Post your Portrait shots!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Browncoat, I was having so much trouble getting my 300mm PF to auto focus sharply that I found single point gave me the most keepers. BUT the AF issue appears to be the lens itself. So since I am using a different 300m lens, I really should try one of the other types of focus options with multiple points. I think Dynamic was the one I tried several times without success - so maybe I will start there. :encouragement:

Browncoat

CUSTOM SETTING MENU
- a Autofocus
- - a3 Focus tracking with lock-on
- - - Blocked shot AF response
- - - - Changed from 3 to 2 (faster)

- f Controls
- - f1 Custom control assignment
- - - AF-ON button
- - - - AF-area mode + AF-ON
- - - - - Group-area AF

- - - Sub-selector
- - - - Same as multi selector

- - - Sub-selector center
- - - - Select center focus point

Like most people, I shoot in single point AF by default. The above setup allows you to quickly switch to group AF (5-point) with a single button press that's right by your thumb. You can also move focus points around with the joystick, then re-center the focus points by pressing the joystick.

For a bird sitting on a branch, you can move the single focus point to the eye and press the shutter button half way for focus, then press fully to shoot. If the bird takes flight, hold the AF-ON button with your thumb to switch to 5-points with AF, then press the shutter button to shoot.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Since I use BBF and have the AF-On button programmed for my AF, I'd have to choose a different button. But since I don't change focus points too often, using the 2-finger method (press one button while scrolling a wheel) will work. But if I find I am changing the number of focus points often enough, I will definitely keep this in mind and pick a different button. Thanks!

choidavid

Anjelica---Choi-David-x-Julia-Crimson---Full-(5).jpg

A shot from my recent beauty shoot

spb_stan

Alexandra4.jpg
My friend Alexandra, an actor who I have shot a number of times recently. I just met her 2 months ago at a premiere of a film she was in. We became good friends immediately and have done a number of projects and social activities, which lead to an ongoing gig for a casting director shooting stills and 3-5 minute actor audition videos
I used to post often but my account disappeared along with my photos

spb_stan

Svettlana2.jpg
A photo of a new friend, an actor on stage and film while I was working for the film company shooting videos and stills for a casting masterclass. Normally she has a big smile on her face so I asked her to be passive faced for this image during a dinner break. I have known for a while but only recently spent a lot of time together and became friends. Next week if there is a clear schedule we will go to the studio for more formal photos, full body and head shots.. She is talk and slim, 5'10" and about 125 lbs, and walks with the grace of an experienced fashion model. She really takes care of her skin, flawless even when dressed very casually

spb_stan

Sveta6.jpg

Thia ia Sveta' friend, also a tall actor, Lena. She is about 1 inch taller than Sveta above. I never met her before, she has very outgoing personality that was joking thewhole dinner and this was the only time she closed her mouth between talking and eating , she had a lot of energy.I am sure I will shoot her in th future.

Needa

Challenge Team
View attachment 361594

Thia ia Sveta' friend, also a tall actor, Lena. She is about 1 inch taller than Sveta above. I never met her before, she has very outgoing personality that was joking thewhole dinner and this was the only time she closed her mouth between talking and eating , she had a lot of energy.I am sure I will shoot her in th future.

Always like seeing your portraits. Noticed this was shot with a D800 give up on Z cameras?

spb_stan

Always like seeing your portraits. Noticed this was shot with a D800 give up on Z cameras?
No, 90% of my shooting is with the Z6 but on this shoot the Z was busy on a tripod doing short video clips by actors in a casting. The Z6 wa flawless again for tracking the key fast in 93 short 2-3 minute actor tests of dialog and presence alone with another actor reading response dialog while the camera is on the one auditioning. Each actor had 3 such clips. Not one of them reviewed dropped focus on the animated actor.. I had two other cameras there and 40 lbs of lenses but used the little 24-70 f/4 for all but the head shots which were done with 85 1.8. The D800 was a backup since I did not want to take the Z6 off the tripod when we went to dinner down the hall. My only downside experienced has been video battery life since the rea display is on continuously. think I have enough confidence in the tracking now to turn off the display. That alone might cause me to add a Z6 2 because it can run on external power while shooting. If I find a weak battery I can take it apart and make an adaptor to run on an external power supply.
Since these are paying gigs and getting very regular they can pay for the Z6 2. My other businesses are essentially in hibernation since the two largest ones are incoming tourism and that is just a trickle.

Dangerspouse

For me, I still prefer the second shot in the original set. More for the composition, rather than the post processing. The pic of the gentleman leaning against the truck is just a snapshot. PP didn't change that in the post above this. However in the closeup of his head there is less distracting background, increased texture, more even lighting, and his pose, all of which combine to raise it from "snapshot" to "photography", imo. There's just a helluva lot more character showing through there - a gritty "warts and all" portrait that has much more appeal.

bluzman

For me, I still prefer the second shot in the original set. More for the composition, rather than the post processing. The pic of the gentleman leaning against the truck is just a snapshot. PP didn't change that in the post above this. However in the closeup of his head there is less distracting background, increased texture, more even lighting, and his pose, all of which combine to raise it from "snapshot" to "photography", imo. There's just a helluva lot more character showing through there - a gritty "warts and all" portrait that has much more appeal.
I agree. Your last sentence sums it up nicely.