z6ii settings (changed from "BBAF on Z camera)

blackstar

Since upgrading from D3500 to z6ii, AF by the shutter button has been the only operating mode for me, kind of forgot the way of BBAF I operated with D3500. Just bought the AF ebook from Steve Perry (Fred recommended it) and read the front part of it. The section of BBAF reminds me of all the good memories when I did it with D3500, especially in recompose case, you can release BB and recompose to take a shot, and recompose again to take another shot, and so on... So I went to set it up and tried a little to bring back some good feelings... only at the end found out that there is no option to do AF with BB and SB, i.e., if set BBAF, SB won't work AF, if set SBAF, BB won't work. I am pretty sure remember that once I assign BBAF on D3500, I can use BB or SB to AF at any time without de-assign or re-assign. Now with z6ii, if set BBAF, can't use SB unless to reset, reverse the same. I wonder if there's a trick or something I missed to make BBAF with z6ii just like D3500. Appreciate your input.

Fred Kingston_RIP

It's supposed to be the A7 menu setting that allows the decoupling... You wanna select "AF-On ONLY"... there should also be an "AF-On + Shutter"... <-- you don't want that one...

Last edited:

blackstar

It's supposed to be the A7 menu setting that allows the decoupling... You wanna select "AF-On ONLY"... there should also be an "AF-On + Shutter"... <-- you don't want that one...
Ok, my bad. In z6ii it's a6 and the other option isn't AFSB, but AF-On/Shutter that's the one you can use both buttons for AF. So the dumb question: why "you don't want that one..."? My main reason for using both: sometimes my thumb is used for other tasks when engaging focus is needed... However, I also found this: when both buttons are set to AF, BB has to be held pressed for recompose just like SB! Guess this is the answer to the why? Oh well, this kind of configuration still isn't ideal on z camera anyway...

Patrick M

I went to BBF on my DSLR and stayed with it on my Z6. Any say it’s not needed, as you can touch anywho the rear screen…but being short sighted, I can easily read the EVF but need reading glasses to see the rear screen. I do like that I can leave it set to AF-C then simply choose to focus once or continuously by pressing the AF-On button.
Everyone had a view I’m afraid.

Fred Kingston_RIP

Let's discuss what BBF is supposed to do and the reasons it was devised... Historically, AF-S and AF-C were managed by a switch... You had to physically use the switch to change between the two modes... You're out doing some landscape shooting and you're in AF-S mode because you want control over the focus and you're shooting still stuff... and suddenly up pops a couple of birds flying across your view... THAT's not the time to be fumbling with that silly little switch... BBF is the solution... Technically, you set the camera for BBF and AF-C... That gives you both AF-S and AF-C control with a single Focus button... If the camera is in AF-C mode, and you press and release the AF button once, the camera focuses and when you release the button, it stops focusing on that point... effectively being in AF-S mode... <-- at that point, if you press the shutter release, you DON'T want the camera to refocus... you just want a release... Same the other way... those birds are just drifting across in front of you, so you press AND hold the focus button... and as long as you're holding the focus button with your thumb, the camera is in AF-C mode continuously maintaining focus on the birds...and you simply reach over with your forefinger and press the shutter...

There are some slight differences because Nikon did NOT develop BBF... Photographers worked out it themselves... You won't find a NIKON document that references or tells you about BBF...

If you like that little LOCKED red square and the little beep because, like me, I can't see if I'm in focus, thru the viewfinder...You won't get that in AF-C... It's only present when the camera is set to AF-S...

blackstar

I went to BBF on my DSLR and stayed with it on my Z6. Any say it’s not needed, as you can touch anywho the rear screen…but being short sighted, I can easily read the EVF but need reading glasses to see the rear screen. I do like that I can leave it set to AF-C then simply choose to focus once or continuously by pressing the AF-On button.
Everyone had a view I’m afraid.
Yes, since z cameras provide so many new features everyone would pick some and not others for his/her specific need/interest. So here come all different viewpoints and yet all supported in different ways and senses. Think about this before plunging into Z. (I am too late to return D)

blackstar

Let's discuss what BBF is supposed to do and the reasons it was devised... Historically, AF-S and AF-C were managed by a switch... You had to physically use the switch to change between the two modes... You're out doing some landscape shooting and you're in AF-S mode because you want control over the focus and you're shooting still stuff... and suddenly up pops a couple of birds flying across your view... THAT's not the time to be fumbling with that silly little switch... BBF is the solution... Technically, you set the camera for BBF and AF-C... That gives you both AF-S and AF-C control with a single Focus button... If the camera is in AF-C mode, and you press and release the AF button once, the camera focuses and when you release the button, it stops focusing on that point... effectively being in AF-S mode... <-- at that point, if you press the shutter release, you DON'T want the camera to refocus... you just want a release... Same the other way... those birds are just drifting across in front of you, so you press AND hold the focus button... and as long as you're holding the focus button with your thumb, the camera is in AF-C mode continuously maintaining focus on the birds...and you simply reach over with your forefinger and press the shutter...
Exactly pointed out in Perry's ebook. Easy recompose is added to the "press and release" benefit.

blackstar

A new feature of z: override AF and its activation option, has made me troubled great. The override function is made default on S lenses (not available for other lenses), but disabling the function can be done on only SOME of the S lenses. I happen to use the 20mm f1.8 S which is not on the list of "SOME", so can't disable the function. The problem is this lens is made with almost the whole length into its "focus ring" that when operating in AF mode my holding left hand can easily, unknowingly, inevitably touch any part of the ring and instantly switch to MF. Very troublesome! Before Nikon updates the firmware, I might deem to be disappointed. How does assigning some special function to the focus ring (as a functional ring) in AF mode to override the "override AF" work? If it does work, how does it affect MF mode? Need to try this to confirm. But if you already did, please share it. Thanks