D4 is Mind Blowing!

Cowleystjames

Makes sense now lol here is a picture of my setup.

e6yqynyg.jpg

Why do I get turned on now by pictures of cameras and lenses? Steady boy......

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Vincent

Is it still, mind blowing?

So I was trying to look at my set up.

I have lenses from 11mm to 300mm and then still a 500m and 600mm.
I can do better on lenses, but what I have suits my current usage.

My main camera is still the D7000, it performs better then most will admit.
When it gets difficult I go to the Sony A7S, also a super performer, but a limit on AF performance. (I do love the manual use with old lenses on Art projects)

I was looking at the D500 and D5 to complement my set-up once I get budget again (this will only be May 2018) after blowing an advance on the 600mm lens + laptop.

The goal is to have some AF for early and late wildlife shoots, the D7000 lacks ISO performance and the A7s AF, second goal to improve AF on BIF.
Clearly the Multi-Cam 20k AF is what I want, but I`m not convinced about the D500 ISO performance and the D5 will probably will remain expensive too long.

Conclusion, the D4 will be possible earlier and the AF should be sufficient for the high ISO shots I go after. It should leave budget for a D500 follow up soon enough after.
As lens a 300mm PF is somewhere in between with some budget left for some other purchases.

Since this is the first pro body I will have, it will be an unbelievable experience. How mind blowing will it be though? (compared to a body with group area AF)

Is it still, mind blowing?

So I was trying to look at my set up.

I have lenses from 11mm to 300mm and then still a 500m and 600mm.
I can do better on lenses, but what I have suits my current usage.

My main camera is still the D7000, it performs better then most will admit.
When it gets difficult I go to the Sony A7S, also a super performer, but a limit on AF performance. (I do love the manual use with old lenses on Art projects)

I was looking at the D500 and D5 to complement my set-up once I get budget again (this will only be May 2018) after blowing an advance on the 600mm lens + laptop.

The goal is to have some AF for early and late wildlife shoots, the D7000 lacks ISO performance and the A7s AF, second goal to improve AF on BIF.
Clearly the Multi-Cam 20k AF is what I want, but I`m not convinced about the D500 ISO performance and the D5 will probably will remain expensive too long.

Conclusion, the D4 will be possible earlier and the AF should be sufficient for the high ISO shots I go after. It should leave budget for a D500 follow up soon enough after.
As lens a 300mm PF is somewhere in between with some budget left for some other purchases.

Since this is the first pro body I will have, it will be an unbelievable experience. How mind blowing will it be though? (compared to a body with group area AF)

Very old thread with the OP no longer around.

If you are looking to move to FX and low light performance you really should look at the D750. It is fantastic at low light. Check all your lenses to see if they are usable on FX. I shoot BIF with my D750 and Tamron 150-600 and love it. The AF on the D750 is very fast.

Nikon D4 vs D750 - Our Analysis

Blacktop

Very old thread with the OP no longer around.

If you are looking to move to FX and low light performance you really should look at the D750. It is fantastic at low light. Check all your lenses to see if they are usable on FX. I shoot BIF with my D750 and Tamron 150-600 and love it. The AF on the D750 is very fast.

Nikon D4 vs D750 - Our Analysis

Thanks @Vincent for bringing up this old thread. I have no interest in the D4, however it was nice to read some of Sam's old posts. I miss Sam!:(

Vincent

This really hits the point, where I have no doubt that the D750 is an incredible improvement over the D7000, compared to the Sony A7s it will loose its whow factor at high ISO. My first point remains high ISO and the D750, while extremely good, will just not add enough I fear (I`m lacking the experience though) for the investment.

What I really would want confirmation of is that the D4:
- while being a bit less then the D4S and the D5 (on high ISO alone the A7s is extreme, but with 12 Mpix)
- keeps the "Mind blowing" factor compared to a D7200, d750, d810 and even a D500 (which all have their strong points). This due to the concept of the Pro machine, the extra electrical power, the processing, AF sensor, the shutter mechanism made for high speed/ minimal blackout. Where for example these have reached or surpassed the D3S capabilities, without making the D3S rediculous in this line up, IMHO.

