35mm film negatives to digital ?

Ironwood

Depending on the size of the paper sheet or cardboard, I'd say about 1-1 1/2 foot. It's just a question of trial and error, but when you find the good distance and flash power, you'll be good to go. If you want to reproduce your setup, just take measurements once you're satisfied with the results.
Thanks Marcel, when time permits, I will try again using your suggestions. Will post my results.

Fred Kingston_RIP

Here's what I do...

I set my speed light with the diffuser on manual mode, pointing at me... then just aim the camera with the ES-1 at the light... I think I used 1/2 power... simple

STM

The biggest problem I see with that method is the imprecision of keeping the negative and sensor parallel in both planes. Fractions of a millimeter can make a big difference when it comes to edge to edge sharpness. And you have the problem with extraneous light. And to be honest, I would say a cell phone is the very LAST option I would use. You have several much better options to pursue. You could use a negative scanner or an attachment like the ES-1 that goes on the front of a macro lens, which has already been mentioned. A scanner has the potential to produce much higher quality scans. I use a Nikon LS-8000 with glass film holders which produce superlative scans, but both are not cheap. In fact,you can get a high end DSLR for just what you would pay for the scanner alone, but it does up to 6x6cm negatives, which are important for some of the my work I do as I still do a fair amount of film work with my Hasselblad. And they are OOP so no Nikon service. Epson does make some very good scanners which can be useful in scanning 35mm slides or negatives. Some can be had for around $100 or so.

Sandpatch

Despite the higher cost, I've pretty much decided to go with the Epson V800 for scanning my slides. I think its scan quality will be sufficient and its capacity to handle 12 Slides per scan will speed the process. I've looked further into commercial scanning, but I wince at the cost and also fear losing my slides in transit.

STM

Despite the higher cost, I've pretty much decided to go with the Epson V800 for scanning my slides. I think its scan quality will be sufficient and its capacity to handle 12 Slides per scan will speed the process. I've looked further into commercial scanning, but I wince at the cost and also fear losing my slides in transit.

This is a good choice. The scans will not be quite as good as those from a dedicated film scanner but for the web and moderate enlargements, say, up to 11x14 it is plenty sufficient.

carguy

My wife found some of our old 35mm film negatives today.
I would like to convert some of them to digital.
I watched some youtube videos and did some googling, I learnt that you can do it with a yoghurt container and phone camera, or I can buy a gizmo off ebay to do it.

Can I use my D7100 and a macro lens while backlighting the negatives with a lightbox ?
Does anyone have any experience with this ? Any help would be appreciated.

Matt Day has a few great videos on this topic. I'd use your D7100 WAY before a tiny phone sensor for scanning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aThAi4jan8

Sandpatch

Have any of y'all bought a factory refurbished item? I've noticed that a number of Epson V800 Scanners are available as "factory refurbished" from Adorama at $600, vs the newly inflated $900 at Adorama and Best Buy for a new unit or the $800 at B&H, Amazon and Walmart for new.

Adorama claims a 90-Day return-to-manufacturer warranty, but as a new product these carry a 1 Year warranty. With all of the moving parts in a scanner, I'm dubious about taking on one of these. What do y'all think?

Sandpatch

I ended up choosing the Epson V800 a few weeks ago and am well pleased with it. So far I've done mostly 35mm Slides. The V800 has two internal lenses within its hardware, so the clarity is very good. Well lit compositions look excellent, but you can't make a great scan from a lousy slide. This is understandable and isn't a surprise. The slide scan below shows that it handles shadows well and doesn't lose detail in darkened areas.

I like that I can scan 12 Slides at a time. The Digital ICE dust remover is impressive with Ektachrome, but do trust the common advice that the technology shouldn't be applied to Kodachrome films, as it leaves odd artifacts on the scan.

[Kodachrome, 11/1978 Tullahoma TN, Nikon EL-2]

1978-11 Tullahoma TN - for upload.jpg

Last edited:

choidavid

I use an Epson 850 and it is worth the investment. Mimicking scanners will only cost you your time in post and quality. It's not the most feasible option to purchase a scanner, so taking it to your local lab will be the best option!

RobV

What would you think of a Epson V500 for $85? (local)
I just saw it cross-posted on another site, for $80!

I have a Innovative Technology scanner, but I can't seem to get it to work with my Windows 10, 64 bit OS no matter what compatibility mode I try.

I am poor. I can't afford even a rebuilt V600 or V800. But I am retired, with time on my hands and snow outside...

Last edited:

nikonpup

I have a V370 that I use to copy old family photos, works fine. I have not done any slides or negatives. Make sure you get the slide and neg holders and everything works. Be aware that it will take some time to learn the software. I see B&H sells
refurbished V500's when they have them in stock for $99.95.

RobV

She said that the last time she used it was on a Windows 7 machine.

Since I can't get my current old scanner to work with any of the available emulations, I'm not in a hurry to spend more money on outdated tech.

Thank you!

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

BeegRhob

RobV

I will be using the EFH to use a DSLR and macro lens to scan my negatives, the resolution will out perform a film scanner.

The EFH arrived this week from the UK it did take 2 months to get here... Essential Film Holder (clifforth.co.uk)

This is it with the 35mm opening, I also got the 120 opening option due to my medium format Pentax.

20210217_175953 by Scott Murray, on Flickr

I will be interested to see your set-up with that, the camera and the light. (keeping things aligned)
I read his story on the link you provided. Thank you.

STM

I use a Nikon CoolScan 8000 ED but they are very hard to find and major league $$$ if you can find them. I have had mine for many years and hope it does not die any time soon, as it is the only thing I have to scan medium format negatives and I can't afford to replace it!

A good alternative is something like an Epson V370 Photo. They can be found for $100 or so used and do a decent job of scanning both black and white and color negatives and slides at 4800 dpi

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
What would you think of a Epson V500 for $85? (local)
I just saw it cross-posted on another site, for $80!

I have a Innovative Technology scanner, but I can't seem to get it to work with my Windows 10, 64 bit OS no matter what compatibility mode I try.

I am poor. I can't afford even a rebuilt V600 or V800. But I am retired, with time on my hands and snow outside...

That doesn't seem to be a bad price. Amazon is selling a new one for $579.99. The one I own is an Epson V600 that I purchased new 10 years ago for around $199.99. I've only used it a few times but never had any issues with it. Mine can scan and convert to TIFF enlargements which is nice.

Good luck if you decide to get it! :encouragement:

Scott Murray

BF Hammer

I will be using the EFH to use a DSLR and macro lens to scan my negatives, the resolution will out perform a film scanner.

The EFH arrived this week from the UK it did take 2 months to get here... Essential Film Holder (clifforth.co.uk)

This is it with the 35mm opening, I also got the 120 opening option due to my medium format Pentax.

20210217_175953 by Scott Murray, on Flickr

Scott, thanks for that link! I have it bookmarked and I will investigate this myself. I have already investigated the Nikon adapter for a macro lens and it does not look like it will work with my father's Kodak instamatic 126 negatives or my Kodak 620 negatives (same size as 120 film). But I think we have possibilities here. I bought one of those cheap slide/negative scanners that has the light and camera built into a box, with a film negative holder. It vingnettes badly and the JPEG files are not great. Takes a lot of work in post to fix them. I gave up on my project about 2/3 of the way through a few years back.