What I am doing wrong with my D60

Raven1

I bought a lens to take picture og eclipse with the D60. The lens fits great. Went out to see if the lens was strog enough, it was. I could not get the camera to work. Took the lens off and the camera worked. I have no experience with the sun. Help

Dawg Pics

Make sure it is the correct type lens to auto-focus. Make sure the aperture ring is on the highest f#.
We need to know which lens and exactly what happens when you try to take an image? The shutter isn't firing at all?

Woodyg3

Are you saying you bought a filter to put on your lens, and that the camera didn't work with the filter on but did without it?

Dawg Pics

Are you saying you bought a filter to put on your lens, and that the camera didn't work with the filter on but did without it?
Ok, I think you are on to something there. If the OP is using a dark filter, then the camera probably won't fire because it thinks the image in underexposed. The OP probably meant filter rather than lens.

Clovishound

Or, it is unable to autofocus and won't fire because it doesn't have focus lock. In that case, switching to MF would take care of the problem.

Raven1

I bought a lens to take picture og eclipse with the D60. The lens fits great. Went out to see if the lens was strog enough, it was. I could not get the camera to work. Took the lens off and the camera worked. I have no experience with the sun. Help
this is what I bought:

K&F Concept 52mm ND1000000 Ultra Dark ND Camera Lens Filter 20-Stops Fixed Neutral Density Filter with 28 Multi-Layer Coatings Waterproof & Scratch Resistant (Nano-X Series)​

BF Hammer

That filter will produce a very black photo unless you aim at the sun, then you get whitish circle.

Do not use Auto mode on D60. Set to Manual. ISO set to 200, f/8, Shutter about 1/500s. No autofocus, it will have trouble with it that dark. You will have to try to do manual with that small viewfinder. Good news is that it is set and leave alone sort of stuff.

But, you still have not shared what lens you are using. I hope it is at least the 55-200mm lens that was popular with D60 buyers. If smaller than a 100mm lens, all you will see is a small dot for the photo.

ps: Set to Auto mode, the camera likely is also trying to use the flash, which is also counter-productive here.

Last edited:

BF Hammer

K&F Concept 52mm ND1000000 Ultra Dark ND Camera Lens Filter 20-Stops Fixed Neutral Density Filter with 28 Multi-Layer Coatings Waterproof & Scratch Resistant (Nano-X Series)​

That is a filter. A piece of glass that screws on the front end of a lens. The lens is a cylindrical part that screws into the D60 camera body. Please tell me you were not removing the lens and trying to use the filter directly on the camera.

Raven1

That is a filter. A piece of glass that screws on the front end of a lens. The lens is a cylindrical part that screws into the D60 camera body. Please tell me you were not removing the lens and trying to use the filter directly on the camera.
No I didn't