New image size restrictions & instructions for inserting images hosted elsewhere

jcottone45

Re: New image size restrictions & instructions for inserting images hosted elsewhere

Are my 850,810 & 750 files so big they can't be uploaded to my gallery??? I am at a loss as to why else I can't upload my photos??

Joe Cottone sr

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Re: New image size restrictions & instructions for inserting images hosted elsewhere

Are my 850,810 & 750 files so big they can't be uploaded to my gallery??? I am at a loss as to why else I can't upload my photos??

Joe Cottone sr

Joe, you need to resize your photos to 1000 on the long side. That should work.

Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
2. Resolution set to 72ppi (Pixels Per Inch)

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

jcottone45

I do't know what that means? How do I resize any photos? As I do have many to add!!
This site is very strange, I left for 3 years and it seems it's gotten worse, meaning less user friendly, I have a gallery at flickr thats easy to enter/edit/upload, terrible at support but at least I can do what I like there!

Last edited:

nikonpup

I have found I can resize to 2048 on the long size, which I use to post on other sites. Nites will resize my files to 1000 px. I do 300 ppi as
I do not worry about someone using my pics. On Nites you can select an option that will block someone from downloading you pics.

jcottone45

Hi Fred:
I am lost here, don't know if I am pitching or catching! I have no idea what resizing means nor do I know how big my files are, i only use photos on my iMac to download all my photos nothing else! I do upload to flickr with out any problems. I always found this site so frustrating & complex to the point of not user friendly at all!! I like the people here & have a friend since I joined back in sept 2010 but I have had so many problems since I joined.
I see you live in Port St. Lucie Fla, you probably should not bother with my problem since your about to have a very big storm hit you, I wish you the best of luck & safety !

Fred Kingston_RIP

Joe...

This will be very easy. When you save/copy your files from camera to the Mac, it save the file as a JPG file. It also, saves the file in a specific size based on your camera's settings. Those settings tend to create a file that is too large for the forum. Considering that the forum pays for server space based on the amount it uses, you can certainly see that thousands of photographers uploading thousands of images can get quite expensive as well as create server performance problems. Hence the limitations.

Here's a very simple way to make YOUR images smaller to fit both within the forum's guidelines, and still make your images suitable for viewing.

Double click on one of your images.
Your image should "OPEN" in the Mac's Preview application.
Along the top menu bar, select the TOOLS tab.
A box then opens with "ADJUST SIZE" as an option. Select that option.
Another box opens and you can adjust the image's size by adjusting the height/width and the Resolution
Simply change the resolution value to 72 pixels/inch
If you look to the bottom of the box, you'll see the new size has been reduced.

You can also change the heightXwidth values to something smaller like 5X7"

Once you've done the above, remember to go back to the top menu and select FILE/Save to save the changes you just made.

The resulting file should now be small enough to upload to the forum.

Good luck...