D750 Shutter Error Message

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I continued to have problems with this today, but I am narrowing down what's happening immediately prior to the camera freezing up with an ERR message.

Due to what I saw, I don't think this is specifically a mirror or shutter problem although it's related to both of those things. It happened again on my very first shot. Please keep in mind I switched to Center Weighted Metering a while back and love getting more consistent metered images than I got with Matrix Metering. But I'm wondering if something is wrong with the metering.

When I turned on my camera today, I glanced at the settings knowing I used the same settings outside yesterday. Everything looked good, but a split second before I pressed the shutter button, I noticed the shutter speed was flashing at 1/4000". It shouldn't have been quite that fast although I do prefer using a fast shutter speed. When I composed the image, the shutter speed was a little slower than 1/4000", but it changed and locked up on me immediately before pressing the button.

A number of other images I framed up seemed fine until a split second before I pressed the shutter button. Those too suddenly indicated a flashing 1/4000" shutter speed even though that isn't what I saw when I framed up the shot. I even lowered my ISO and still saw the 1/4000" flashing inside the viewfinder at times (but not every time). In one photo, it is quite underexposed because the shutter fired at 1/4000" when it was supposed to be slower.

But because I"m seeing this immediately prior to pressing the shutter button (and I wind up NOT pressing it), does it sound like it could be the meter, or do you think it is some other type of electrical error? :confused: Any ideas?

The camera is now set for Matrix Metering so I'll see if this continues to happen.

Scott Murray

Try setting it in manual exposure, manual ISO and adjust your settings up until you get to or above 1/4000th sec and see if it locks up.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Try setting it in manual exposure, manual ISO and adjust your settings up until you get to or above 1/4000th sec and see if it locks up.

Thanks, Scott. That's a great suggestion. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to give it a try. I've used manual with flash, but the shutter was only set at 1/60"--didn't experience any problems then. This afternoon I pulled out my Gossen light meter in case I do have to switch to manual. Hadn't thought to try testing it that way though. ;)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks, Scott. That's a great suggestion. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to give it a try. I've used manual with flash, but the shutter was only set at 1/60"--didn't experience any problems then. This afternoon I pulled out my Gossen light meter in case I do have to switch to manual. Hadn't thought to try testing it that way though. ;)
You don't really need your Gossen light meter to use the manual mode. The camera's light meter still works but you have the choice of shutter speed, aperture and ISO and have to adjust them as you go or the lighting condition changes.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
You don't really need your Gossen light meter to use the manual mode. The camera's light meter still works but you have the choice of shutter speed, aperture and ISO and have to adjust them as you go or the lighting condition changes.

I know what you're saying, Marcel, but sometimes the metering just goes haywire. Since I'm in aperture priority and choose my aperture and a set ISO, the camera selects the shutter speed. Haven't yet been out to try the camera in manual. Just figured if I have a light meter, I can count on it being accurate. Like you said, I may not need it, but I will take it as a precaution. I REALLY liked using my D750 in Center Weighted Metering instead of Matrix Metering; however, I need to see if changing the type of metering makes any difference. Besides, I imagine I might get more reliable metering using my handheld meter taking an incident reading instead of a reflected meter reading. My matrix metering quite often needs to be overridden which I didn't find happening very often in Center Weighted Metering. I'm going to switch out of Center Weighted Metering to see if the problem persists and would prefer using the handheld meter (incident) instead of matrix.

From what I've read, many people have experienced shutter problems with the mirror locking up and the camera freezing. What I don't know if their metering went haywire like mine...or possibly people never noticed? Theirs were particularly shutter issues. Just trying to isolate the problem. Haven't been out since the problem happened last--hopefully soon though! ;)

Thanks for your comment. I always appreciate your input!

Samo

Late last month Nikon issued a second shutter advisory on the 750 shutter. Check it out. Your shutter is beginning to fail and soon will fail completely. I'd blast a few hundred at 4000 shutter speed and try to finish it off and then send it back.

Blacktop

Late last month Nikon issued a second shutter advisory on the 750 shutter. Check it out. Your shutter is beginning to fail and soon will fail completely. I'd blast a few hundred at 4000 shutter speed and try to finish it off and then send it back.

Do you have a link to this, because the second advisory that I am aware of was about a year ago.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I continued to have problems with this today, but I am narrowing down what's happening immediately prior to the camera freezing up with an ERR message.

Due to what I saw, I don't think this is specifically a mirror or shutter problem although it's related to both of those things. It happened again on my very first shot. Please keep in mind I switched to Center Weighted Metering a while back and love getting more consistent metered images than I got with Matrix Metering. But I'm wondering if something is wrong with the metering.

When I turned on my camera today, I glanced at the settings knowing I used the same settings outside yesterday. Everything looked good, but a split second before I pressed the shutter button, I noticed the shutter speed was flashing at 1/4000". It shouldn't have been quite that fast although I do prefer using a fast shutter speed. When I composed the image, the shutter speed was a little slower than 1/4000", but it changed and locked up on me immediately before pressing the button.

