ML Z + long lens + gimbal

Clovishound

It's the 200-500 F5.6 Nikon with an FTZ adapter to the Z5. I had it in AF-S single point. That's what I use for most of my shooting, unless it's a fast moving item or animal.

blackstar

Clovishound, if you and Moderator agree, let's merge your thread (Got a gimbal tripod head for Christmas)
and mine (How do you shoot BIF with long lens on a gimbal tripod?) into a new thread: "ML Z + long lens + gimbal" So all can discuss and share in one thread. Of course, a moderator is needed to implement the merge.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Clovishound, if you and Moderator agree, let's merge your thread (Got a gimbal tripod head for Christmas)
and mine (How do you shoot BIF with long lens on a gimbal tripod?) into a new thread: "ML Z + long lens + gimbal" So all can discuss and share in one thread. Of course, a moderator is needed to implement the merge.
I'm OK with that.
I'll try. Where would you like to go - Z lenses?

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Moved blackstar's thread to other photography equipment. Trying to figure out how to move yours there now. No seeing a merge.

blackstar

Can't stand seeing Chris and Clovishound out taking wonderful shots with gimbal gear... So grab the day that sky opened a little after the past 2, 3 weeks and went out to try a little test and practice around the yard. The scene and subject (no BIF) weren't so much, but the feeling of using and handling the whole gimbal thing was delightfully easy and smooth, and effective. No more hard impact on mind and body from handholding the small canon. Attached are some images below (all still). The bird was shot from a very far away (look at the original image, last one). If you notice the tree branches under and around the bird are well sharper than the bird, that is because I used "Large wide-area AF" mode. So the camera makes focus on the branches in the big focus rectangle box instead of the bird which is also in the focus box though. If I use "point" focus mode (small box will only cover or inside the bird), the bird would be captured in better sharpness?

2023-01-06_14-55-05gimps.jpg

2023-01-06_15-03-20gimps.jpg
2023-01-06_15-06-39gimps.jpg

2023-01-06_15-06-45 (2)gimps.jpg

2023-01-06_15-06-39s.jpg

Clovishound

Well, Blackstar, my experience has been that I do better with the single point focus area, and single. If I'm dealing with moving items, I switch to auto. I don't like auto for most situations, because it will often grab the wrong point to focus. The down side to single point, is that I frequently move the box to an edge inadvertently with the little joystick controller. I have the animal face detection on, but that only comes into play when in auto mode, as I understand. I really need to work with the different autofocus modes a little more, but often I don't want to deviate from what I know works while on an outing, which have been far too infrequent, in the 10 months I have had this camera.

Yeah, I can go practice on tree rats in the back yard.

Clovishound

Well, the Pup and I were going to go to Magnolia Plantation and Gardens today. She bailed, so I went back to Cypress Gardens. I got a few long distance pics of the wood ducks. You have to be extremely careful not to spook them. I was trying to sneak up on an opening in the brush to get some closeups. One very small crunch of gravel under one foot and they took off. I think I may need to go another cold morning (minimizes the chance of another visitor at the park walking the trails) and just quietly set up right away at one of the two most likely spots. Then just wait for them to come back. By about an hour to an hour and a half after the park opens, they leave anyway. I need to remember to bring a stool. The spot I have in mind requires me to set the tripod low. I can't kneel for 45 minutes to an hour.

At this point I can't imagine shooting a long lens without the gimbal.

Not great, but sharper than the last duck pic.

_DAB3695.jpg

The mocking bird was there again, and didn't seem to worry about me. I swear I could have walked over and picked her up.

_DAB3730.jpg

This one grates a little on my composition sense, but I do like the duck on the right taking a gander at me.

_DAB3701.jpg

Clovishound

OK, the Pup and I went by Magnolia Plantation and Gardens today. We got our annual membership cards. This will entitle us to go on their early opening days. They have one Monday, and I'm going to try and make it. They open at 7:00 which is about 20 minutes before actual sunrise. I was surprised by how many wading birds were in the old rice field, which they had just done a controlled burn on. I would like to get some pictures of these birds during the golden hour.

Gimbal worked like a charm and I managed to get some BIF pics with the turkey vultures that were hanging around. They were nothing special, but gave me some valuable experience. I found that I sometimes had trouble getting the camera to lock focus on the bird, but once I did, it followed it very well.

_DAB3945-2.jpg

_DAB3941-2.jpg

And here's one of the wading birds shot with the gimbal. Man that thing makes shooting with a long lens so much easier and more enjoyable.

_DAB3786.jpg