Opinions please. Thinking of selling dslr & switching to compact camera.

Blacktop

Exactly!! I'm going out to shoot some sunsets later. Not going to take my 200-500 with. Just my 24-120and my 20mm . (Oh yea, and taking Max as well.):)

http://nikonites.com/general-compac...dslr-switching-compact-camera.html#post587239

Well, this quote just bit me right in the ass tonight. I did go out to shoot a sunset in my beautiful mountains, and I was greeted with a forest fire and a few fire fighting helicopters. I could have used my telephoto. I did make due with the 24-120 however. HA. Always putting my foot in my mouth it seems.:)
Here are a few shots of this said fire.

http://nikonites.com/project-365-s/34623-blacktops-366-day-trip-through-2016-a-44.html#post587393

Well, this quote just bit me right in the ass tonight. I did go out to shoot a sunset in my beautiful mountains, and I was greeted with a forest fire and a few fire fighting helicopters. I could have used my telephoto. I did make due with the 24-120 however. HA. Always putting my foot in my mouth it seems.:)
Here are a few shots of this said fire.

http://nikonites.com/project-365-s/34623-blacktops-366-day-trip-through-2016-a-44.html#post587393

Those shots are great. the long lens might have been a bit much

480sparky

thappl.gif

Bikerbrent

I finally made a decision. I'm keeping my dslr & purchasing a second compact camera.

Good move. This way if the compact camera doesn't work out, you have the DSLR to fall back on. Several years ago a bought a compact camera thinking I would use it for light weight travel option. Now it is sitting and collecting dust. Couldn't live with the shutter lag of an otherwise good camera.

mikew_RIP

I see you have made your decision and it makes sense,i will add a summary from some one who shoots wild life and has made the change.

If you get back to this point again the only way you will save weight and bulk is by dropping sensor size,as Dave said earlier it doesn’t matter what you choose the lens size is mainly dictated by the sensor size.

I have a P900 and have a use for it but it would not make a cover all camera, you would need to be looking at a m4/3 or 1 inch sensor, m4/3 is well covered by Olympus and Panasonic the 1 inch sensor is at the moment a bit of a also ran for wildlife with the best options in the superzoom type camera like the Sony rx10 mk111.

A mirrorless camera does run behind a DSLR in many areas but and this is the important aspect its not far behind,depending on your subject interest it can be equal to a DSLR.

EVF black out is a thing of the past with the latest cameras set up correctly,focus speed is on a par with all but the top end DSLRs for AFC and AFS,EVF lag is still there for action shots but again its nothing like people think,your taking fractions of a second..

If you have a need to change like I did to be able to continue photography then I have no hesitation in saying do it, I saved 1kg in weight going from a D7200 with a 150-600 (FOV 225-900mm) to m4/3 with a 100-400 (FOV 200-800mm),if its just a fancy and you do any sort of action photography give it a couple of years.

C. Hand

My two cents worth, I am just back from a point and shoot, I missed setting the depth of field. I had some great shots, but they could have been so much better blurring a background or choosing what is in focus. I will not be so quick to give that control up again!

Daz

Mirrorless is actually heavier than a DSLR so dont be fooled that because it is a smaller body it is lighter... You need a decent backpack and a second body so you can have a telephoto on one and a standard/wide angle on another ...

Thanks @wornish and @weebee for the disagree thumbs down but I dont really get what you are disagreeing on?

Nikon D750 - 755g
Nikon 85mm 1.4 - 595g

Total 1350g

Sony A7RII - 625g
Sony 85mm 1.4 Gmaster - 820g

Total 1445g ?

So As I said, the dont be fooled a Mirrorless system isnt lighter than a DSLR ...

He is missing shots because he is changing lenses, well wither anticipate the lens you need better or the OBVIOUS solution, carry 2 bodies ...

Again, what are you disagreeing on?

Osantacruz

The Nikon would be a massive downgrade. The best you could hope for is maybe the Sony RX10 III with a 1" sensor and massive zoom if you don't want to swap lenses. A Sony alpha wouldn't be a great choice because the body will be expensive, the controls cumbersome (my a6300 compared to any DSLR is kind of a pain in the ass for usability) and would take just as long to swap lenses which Sony makes sure are very expensive. If you wanted any sort of zoom you'll have a 55-210 option that wouldn't save you much space compared to a Nikon zoom in that range or the 70-300 which is $1k+. An rx100 like someone else suggested is also 1" sensor but at a 24-70mm equivalent zoom wouldn't meet your needs. Maybe get a used 28-300 or whatever is the dx equivalent because if you're even considering the p900, aperture must not be a concern of yours. That way you'd have only 1 body and lens for about the price of the p900 which has amazing zoom but not much else going for it.

singlerosa_RIP

My two cents worth, I am just back from a point and shoot, I missed setting the depth of field. I had some great shots, but they could have been so much better blurring a background or choosing what is in focus. I will not be so quick to give that control up again!

I have an old Canon PowerShot S90 (2010) that I use when I don't want to lug around a DSLR or use my iPhone. It can shoot RAW as well as fully manual, has an f/2 lens, zooms from 28-105, has dual control rings and is small enough to fit in my pocket.

weebee

Thanks @wornish and @weebee for the disagree thumbs down but I dont really get what you are disagreeing on?

Nikon D750 - 755g
Nikon 85mm 1.4 - 595g

Total 1350g

Sony A7RII - 625g

Total 1445g ?

So As I said, the dont be fooled a Mirrorless system isnt lighter than a DSLR ...

He is missing shots because he is changing lenses, well wither anticipate the lens you need better or the OBVIOUS solution, carry 2 bodies ...

My Olympus OMD E-M10 with the 40-150mm lenses is over a pound lighter then the D7100 with the 18-140 on it. And much smaller. That was why I gave the thumbs down.

Last edited:

wornish

Nikon D750 - 755g
Nikon 85mm 1.4 - 595g

Total 1350g

Sony A7RII - 625g

Total 1445g ?

Read my full post #9 I said if the mirrorless has an APC or full frame sensor then they weigh about the same because of the lens size its just physics.

If its a micro 4/3 then they are a lot lighter. A micro 4/3 has a 2x crop factor on a full frame.

E.g. weight
................................D750 ...........................................OMD EM1
Camera ......................840 grams....................................497 grams
Nikon lens 24-70..........900 grams .....Oly equiv 12-40.......382 grams

This makes the FF option 1740 grams vs 879 grams for M4/3 excluding batteries grips etc.

source : Compact Camera Meter

Or if you want to go telephoto at 600mm FF

600mm lens ..............3810 grams....equiv 300mm........ 1270 grams

Making
FF total weight 4650 vs M4/3 1767 gram

As the focal length increases the difference in weight does too.

Last edited:

Llionny

I want to unload all my dslr gear as well. Or so I think. Seems like every time I sell a body or lens I buy two more.

One of these days I'll regain control.

weebee

After having a mirrorless rig for about 8 months. I can say I very much like them, I actually have two Mirrorless rigs now. They certainly are good cameras that take very, very nice pictures. But, I have not yet been able to cut the cord with my D7100. Though, with my advancing arthritis in my neck. Time will tell. The only time time I'll be replacing my P900 is when the replacement model comes out. It is rumored to have a 125x zoom.

06Honda

Buy a Nikon D500 and keep the D7100 as backup and with a different lense on it and your good to go. If you have a few lenses no point in selling them as you will not even get close to your money back.