Moving some things to different server - you may see some weirdness

Kevin H

Does it seem to be hanging up on anything in particular? Any page in particular?

If it also doesn't work with png, it's not a file type issue, but something with the uploader.

Can you try something in Chrome for me quickly?

1. On any thread page, go to quick reply and click the "insert image" icon
  2. press Ctrl+Shift+I
  3. Ctrl+F on the Dev tools window
  4. Paste in "clientscript/yui/uploader/assets/uploader.swf" into the search box

Is that file found in the source code? If so, does it load without throwing an error? (like a 404)

All Pages

wev

Contributor
Okay, got it - so one of two things is happening:

Something in Firefox is blocking the flash player plugin. (Old versions of flash player are blocked by FF - check this page: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/)

Something is specifically blocking flash uploads on this site. Since regular uploads work, it's specific to flash uploads.

My Flash version is up to date. I don't know why a block of flash uploads here would suddenly start two weeks ago. I have made no changes in FF or my security programs. I have done a careful check and I have no restrictions on anything involving this sight anywhere. Betas the hell out of me.

wev

Contributor
@jdeg

The site on FF continues slower than ever after the server move. In addition, Chrome will no longer open the site

2017-02-07_174818.png

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
@jdeg

The site on FF continues slower than ever after the server move. In addition, Chrome will no longer open the site

View attachment 244288
Okay, that provides a clue. Kind of. Either the year is set wrong on your computer, your security settings are setup weird in chrome, or a firewall/Antivirus is set to not allow public keys or TLSv1.2.

I'm going to guess it's an Antivirus since FF is slow. It has something to do with ssl.

What does this setting say in chrome? chrome://flags

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wev

Contributor
Okay, that provides a clue. Kind of. Either the year is set wrong on your computer, your security settings are setup weird in chrome, or a firewall/Antivirus is set to not allow public keys or TLSv1.2.

I'm going to guess it's an Antivirus since FF is slow. It has something to do with ssl.

My clock/date is correct. chrome//flag doesn't say anything about ssl. I have reset everything to default and still get the same error. I have no bans or restrictions set in Norton AV. I have tried disabling all AV protection, but it makes no difference -- same error.

Chrome was working properly last week.

wev

Contributor

Following up with FF:

2017-02-08_064459.png

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
My clock/date is correct. chrome//flag doesn't say anything about ssl. I have reset everything to default and still get the same error. I have no bans or restrictions set in Norton AV. I have tried disabling all AV protection, but it makes no difference -- same error.

Chrome was working properly last week.

Specifically what does this setting say? chrome://flags/#ssl-version-max

For firefox, that's just because of an image trying to load that isn't under https.

wev

Contributor
Specifically what does this setting say? chrome://flags/#ssl-version-max

For firefox, that's just because of an image trying to load that isn't under https.

It doesn't show me anything, just opens the Experiments page. "#ssl-version-max" is not found doing a search.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
It doesn't show me anything, just opens the Experiments page. "#ssl-version-max" is not found doing a search.

What version of Chrome are you using again?

Either way, I made a change to something with the SSL cert. Clear cache(s) and see if that makes a difference.

If it doesn't then it has to be something with a DNS cache either on your computer or with your ISP.

wev

Contributor
What version of Chrome are you using again?

Either way, I made a change to something with the SSL cert. Clear cache(s) and see if that makes a difference.

If it doesn't then it has to be something with a DNS cache either on your computer or with your ISP.

The current version -- installed fresh last week.

Cleared cache, cookies, history, et al. Same results. I cleared my DNS cache, ditto. Earthlink says it isn't anything to do with them.

To hell with it. I have no use for Chrome anyway. I will just continue my slow one by one plod with Firefox.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
The current version -- installed fresh last week.

Cleared cache, cookies, history, et al. Same results. I cleared my DNS cache, ditto. Earthlink says it isn't anything to do with them.

To hell with it. I have no use for Chrome anyway. I will just continue my slow one by one plod with Firefox.
One more idea... try changing your dns to Google if it's not already. https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Your system is still acting like it's pointing to the old server address, which would cause the problems you're seeing.