MacBook Pro: RIP

Dawg Pics

@bluzman Thank you. I didn't know those existed.
@Whiskeyman. Thank you. If I were you, I wouldn't want to give that up either. I am used to a smaller screen, and this is just a hobby for me, so I am good with a smaller screen. However, I am used to the Retina displays. ARGH!

Dawg Pics

After much nail-biting, I decided to get the Mac Mini M1,16 GB Memory, 512 GB SSD, 10 GB Ethernet.
I could have waited to see if they offer the M2, but I know this will work for my simple photo editing needs, and I like the ports that it has. I can add external storage as needed and hubs if necessary. So, now I just need a display. :confused:

I thank you all for your input, and I appreciate that you don't mind sharing your knowledge with somebody like me who understands very little about stuff like this. I'll probably be asking more questions in the near-future. :)
:cheerful:

Fred Kingston_RIP

Go to Amazon and search for "HDMI computer monitor"... That should give you enough selection to get started... You can refine the search by settling on a target size and price-point... Once you narrow that down to a few...Link them here, and we'll let you know if there's any "gotchas"...

Dawg Pics

@FredKingston
Thank you. I'll start looking.

I am picking up the Mini on Friday. I hope I won't regret my M1 decision with the M2 chips coming out. I know I don't want a laptop, and right now those are the only Macs with the M2. Go figure.

Woodyg3

Contributor
@FredKingston
Thank you. I'll start looking.

I am picking up the Mini on Friday. I hope I won't regret my M1 decision with the M2 chips coming out. I know I don't want a laptop, and right now those are the only Macs with the M2. Go figure.

I've got the last Intel iMac before they got the M 1 chip, and everything works very fast and well on Photoshop and Lightroom. The Topaz software apps work well, too, and move along at a reasonable speed. I'm sure you will have even better performance on your new M 1 Mini. Congrats!

Fred Kingston_RIP

I wouldn't worry about a Mac Mini M2 at this point... The earliest rumored ship date is 2023... I expect a significant price increase over the M1 also... It appears that the M2 chip, in testing, is faster than Apple's Mac Pro which is a $6,000 machine... I'm sure Apple isn't going to launch a faster, cheaper box that eats into their higher end computers without significant equalization in pricing and features...

Dawg Pics

I hate making decisions.
After looking at monitors and features, I could just get the 24" desktop with 16 GB and 512 storage with a retina screen and call it a day. It has only 4 ports and a gigabit ethernet.

I was looking at the ASUS ProArt display, but I would need to see it in person.

Tired of thinking about it and don't want to spend the money on it, which isn't helping.

@Woodyg3
I was discussing that with my husband. My last computer was an Intel, and it ran fast enough for what I use it for. Seems like I am always 1 step behind on tech is why I was wondering about the M2 chip, but I am sure the M1 is fine especially with 16 GB behind it.
@hark I remember that thread.

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

I have been looking at monitor specs, and I have a question about them. I found maybe one that has a power cord, the rest do not. Am I supposed to be changing out a battery in these things or do they charge up from the unit? Sounds like a dumb question, but I haven't located any information about it.

Dawg Pics

I'll see if I can locate the one that said it has a battery, but I am probably just misunderstanding something I read, and explains why I have been so damned confused. I even looked at the back of a display today trying to figure out how it was getting power if it didn't have a power cord. Any way, I really feel dumb even thinking something like that.
:shame::unconscious:

@Bikerbrent
I dunno. I read something about a lithium battery, and later I read a description for another monitor that said something about a power cord or AC port or something. Somehow, my brain turned that into they have batteries, and I couldn't make sense of it. I am extremely tired. I had a bad bout from my thyroid that had me down-for-the-count for a couple days last week. When that happens, I have zero energy and get really confused. Literally, can't think straight. One time, it was so bad that I had to leave work because I was looking at my equipment and didn't know what button to push. I almost crashed on site. This last episode was that bad, I had a struggle making coffee, which is something I have done virtually every day for decades. I crashed for the better part of 2 days. I am still tired.

Dawg Pics

@Bikerbrent
Ha Ha.
I think I figured out what I was looking at. Some portable monitors use a USB-C cable to power it using integrated batteries (like you stated), but how I managed to make the leap that MOST of the new monitors are like that just boils down to me not thinking straight or reading the entire monitor descriptions. :rolleyes: :unconscious:
@FredKingston
Mystery solved. I was most likely reading a 'portable' display description, and made the mental leap that MOST of these monitors are built like that. When I tried to research it to confirm, I came up with nada. This morning, I thought to put in the term "portable," and found some USB-C powered monitors. Thinking more clearly today, but not by much. I still feel a bit dumb because I couldn't figure out why the heck they would build computer monitors like that. Well, they do but not for desktop systems.

Sorry guys, as soon as I figure out what the heck I am going to do about a monitor, I'll post a link or two for some advice.

Last edited: