold it in the first place.

Dave W has a point, too. Could be dried oil left on there for an extended period. Couldn't hurt to use his advice either. It's either that, or suffer the cost of sending it in to a pro and getting it professionally cleaned or replaced.....both prohibitive, in my opinion.

Let us know the outcome, whichever way you go. :)

Englischdude

sooooo... niether intense cleaning nor silicagel have helped, guess it must be something behind the aa-filter after all. as mentioned in a previous post, there are many instructions online for disassembly of the d80 for converting to ir, for example here . i think the disasembly part should be a doddle, just the cleaning of which parts and how is what im not too sure about. any tips anyone?

Englischdude

it seems that backdoorhippie's analysis was correct. Decided to look at this now as a project and took the plunge. Dismantled the camera, removed and cleaned the underside of the AA filter and sensor, reasembled in the reverse order and hey presto the horrible spots are gone! I will need to repeat the process however as some fibres from the cleaning remained behind which are visible, I will be more thorough with the cleaning next time. I have ordered a more powerful magnifying glass so I can check for contamination before reassembly of the camera. Anyone any tips on cleaning? I used before eclipse with sensor-wand and pecpads. Need something which will not leave and fibres behind.

Regards
Martin

BackdoorArts

Gad you got it sussed out and reassembled. Keeping the stack clean from dust and fibers would be my biggest concern were I to do it, and with forced hot air heat dust is always an issue in cold weather, no matter how clean you keep things.

Englischdude

Gad you got it sussed out and reassembled. Keeping the stack clean from dust and fibers would be my biggest concern were I to do it, and with forced hot air heat dust is always an issue in cold weather, no matter how clean you keep things.

Thanks for your help, what do you mean by "forced hot air heat dust"? Do you also know how I can mark this thread in the title as "solved"?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Thanks for your help, what do you mean by "forced hot air heat dust"? Do you also know how I can mark this thread in the title as "solved"?

I will add the "solved" to your title. Thanks for letting us know how you've fixed the problem. Now others can benefit from your experience.

BackdoorArts

The house is warmed by blowing hot air through vents and not through baseboard or other radiators. This means that whenever the heat is on the air is constantly moving through the house, and if there's dust, it's moving too. Dust also gets into the vents and needs to be blown out every couple of years. Not efficient, but very American. Go figure.

Englischdude

The house is warmed by blowing hot air through vents and not through baseboard or other radiators. This means that whenever the heat is on the air is constantly moving through the house, and if there's dust, it's moving too. Dust also gets into the vents and needs to be blown out every couple of years. Not efficient, but very American. Go figure.

ah ok, i understand. I live in austria and where I live we have a floor heating system, however instead of ventilation I assume convection would carry dust particles around all the same. still trying to come up with a solution how I can get everything cleaned and put back together without contamination next time round. May look and see if there is a cleanroom nearby, now that I am a master in D80 disassembly, I could simply bring the board with the sensor and tell them to remove the filter (4screws), clean all surfaces and then reassembly the filter. Where does one typically find a cleanroom?

Last edited:

Macmagoo

Re: Spots on image NOT DUST OR OIL! "solved"

Go into your bathroom and do the sensor cleaning after the shower has been on for a while. The steam from the shower takes all the dust out of the air. Hope this helps.

Englischdude

Go into your bathroom and do the sensor cleaning after the shower has been on for a while. The steam from the shower takes all the dust out of the air. Hope this helps.

although i completely understand the logic of this, I do have some reservations. Would reassembly in a humid environment not repeat the original problem, condensation residue on the inside of the filter?

BackdoorArts

although i completely understand the logic of this, I do have some reservations. Would reassembly in a humid environment not repeat the original problem, condensation residue on the inside of the filter?

Bingo. You want it dry and clean. Wish I knew of a place to send you.

jrleo33

What you might be looking at could be hot pixels on the sensor. Try inspecting the sensor in a very dark room. In looking at your photo, some the spots look square, but I have no way of zooming in on your image. Cold or dead pixels might also be a problem.