DSCN0135.jpg
DSCN0124.jpg
p900

nikonpup

DSCN0111.jpg
DSCN0108.jpg
DSCN0104.jpg
253 shots battery exhausted
for me, i feel frustrated. It is a nikon, just way different than what i am used 2. D600/610 d7100 d5100 d50
i cannot shoot bursts of hi res shots, you need to drop down a notch.
I have a hard time with focus, the zoom range changes so fast i lose focus lock, then i need to move back or zoom in and recompose for the shot i want.
Menus drive me nuts, many new terms to learn.
Vr: Off - normal - active i am using active seems to work well.
5 more days. :)

I am looking at getting the Coolpix P900 for my wife thinking it would be smaller but from the description it seem to be larger than her D7000. No place local has one to go lay hands on to see for myself. Can anyone who has played with it tell be how large it is compared to the DX cameras like the D5100 or d7000?

mikew_RIP

I am looking at getting the Coolpix P900 for my wife thinking it would be smaller but from the description it seem to be larger than her D7000. No place local has one to go lay hands on to see for myself. Can anyone who has played with it tell be how large it is compared to the DX cameras like the D5100 or d7000?

Why the P900 Don,ime interested to know if it has anything over the P610 apart from Zoom size,this gives an idea of the size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llduUIh2dDk

Why the P900 Don,ime interested to know if it has anything over the P610 apart from Zoom size,this gives an idea of the size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llduUIh2dDk

It looks like it is about the size of the d3100 just a little smaller than the d7000. I want something that will give her close to the same quality she is getting now but in a smaller package. I also like the idea of the longer zoom and I would assume it will do macro. It also has all the modes including full manual. Does the p610 fiver all that with the exception of the super long lens which I really think is too long for her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikew_RIP

Not looked at everything on both cameras,the zoom on the P610 has in my mind to be considered a 258mm FX cropped down on the sensor,the macro i have not used much because i cant get down to ground level easily so i tend to use the normal zoom at its closest focusing distance.
As for quality its different things to different people as you know,i find ime happy as far as forum posting is concerned so long as i dont need to crop which for birds can be tricky,not done any printing but its generations ahead of a fuji 602 we had years ago and i could print A3 from that no problem.
The P610 has the full range of modes including a U mode which i have not looked into but guess its a user mode.

nikonpup

don, i rented one for a week to see what it was like (rent <$100 for 7 days). It was not for me. Imo view finder and display suck.
I could not see the view finder in sunlight. The view finder is small, i would loose sight of my subject when zooming. Maybe just my old eyes. Hated the back panel control knob, it was hard for me to rotate cw or ccw, to slick. Camera will do x#fps but not in max resolution. Does not shoot in raw. The camera takes nice pictures and is amazing at max zoom, just this old pup is comfortable with his dslr's.

okulo

I was very tempted to buy a P900 when I was weighing up my options before buying a D5500.

If I have the spare cash, I will get one as a toy and accept its limitations.

I really don't understand what there is to complain about, though. I remember seeing a 'review' in the early 80s for a superzoom lens which turned out to be an April Fools joke; at 400mm in its 'sample' images, it showed a window in a tower block. The last image showed a couple in bed pulling the sheets up to cover themselves up. Even that fictional lens had nothing on the P900's 83x zoom.

I'm genuinely tempted to start selling my vinyl rarities or even go overdrawn for the first time in over a decade. Nah! Not that tempted.