Now for 2018 this might have changed all together.

PS: I only have 1 DX lens left the 11-16 and I`m keeping that one (fantastic 16mm f2.8 rectiliniar FX).

Vincent

...What I really would want confirmation of is that the D4:
- while being a bit less then the D4S and the D5 (on high ISO alone the A7s is extreme, but with 12 Mpix)
- keeps the "Mind blowing" factor compared to a D7200, d750, d810 and even a D500 (which all have their strong points). This due to the concept of the Pro machine, the extra electrical power, the processing, AF sensor, the shutter mechanism made for high speed/ minimal blackout. Where for example these have reached or surpassed the D3S capabilities, without making the D3S rediculous in this line up, IMHO.

I think this might be the answer: https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-d500/2
Tom Redd about the D500
I want to mention a word or two about tracking a subject such as birds in flight, while using a burst. One thing that I notice when shooting bursts in continuous high mode, is that I seem to have more black-out time than with the D4. Both cameras have essentially the same frame rate at 10 fps, and yet the black-out time between shots seems noticeably longer with the D500 than the D4. This black-out period makes it a bit more challenging to track a bird in flight than with the D4 or D4s. I thought it was me and when discussing this with John, but he was as surprised as I was to find out that we both had come to the same conclusion. I’m not sure if it’s me, an illusion, or if it’s real, but it feels real to me and that might be a small niggle in what is otherwise an excellent camera.
I am finding that I have far fewer missed shots than with any of my previous Nikon DSLRs. The difference is hard to place a number to, but I can say this, it is not a small or incremental difference. The difference is significant. Overall, the AF system of the D500 is so good that I find that I grab the D500 over the D4 in almost every instance. The D4 still has the edge in the low light/high ISO department as far as I’m concerned.

Conclusion a mixed bag, D4 not "mind blowing" but still at the highest level with its own advantages:
- high ISO where you can position yourself (e.g. weddings) => D4 seems to be the preference (if not D4S or D5)
- AF functionality is essential => D500 has a large advantage (with a slight ISO disadvantage)

Last edited:

bandit993

How would you compare image quality of a D4 to a D7200. I have a D7200 and find it has very good image quality, but would like to know what some of you are thinking. Maybe someone has both cameras? A D4 has come up for sale but at $3000 Canadian I would want to know that it produces at least as good if not better quality pictures. Because at the end of the day images is what it is all about. Thanks

How would you compare image quality of a D4 to a D7200. I have a D7200 and find it has very good image quality, but would like to know what some of you are thinking. Maybe someone has both cameras? A D4 has come up for sale but at $3000 Canadian I would want to know that it produces at least as good if not better quality pictures. Because at the end of the day images is what it is all about. Thanks

Not just the camera but you would need all new lenses. if I were you I would not even think about it. Much better choices like the D750 that would allow you to buy the lenses you will have to have to shoot a FX camera.

bandit993

Thanks Don. So my sigma 70-200 or 150-600mm C wouldn't give good picture quality on a D4? Maybe I will hold out for a drop in price on a D500... A d750 isn't much different than the D7200 in quality I hear. Other than it is full frame.. Thanks again..

jay_dean

As Brad has mentioned i do have both cameras. However, i use them for completely different jobs. My D7200 is only ever used for birding and aviation with my 500mm f/4 and has never had any of my other lenses attached to it (except the 150-600). My D4 is used for my paid work and other bits and has never had the 500 attached to it but has been used with all my other lenses so i can't really compare the images like for like.
I do love the IQ on the D4 but if i was cropping heavily its the D7200 every time. In conclusion, it depends what its used for as i see them as different tools to do different jobs

Last edited:

bandit993

Thanks jay_dean. I do mostly wildlife, so there will be some cropping. Guess it is best to stay with crop sensor bodies. I should just ask you my questions,you always have a good answer. Thanks again.