External DVD Burner for Mac

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I am looking for suggestions for a DVD burner that is compatible with Mac. I've had this one by LG that is great with Windows. But even though it states it's compatible with Mac, it isn't. I'd like to keep the cost to $50 or less.

There is an Apple USB SuperDrive that is $79, but I really can't justify the cost for something I will rarely use. Any ideas?

Fred Kingston_RIP

I have the Apple USB Superdrive... As well as an Asus SDRW-D8D1S-U... They both work fine on my Mac... although, very, very slow... DM me your particulars, and I'll send you one...and if you like it... you can send me whatever you think it's worth...

BF Hammer

Interesting. If you follow the product link and search the reviews for "mac" there are multiple reviews that say it works, with only 1 that says otherwise.

I have been using the same Memorex DVD-burner for about 14 years. I don't have any experience with something current that way.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The thing is I tried contacting LG through their website (no email available). When I try to submit my questions, instead of accepting the info I entered, it simply takes me back to this page. The problem is I don't know whether any of the software is for Mac, and I cannot find the installation disc that came with it.

I'd still like to try and get this to work. However, the 1-star reviews on B&H (where I purchased it) aren't very impressive.

I pulled out my Windows 7 laptop to at least burn the necessary files to a disc.

@Fred Kingston, thank you for the offer. Let me try to get this resolved if possible. I also have a LightScribe burner but not sure if there are any compatible drivers for it either. Both of my burners are at least 5 years old.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I *think* I finally got this burner to work - at least I'm in the process of trying to burn videos to a DVD. According to an LG rep, there is a known issue with this burner and newer iOS updates since the burner was released back in 2015. He said it wouldn't work with iOS Monterey which is what I'm running. Guess I will find out soon. However, I had to get DVD burner software so I chose Cistem (it's a paid app).

Fred Kingston_RIP

You don't need software for a Mac... The software is baked into the Mac's OS... such that it is... Plug in into the Mac, open the drive and put a new CD in the drive, and close the door... It may take a few minutes to grind some gears, but eventually, you should get a popup on the screen telling you to use Finder to select the files you want to burn...

Report back if you get this far...and I'll help you with more...

This post was in queue and apparently I didn't POST it a few days ago. I just noticed it...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
You don't need software for a Mac... The software is baked into the Mac's OS... such that it is... Plug in into the Mac, open the drive and put a new CD in the drive, and close the door... It may take a few minutes to grind some gears, but eventually, you should get a popup on the screen telling you to use Finder to select the files you want to burn...

Report back if you get this far...and I'll help you with more...

This post was in queue and apparently I didn't POST it a few days ago. I just noticed it...
According to what I read online, to burn videos additional software is required. However, for data files etc I don't think it is necessary. It didn't work ... well, it burned the disc but the sound wasn't in sync with the video. The first atttmpt wouldn't even burn. The files are between 1-2GB total, but when trying to burn them in high quality, the overall file size jumped to over 4GB. And a DVD only holds 4.7GB (at least these Lightscribe ones I tried to use). It just couldn't do it - I guess the size was just too large. I'll have to see if I can send the files via We Transfer instead.

Fred Kingston_RIP

There are several different file formats for video depending on the intended platform/audience and purpose...Of course, as we know well, compression reduces size and quality... What exactly are you going to do with these videos??? Is there a specific audience or target platform?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Just wanted to share video with a friend but want to retain the clarity of higher resolution.

Fred Kingston_RIP

Short answer, No, it uses a H.264 Codex... Here's what it outputs -- sophiaSlideShow, 1920x1080, 29.97 FPS, SDR (8-bit 4:2:0, 1-1-1) That's a 1090p High Res File...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Short answer, No, it uses a H.264 Codex... Here's what it outputs -- sophiaSlideShow, 1920x1080, 29.97 FPS, SDR (8-bit 4:2:0, 1-1-1) That's a 1090p High Res File...
Thanks. This is something I can play around with. In the meantime, I sent the videos using We Transfer. BUT ... I really want to be able to do this in the future so thank you for your help, Fred!