D5200 vs D7000

AC016

Dang, I just got a D5200 and now I'm wishing I bought the D7k instead. I have noticed something a little strange with the D5200. If I'm taking photo's of planes in the auto or sports mode the quality is very poor, to say the least. The good part is it has pushed me into using the manual mode and I'm learning more about the camera and as a direct result. I can still sell the D5200 and get a D7k... suggestions?

Let me understand: because of the fact that you don't know how to use your camera properly, you want to return it and get another one?? I have taken thousands of pictures of airplanes with my D5100 and they have all come out great. I'm sorry, but you can not blame your camera. Getting a D7000 will not solve your problems. You will have the same problems with the new camera. Read your manual, take classes, watch youtube, ask questions... But what you are wanting to do is not the answer. Good luck :)

Maxie

Yeah, that about summed it up, AC016... lol.

I finally made it to the airshow and took some nice photos with some great advice from this site as well as the manual. Started off with 1/1000, F8 and played with the ISO to adjust the light meter. Worked out great.

Thanks Guys!

btw, the D7100 is really looking good... Just need to save up. I like some of the features, like time lapse etc...

Maxie

I must say that I really do like the D5200. I just don't understand why I was having a problem in the auto mode and not in the other settings.

dramtastic

I must say that I really do like the D5200. I just don't understand why I was having a problem in the auto mode and not in the other settings.

Because it's auto mode. You'd likely have similar issues shooting in that mode with a D7000/7100. There's a reason why these cameras have the specialized modes as well.

saikatdatta

Dear All,
I am using D5200 since the last two years or so and somehow learned the basics of photography. My lenses are the kit lense (18-55 VR), Sigma 70-300 and nikon 50 mm prime f1.8.

Now i want to upgrade my camera for trying some serious photos if i can. i am in stringent budget. i would like to have D7000 with a 18-105mm kit lense.

Is it worth changing the camera from d5200 to d7000 or i should go for good lenses with D5200? Please highlight?

Any other suggestions is appriciated.

Thanks and regards
Saikat

JohnB

My first question would be why do you feel you need to change to a D7000? What limitations do you have with the D5200?

saikatdatta

My first question would be why do you feel you need to change to a D7000? What limitations do you have with the D5200?

There are some reasons for which i want to buy a new cam..

1. I am going to get some old lenses that will not autofocus in D5200.
2. My plan is to advance in the field of photography and so just thought to feel with a semi pro camera.
3. Most importantly my D5200 is having some cleaning issues with the sensor as it was mis-used by one of my ..............
it will bear some charges to get it in right shape but i am not sure whether it will be as fine as it was.

thanks

JohnB

That makes sense, if you need to spend money to fix the D5200 it may not be worth it. I would suggest that you look at the D7100. The D7000 is a great camera, but the D7100 is was a pretty big jump in features and performance. The price difference may not be that significant now. You may also want to look for a D300 or D300s.

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard. Enjoy the ride.

I would go along with JohnB and suggest that for a little more money you get the D7100 or even the D7200 and skip the 18-105mm lit lens, which you really don't need.

saikatdatta

That makes sense, if you need to spend money to fix the D5200 it may not be worth it. I would suggest that you look at the D7100. The D7000 is a great camera, but the D7100 is was a pretty big jump in features and performance. The price difference may not be that significant now. You may also want to look for a D300 or D300s.

Thanks
Actually i am from india where D7100 is costing me 20000 INR more than D7000 which is way above my budget. Thats why i have thought of D7000.

What is your suggestions about buying D7000 or wait for anothe 5-6 months to accumulate money to buy D7100 atleast?

Appreciate all of your help.

Regards