Nikon DF VS D4

SacrificeTheory

Wondering if I should buy used from borrowlenses.com

I've rented their lenses and they're a great company. But nothing beats the smell and feel of an untouched lens ;)

Brian

If you are going with all AF lenses- you are paying a premium with the DF for something that you will not use. My first impression of the DF is really good, I like the sensor. Noise is very low- even better than with the D4 from what I have read.

SteveSFO

I just recently gave up my D4 after shooting with the DF for about a month. Since a majority of my work is currently not based on the need of having ultra high frame rates or need to shoot at 1/8000s, I made the switch and let the D4 go (while resale value I still ok). I primarily shoot photojournalism, street and models photography. The DF works just fine.

mauckcg

"The Holy Trinity" for Nikon I guess would be a good thing to have.

So would you suggest not bothering getting the 35mm 1.4G if I already am getting the 85mm? I heard the 35mm is good, but nothing exceptional.

Check out Sigma's 35 1.4 Art. Couple of reviewers like it better than the first party 35 1.4's.

Sambr

I just recently gave up my D4 after shooting with the DF for about a month. Since a majority of my work is currently not based on the need of having ultra high frame rates or need to shoot at 1/8000s, I made the switch and let the D4 go (while resale value I still ok). I primarily shoot photojournalism, street and models photography. The DF works just fine.

What a bummer - bet you wish you had a D4 now.

crycocyon

As far as camera body...if I'm going full frame from my current D7100, I figured I might as well get the best of the best. And that would be the D4 from what I gather.

Well, the D4 is the third most expensive in the current Nikon lineup, but it isn't the "best". It is the best at what it is intended for, namely excellent responsiveness, high ISO capability, accurate and fast autofocus even in low light, and high frame rates. Portraits and landscapes don't require any of that, at least generally speaking. The D800 or D800e would be better for those applications where resolution is important, high dynamic range, and excellent color depth. The Df is suited to work requiring a light-weight, more unobtrusive and "pure" photographic instrument. So, just going for the "best" or most expensive shouldn't be your goal, but rather what your actual needs photographically will be.

STM

Granted, I have yet to hold one and only found out about their existence today, but the Df and D4 are almost apples and oranges. The D4 is geared pretty much solely for the professional market. And it is priced thusly.

The Df has the same sensor but has a focus more on the advanced amateur with a film camera background. I do a fair amount of commercial work but would not spring the money for a D4. But the sensor's are the same so you are getting equivalent IQ for considerably different prices. I have all AI/AIS lenses and never see me getting an AF lens. I just don't see a need. I have 14 AI/AIS Nikkors from 16-600mm. Why switch? All are professional quality and fast for their focal lengths.

And don't get caught up in that 16MP vs 24MP or 36MP furor. Unless you plan on making MURAL sized prints, the differences are not worth the mention.

tnabbott

I agree with Dave. Get the good glass. Df or D610 would be a good start.

Sent from my iPhone.

I agree. If video is important the D600/610 wins. But, I will say the D600 is not as durable in my limited experience. I started with the D600 and have moved on to the DF and D800 combo, which seem to be tougher construction.