I finally gave in and now have doubts about my decision...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I was mistaken... the D500 ships with an EL-15b, not EL-15c. I did check the two third-party EL-15 type batteries that I use with my D750 and it has no trouble with them.

Now, I just need some time to play with the new camera!

Just make sure that your third party batteries have at least the same rating as the original 'b' battery of 1900 mAh / 14 Wh. You can always go with a battery that has higher specs, but it is never recommended to go with one that has less. If you are using the touch screen and/or not in airplane mode, the battery will drain much faster.

That second 'c' battery I purchased is what I've been using in my D750.

Have fun with your D500. It's an amazing camera! :encouragement:

desmobob

I got out for a short hike with the new D500 this afternoon. I had the impressive, under-rated AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G mounted and my old AF 180mm f/2.8 with me in my daypack. It was a dark, dreary, overcast day. (And the wonderful Adirondack black flies were out! :( )

I'll have to do some reading on the focus settings. I liked using AF-C and 3-D so I could center the subject, partial press the shutter button to get focus, then recompose with the focus staying on the subject as I moved it around in the frame.

I was using this a lot until I took my first photo in vertical orientation. The AF did not act the same and would not stay on the subject when I recomposed. When I pressed the center button on the rear multi-control to center the AF rectangle, it wouldn't even show the little dot in the AF box like it did when the camera was in horizontal orientation.

Is this normal, or is there a setting I need to change?

Here are a couple of sample snapshots with no editing. At first I was thinking they were all too dark, but I guess they are true-to-life as it was a very dark day. I shot in Aperture Priority, Auto ISO with the setting for Minimum Shutter Speed all the way to the right; "Faster." It seems everything looked a half- to 2/3-stop underexposed.

_DSC0038_05-03-22_305_DSC0038.jpg

_DSC0049_05-03-22_306_DSC0049.jpg

_DSC0055_05-03-22_307_DSC0055.jpg

Last edited:

desmobob

I'll have to do some reading on the focus settings. I liked using AF-C and 3-D so I could center the subject, partial press the shutter button to get focus, then recompose with the focus staying on the subject as I moved it around in the frame.

I was using this a lot until I took my first photo in vertical orientation. The AF did not act the same and would not stay on the subject when I recomposed. When I pressed the center button on the rear multi-control to center the AF rectangle, it wouldn't even show the little dot in the AF box like it did when the camera was in horizontal orientation.

Is this normal, or is there a setting I need to change?

It was a setting issue. I had selected both focus point and area selection in the menu regarding orientation. Changing that setting now has it acting the way I had intended.

desmobob

The autofocus on the D500 is everything I'd hoped it would be, and much more. Its AF performance is fantastic and the ways it can be implemented are ingenious. I programed three completely different AF profiles, all instantly accessible on the fly with no menu changing.

I took a short hike today and had my AF 180mm f/2.8 on the camera. I spooked three mallards up off a small marsh and pulled up the D500 and let her rip... it had no problem locking onto and tracking the three birds. I surprised a wood duck at a small lake and had the same result... I was able to maintain proper focus as it flew off.

The lens wasn't long enough for the job, but the images showed the D500's AF (on AF-C and Group settings) got the job done admirably. I have only used this camera briefly for two days and I'm already in love with it.

Bikerbrent

Congratulations on your purchase and am very glad you are a happy camper. Enjoy this great camera and let us see some of your results!

desmobob

Thanks Brent. It's a hectic time for me at the moment but I hope to get to spend lots of time with the D500 in the near future. Whenever I do get to use it, I seem to find one more thing that impresses me.

I did some quick lens comparison tests this afternoon and I was shocked at the speed at which the NEF files (14 bit, lossless compression) were downloaded to NX Studio. If I were to guess, I'd say about three times faster than downloading them from my D750. Nice.

D'Grump

I’ve had my D500 for about 2 months now, and 2 things I’m finding that I dislike are the shooting banks, and the viewfinder info bar at the bottom of the viewfinder. The banks do not work the same as they do on my D7100 and I like the way that those work over the D500. The viewfinder info bar is a lot darker than the one on my D7100 is, and I wear glasses which makes it even worse! Still going thru Darrell Young’s book on Mastering The Nikon D500, and learning that there’s a lot more to learn about this beast. Very pleased with the results I’m getting so far, and it looks like the D500 is taking some really good pictures in spite of the photographer! So…….the learning continues. Enjoy yours!👍
Andy

desmobob

Thank you, Andy. I'm really enjoying this camera a lot... it reminds me of the time way back in the past when I bought my first F4s. That camera seemed like an absolute miracle of technology at the time along with being a joy to use. (It's still my all-time favorite Nikon but the D500 could dethrone it!)

desmobob

Settings mistake...

I got to shoot a little more with the D500. I went for a short hike and carried the 18-70mm DX and old AF 180mm f/2.8. When I got home and downloaded and looked at the photos, it almost felt as though I was being slapped in the face with each image... garish! I then remembered reading a D500 owner's comment that the images from that camera were just too contrasty for his taste. I was starting to think that was an understatement and was a little bummed.

Then, I checked my settings and found I had somehow changed the Picture Control to "VIVID." On the D500, when Nikon says "vivid," they aren't fooling around.
;)

WvE

Picked up a D500 a few weeks ago, one of the last (new) ones, to complement my Leica M. The D500 is so versatile, no regrets!

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard WvE, enjoy the ride. Congratulations on your D500 and we look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.