A number of other images I framed up seemed fine until a split second before I pressed the shutter button. Those too suddenly indicated a flashing 1/4000" shutter speed even though that isn't what I saw when I framed up the shot. I even lowered my ISO and still saw the 1/4000" flashing inside the viewfinder at times (but not every time). In one photo, it is quite underexposed because the shutter fired at 1/4000" when it was supposed to be slower.

But because I"m seeing this immediately prior to pressing the shutter button (and I wind up NOT pressing it), does it sound like it could be the meter, or do you think it is some other type of electrical error? :confused: Any ideas?

The camera is now set for Matrix Metering so I'll see if this continues to happen.
If your metering (CWM) was in a shadow and your shutter speed was close to 1/4000, it's possible that when you recomposed the CWM moved in a bright area. This (if you were in A mode) would cause the shutter speed to go to a faster speed and 1/4000 being the fastest, it would then flash. Now, there might (I never checked) be a menu item that would prevent you from taking a picture when the shutter speed faster than 1/4000 is required... I know I've seen the flashing shutter speed number to but was never prevented to take the shot, but there might be something in the menu preventing the accidental overexposure. Maybe, this could be your culprit. You could try to replicate the incident and then try to replicate it again but with a much lower iso number so that you'd stay under the fastest shutter speed when you recompose.

I hope this is all that is going wrong with your camera.

Samo

Do you have a link to this, because the second advisory that I am aware of was about a year ago.

Sure... https://petapixel.com/2016/03/01/nikon-recalls-d750-shutter-issue/ Service advisory came out day before. Google deeper than Nikon and petapixel and you will find droves of confused but soon to be mad camera owners. The serial number range is mysterious to these owners. They have higher serial numbers but their camera shutters freeze too. Eventually they lock up. The language used by Nikon is couched to make people think it an extension of the first advisory. Its hog wash. Just like the 600 they are not fessing up and hoping it will go away. The 750 shutter is a major big time problem. It self destructs particulary at fast shutter speeds. Google D750 shutter freeze. You'll see. Nikon is burying their head in the sand. They do not want to recall all of those 2000 dollar cameras again.

For those of you who think made in Thailand is the same as made in Japan. Whatever. There is a reason they are made there. But believe what you want to believe.

Here is advisory #2. It is BS.

Service Advisory

Last edited:

Ad B

Hi,
Sure... https://petapixel.com/2016/03/01/nikon-recalls-d750-shutter-issue/ Service advisory came out day before. Google deeper than Nikon and petapixel and you will find droves of confused but soon to be mad camera owners. The serial number range is mysterious to these owners. They have higher serial numbers but their camera shutters freeze too. Eventually they lock up. The language used by Nikon is couched to make people think it an extension of the first advisory. Its hog wash. Just like the 600 they are not fessing up and hoping it will go away. The 750 shutter is a major big time problem. It self destructs particulary at fast shutter speeds. Google D750 shutter freeze. You'll see. Nikon is burying their head in the sand. They do not want to recall all of those 2000 dollar cameras again.

For those of you who think made in Thailand is the same as made in Japan. Whatever. There is a reason they are made there. But believe what you want to believe.

Here is advisory #2. It is BS.

Service Advisory

Like Blacktop wrote before... Service advisory is a year old...
Nothing wrong with checking your serial numbers, but many did this a year ago.
My shutter broke a week before this SA came out, was in the numbers, cam got afraid... I think. :p
Have done 7500 clicks after the repair, still in love. :eek:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi,

Like Blacktop wrote before... Service advisory is a year old...
Nothing wrong with checking your serial numbers, but many did this a year ago.
My shutter broke a week before this SA came out, was in the numbers, cam got afraid... I think. :p
Have done 7500 clicks after the repair, still in love. :eek:

Mine is one of the ones listed for shutter replacement, but I've been holding off after having problems with my D600 oil spot issue. They didn't do a great job with it. During one of the three repairs, the sensor came back scratched. Not in any hurry if I can find a work-around! ;)

Glad yours is going strong for you. :)

Samo

I hope your issues, if you have them, with these cameras get resolved and resolved correctly at no cost to you. However there are enough reports of shutter failure to cast a black cloud on this camera. Just look at some of the other prominent Nikon forums. The rumor mills are ripe on the 760 being released soon as well. Sounds like a familiar trick a la D610 to me. Just my opinion. They are great cameras when they function as intended but very expensive paper weights otherwise. There is a reason a certain camera is the number one wedding camera and has been for some time. They are stone cold reliable. That reliability factor built the house of Nikon. Sorry but that cannot be said for certain concerning the 750. To many strange stories on a few Nikon models the past few years. To many strange stories about the 750 I'm afraid.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yesterday I went out to see if switching from center weighted metering to matrix metering made any difference. Nope. Locked up on my first image although this time just doing a half-press of the shutter button resolved the mirror lock up issue. In all other instances, I had to turn the camera off. It only locked up with the first image though. Next time I'm out I will switch to manual mode--actually forgot to do that yesterday because this goose caught my attention.

