D7200 exposure problems

Calum

Hi - Paul (?)- Can't call you Horoscope Fish!!
This is very helpful indeed, I will read both articles with interest.
My concern has simply arisen because I do not remember the D90 being as fickle!
As a matter of interest - and I am trying to think of an extreme situation, if you were trying to capture a bird in flight against a blue sky, and perhaps even using 3D tracking for autofocus - what exposure mode do you think you would use? In matrix I suspect I would get a silhouette of the bird, if I used spot metering, presumably the focus point would in all likelihood be off centre and therefore be exposed for the sky rather than the bird? Just a thought?? Anyway - thanks again - appreciated. Calum

Horoscope Fish

Hi - Paul (?)- Can't call you Horoscope Fish!!
LOL... Paul is fine.

This is very helpful indeed, I will read both articles with interest.
My concern has simply arisen because I do not remember the D90 being as fickle!
As a matter of interest - and I am trying to think of an extreme situation, if you were trying to capture a bird in flight against a blue sky, and perhaps even using 3D tracking for autofocus - what exposure mode do you think you would use? In matrix I suspect I would get a silhouette of the bird, if I used spot metering, presumably the focus point would in all likelihood be off centre and therefore be exposed for the sky rather than the bird? Just a thought?? Anyway - thanks again - appreciated. Calum
Ugh... That's a tough scenario you lay out because your assumptions are correct (at least to my understanding) as far as choosing a focus-point and the resultant exposure. All I can say is, I've tried shooting BIF's and quickly gained a new respect for those who can consistently "nail the shot" because wow... That is some difficult shooting!

I can only suggest you look at the Birds in Flight thread(s? (I think there's two?)), find a couple people who seem to know how to handle that kind of shooting based on what you see and ask them how they do it, because in all honesty, I don't know.

Calum

Paul - sorry, did not want to cause brain strain! Perhaps because I have seen the BIF shots in advertising material (I think) I have expectations that are not based on the reality of this challenge. I will have a good session experimenting when I get home at the weekend - for now I am very grateful. Cheers Calum

Horoscope Fish

Paul - sorry, did not want to cause brain strain! Perhaps because I have seen the BIF shots in advertising material (I think) I have expectations that are not based on the reality of this challenge. I will have a good session experimenting when I get home at the weekend - for now I am very grateful. Cheers Calum
You're very welcome... Hope you get this all sorted out.

Cheers!

roughman998

Well!
For some reason, my Nikon D-7200 started rendering photos that were way too dark.
I thought it was the lens. I thought it was the body.
I searched the internet; found posts that wanted to tell me about histograms.
The fix? Adjusted Exposure Compensation to Zero.
Problem solved!