Old Tripod Disposal

Whiskeyman

First of all, how are they broken? Do you have any idea if they could be repaired? If so, and you don't want them anymore, could there be a local high school that could use them for a photography class or the yearbook staff?

A few years ago, I had an old broken Bogen tripod that I was able to purchase the spare parts for and repair. It was fairly easy to do the repair.

If you don't want to repair it, offer it for sale online; maybe someone can use it to repair their tripod.

Dawg Pics

First of all, how are they broken? Do you have any idea if they could be repaired? If so, and you don't want them anymore, could there be a local high school that could use them for a photography class or the yearbook staff?

I had an old broken Bogen tripod that I was able to purchase the spare parts for a few years ago. After repairing it, I gave it to a local photographer who was having trouble holding their camera due to physical problems. It kept them in the field for another year or two. Afterwards, they gave it to the local high school for use by the student yearbook staff.
One has an old pistol grip that won't come off. I have no idea what my Dad did to it to make it so stuck on there. There is s screw broken off that tightens down the legs. I could drill it out and get another screw for it, but I wanted to get a sturdier tripod to replace it anyway.
I can't remember what is with the other one. Thanks for the suggestions.

BF Hammer

Assuming aluminum legs, they can be sold as scrap at a scrapyard. Could be worth pennies!

The way to maximize the sale amount is to dismantle the tripod to get all the separate metal parts isolated. Then the aluminum gets a higher "clean aluminum" rate. Separating steel, brass, and copper also yields higher value. Discard the plastic. Save up bags of cans to sell with it.

Many office machine service techs will save up old parts that are often machined aluminum for months in boxes and take the scrap to get beer money. And it pays to strip away all the non-metal bits for maximum value.

Dawg Pics

@BF Hammer
Right on about the pennies. I have a friend who stored lots of scrap metal in her back yard. When she sold it for scrap they had enough to go get some dinner.
I am trying to get rid of my hoard. I tend to save things that I think I can use. Right now, my cans go in a separate bag in my recycle bin for a neighbor who collects cans all around the neighborhood. We just bag the cans and plastic bottle that she can sell. I figure she needs the money if she is willing to go into every recycle bin around here. I think her garage is full. Maybe I'll dismantle the legs and put them in with the cans for her. Good idea.

nikonpup

51uH0G+hBKL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

if u r handy u could repurpose it into a lawn sprinkler - some pvc pipe and a sprinkler head.

Danno

You might have to break it down if it is an aluminum tripod, but the legs and other metal parts should be recyclable. If it is carbon fiber, I am not sure it could be recycled.