Normally I'm not into birding but this guy/gal was pretty animated and vocal. Decided to try photographing it while it was flying although I don't use back button focus. It was kind of fun trying to photograph the goose so I might give back button focus another try as I know it helps track the subject while keeping focus. These images aren't super sharp, but I thought it's face was comical.

This first one had the tips of the wings in the image until I set the lens profile. Ahh well....

DSC_2971 lo res.jpg

DSC_2972 lo res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Then you just should forget about the lens correction for this particular shot. You can always manage the vignette manually and go from there. Use your raw file.

Lol--I just finished editing the original by adding the tips then I expanded the canvas at the top. Different crop than the first but I really couldn't figure out a crop that I preferred. If I had gotten more on the right with the water splashes from its feet, it would have made for a better image. Oh well...I was really out there to test for the shutter problem. ;)

DSC_2971-1 lo res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I am still experiencing the shutter error, but it's happening a little differently now. Initially as I started to press the shutter button, I could see the shutter speed jump up to 1/4000" while flashing (meaning the shutter speed is too high). If I stopped and didn't actuate the shutter, the shutter speed would return to its normal reading. In reality, my shutter speed was always below 1/4000" so I've been leaning towards the cause as being a software glitch. At the beginning, since I didn't realize it was happening, I'd see the shutter speed jump up just as I pressed the button. So I started to keep watch for it and was able to keep it from happening.

The thing is...now the shutter speed no longer jumps up to 1/4000" when the ERR happens so my guess is now the shutter is actually beginning to fail. However, I have yet to have it happen while I'm in manual mode. :confused:

Here is a screen shot taken from a video I recorded. I'm holding off on sending mine in because I'm afraid I will be in the same boat as @Blacktop where this won't be fixed even if the shutter is replaced. I'm definitely leaning towards there being a cause behind the shutter failure but am trying to document everything. Unfortunately I waited too long before trying to get a video of it for Nikon to review because I can't get it to show the shutter speed jumping up high like it did EVERY time it happened. :(

Shutter ERR.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Just want to update with the latest on the shutter err. I decided to hold off until it happened in total Manual Mode (without Auto ISO)--which it finally did. So I sent Nikon a message asking if the software can be completely erased as I am leaning towards this being a software issue. I made it clear that I wasn't asking about an update to the firmware. The Nikon rep said there isn't any way to remove the software. Plus...when doing a camera body reset, it DOESN'T reset the software. That only resets the menus.

Since this only happens on the first shutter actuation of the day, I am holding off on doing anything. From what I've read online, I'm not the only one with this issue. Although mine is one of the cameras that is covered under the shutter recall, I honestly don't think changing out the shutter will end the issue. So for now I will simply keep using it until the shutter completely fails. I even had two times when the shutter DIDN'T fail on the first shutter actuation, but otherwise it happens every time only on the first actuation of the day. If I turn it off for a short time then turn it back on again, it doesn't happen.

By the way, the original guy who answered my Nikon questions doesn't appear to work there anymore. When this new guy asked for a sample photo, his comment was, 'it's an underexposed image.' It was a totally black image. So I uploaded the image that immediately followed the shutter err image (which had the exact same EXIF). Of course he had to correct himself. My conversation with this guy was still in the same thread as the discussion with the first guy. Obviously this guy didn't bother to review the previously submitted images as well as any comments by the first Nikon rep.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I am resurrecting my thread because Monday I experienced the ERR once again. I do recall momentarily seeing the shutter speed of 1/4000" flashing just before I pressed the shutter. And in one of my previous posts, that was an indicator. I still try to make sure the body is in standby before turning it off. Ever since I've been doing that, the issue hasn't happened. All I needed to do was to click the shutter button again, and it fixed the issue. I'm not sure if the shutter is sticking or if the mirror gets locked causing the viewfinder to be blocked. But the second click made everything return to normal. Since I had such a bad experience with my D600 at the Nikon repair facility, I am not yet ready to send it in. This one was also on the shutter recall list (which is now expired), but I never sent it in. But the issue isn't specifically a shutter problem. In the past I read an online post about someone who wound up having the CPU replaced by Nikon which resolved his issue.

Peter7100

I am resurrecting my thread because Monday I experienced the ERR once again. I do recall momentarily seeing the shutter speed of 1/4000" flashing just before I pressed the shutter. And in one of my previous posts, that was an indicator. I still try to make sure the body is in standby before turning it off. Ever since I've been doing that, the issue hasn't happened. All I needed to do was to click the shutter button again, and it fixed the issue. I'm not sure if the shutter is sticking or if the mirror gets locked causing the viewfinder to be blocked. But the second click made everything return to normal. Since I had such a bad experience with my D600 at the Nikon repair facility, I am not yet ready to send it in. This one was also on the shutter recall list (which is now expired), but I never sent it in. But the issue isn't specifically a shutter problem. In the past I read an online post about someone who wound up having the CPU replaced by Nikon which resolved his issue.

Cindy, Have you tried the reset solution I posted a while ago as I know it can clear more than just the original faults that people were having? Probably won't work but nothing to lose trying it.