Nikon 16-35 f/4 or Tamron 15-30 f/2.8

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If sharpness is your main concern, you'd better get a few prime lenses. They usually over perform any zoom lens.

I agree. The sharpness of primes is really hard to match when it comes to zooms.

Sorry I'm a bit confused... the 24/70... Nikon or Tamron? I'm looking for the sharpest.
Thanks Cheers

Between the Nikon 16-35mm and the Tamron 15-30mm, DXO Mark's tests on the D810 have the Tamron scoring higher for sharpness.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Comp...el-A012-Nikon-on-Nikon-D810__373_963_1420_963

I have the Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G (not the AF-D version which isn't nearly as good), and even mine scored a little higher than the 16-35mm. However, I've seen photos taken with the 16-35mm, and it is no slouch!

I believe the Nikon 16-35mm is weather sealed. Not sure about the Tamron. The Nikon will have a metal mount. Not sure about the Tamron. Those are things you might want to consider. Good luck with whatever you choose.

todd7500

Those are razor sharp (Pictures in post#15). That's what I want. I am slowly upgrading cameras and lenses till I get it. Trying a D810 and Tamron 24 70 now Im not sure if the Nikon would have been sharper so I ordered one of them (Used Adorama 30 day return policy thank god) I will do a side by side and see which is sharper (in my eyes)
I think I have been to that spot... Near "The Flats"? I want soooooooooooo bad to shoot the steel plant (I think it used to be Republic)
BTW nice composition. Much PP?

Last edited: