Firmware update for z 20mm f1.8 S

blackstar

There is a new firmware update (V1.10) available for actually all prime z S lenses - 20mm, 24mm, 50mm, 85mm - to support linear manual focus control via the lens control ring. IMO, this is much welcome and needed especially for the 20mm that I acquired for the nightscape shot. My first z lens (24-120mm f4 S) was already updated for this function much earlier this year. Just curious about what rotating angle you guys set for use? 720 degrees (2 turns), 360 degrees, or any < 360 degrees?

Fred Kingston_RIP

There is a new firmware update (V1.10) available for actually all prime z S lenses - 20mm, 24mm, 50mm, 85mm - to support linear manual focus control via the lens control ring. IMO, this is much welcome and needed especially for the 20mm that I acquired for the nightscape shot. My first z lens (24-120mm f4 S) was already updated for this function much earlier this year. Just curious about what rotating angle you guys set for use? 720 degrees (2 turns), 360 degrees, or any < 360 degrees?
90º... That's the angle all my polarizers work at...

blackstar

I see, but how does the set angle affect your manual focusing operation? Theoretically, a larger rotating angle would make more accurate result, but slower to achieve. Small angle would enable fast focusing but may be less accurate. Is there any guideline that provides choices for different shooting scenes? e.g., macro, nightscape, etc.

Fred Kingston_RIP

When I manually focus or adjust a polarizer, I don't want to be standing there rotating a lens barrel ad nauseum waiting for results... I have many OLD manual lenses... the ones that get used are the ones with the least rotation... I have an old Tokina 300mm from the early '50s and I swear it takes 3 full revolutions to focus...

With Nikon's systems and the little "green dot" telling me when "focus is achieved"... I don't need a long(wide(?)) rotation...