Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
[FONT=&quot]Two vertical handheld shots stitched
[/FONT]
dsc_6025_stitch_001.jpg

BF Hammer

From 2008. It was a very large tree as I recall. Picnic Point on University of Wisconsin-Madison campus. I used a stand-alone freeware called Autostitch to assemble 4 images. It is still my go-to tool for stitching photos. Just import the jpg images and let it rip. It's that simple, other than some crop afterward normally.

Picnic Point Tree.jpg

blackstar

From 2008. It was a very large tree as I recall. Picnic Point on University of Wisconsin-Madison campus. I used a stand-alone freeware called Autostitch to assemble 4 images. It is still my go-to tool for stitching photos. Just import the jpg images and let it rip. It's that simple, other than some crop afterward normally.

View attachment 374367

How do you set the output size: width, height, scale? Say your four individual images are 6000x4000 each, will you set output size as: 6000, 15000, 100%? When let it as default (2000, 1000, 100%), I got a wide top, narrow bottom skewed (vertical) pano. The question is: in this case (vertical stitch), how do you determine an accurate height output dimension? It, I think, has to be less than 4 times of original height due to the overlap area. But how less? or just set it x4 width?

BF Hammer

How do you set the output size: width, height, scale? Say your four individual images are 6000x4000 each, will you set output size as: 6000, 15000, 100%? When let it as default (2000, 1000, 100%), I got a wide top, narrow bottom skewed (vertical) pano. The question is: in this case (vertical stitch), how do you determine an accurate height output dimension? It, I think, has to be less than 4 times of original height due to the overlap area. But how less? or just set it x4 width?

I guess I should say the first time you use Autostitch there is a setup menu to visit. Among the options there is a resize image and you can specify an output length/width, just a maximum width, or just a maxiumum height. Autostitch has some AI in it. It does the compensation for barrel and pincushion distortion. It auto aligns the images without you specifying where they go. You do have to take the images in a logical order. You can even do a multi-row array. 25%-50% overlap images will give excellent results. Typically wide lenses put enough distortion into the photos that the output image will have some significant curves and bends around the sides. That is where the cropping comes in to play. Matter of fact in my tree you can see black corners in the upper left and lower right. That is the curved image output and I tried to maximize the image in the crop.

Let me check the software sub-forum if Autostitch has been discussed before. It could be a good new subject for a tutorial.

Last edited:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
16 handheld shots stitched vertically using MS ICE. I couldn't get back far enough to get the right side of the tree.
dsc_0495_stitch16_001.jpg

bluzman

Marilynne, I didn't know that one could do vertical stitching with MS ICE since I never had a reason to try it. Does the program automatically sense the matching image interfaces or do you need to rotate the images 90 degrees before loading them to get the proper result?

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Marilynne, I didn't know that one could do vertical stitching with MS ICE since I never had a reason to try it. Does the program automatically sense the matching image interfaces or do you need to rotate the images 90 degrees before loading them to get the proper result?

It knows somehow. When you Import your photos, make sure you have auto select on Camera Motion. Actually, I use auto select for everything.

Try it, you'll like it.

blackstar

Hope this is allowed that the image is not mine and might not be shot with Nikon. But I just like to share this interesting one there were 27 pandas all jumping up to one single tree after a 5.9 earthquake occurred near Chengdu, Sichuan in China (June 1, 2022).
panda-1.jpg
panda-2.jpg
panda-3.jpg
(Have to cut the whole image into 3 pieces to keep the more realistic size)