Burst speed for wildlife photograph (Z8)

blackstar

What's your take on setting burst shoot speed for wildlife photos? With Z8 you have two options: Low and High. You can set low speed from 1 to 10 fps; for high speed, you get 10 to 20 fps (30 - 120 fps has limitations). This two-option setting makes me much annoyed and bothered when shooting wildlife. I heard quite a few experienced photographers suggest setting the highest fps the camera is capable of (usually 20 fps for high-end bodies) and agreed. But the first time I tried, I felt it was overkill. I lowered it to 10 fps but still found too many repeated images, and the card clanked up very fast with too many files (like 1000+ images in 1+ hour). I realized most subjects I shot were still or slow-motion type, so maybe 5 fps is a proper setting. Then it changed to the Low option and no direct access to the 20 fps that is needed for BIF photos (I have to switch to the High option first and select 20 fps using the "i" button). Is it possible to custom assign a button to switch between 5 fps and 20 fps? (I already used: Fn1, Fn2, video, Fn3) Like to hear all your thoughts and comments. Thanks

Woodyg3

If it was me, I would just stay at 20 fps. The bird might take off, the deer might run, the ducks might start a fight with each other, etc. I want to always be ready for action when it occurs. For still subjects I just take 2-3 shots at a time and pause.

Clovishound

The other option would be to set one of your user defined modes. Set it up for BIF and you could very quickly switch from static wildlife settings, to BIF, with a higher FPS rate.

blackstar

If it was me, I would just stay at 20 fps. The bird might take off, the deer might run, the ducks might start a fight with each other, etc. I want to always be ready for action when it occurs. For still subjects I just take 2-3 shots at a time and pause.
Thanks for the advice. It's my (and many other experienced shooters) original thought and very true in practicality. But I have my own two faults: when shooting stills I would pause after about 0.5-1" that wouldn't be 2-3 shots unless reduced to 3-5 fps; and although I am old, I seemed never be patient enough to wait until subject takes off or takes action abruptly. I think I'll go back to 10 fps and practice for pausing after 2-3 shots. Then I can move to 20fps.
P.S., I think 10fps is more or less appropriate for BIF. An example (Z8 z186+TC1.4 10fps):
2024-02-29_13-07-50G1sTlight.png

blackstar

The other option would be to set one of your user defined modes. Set it up for BIF and you could very quickly switch from static wildlife settings, to BIF, with a higher FPS rate.
Z8 Uses shooting banks for different shooting settings (landscape, BIF, portrait), but those do not include "release mode" setting. Even if those banks take release mode settings, it is still not fast enough to change banks.