Testing AF-C bursting shots z6ii

blackstar

@blackstar I few things I'd suggest...

First is your crop... <--this makes things easier in other areas... your crop is 600X239 pixels... Always, especially for social media posts, try to maintain one of the standardized aspect ratios... The original jpg and 600X239 doesn't leave much room for fixing stuff... So I upscaled the image using a New program I've been testing for Topaz... Photo AI. It's in an early beta at this point, and they are selling it...but I would probably NOT rush out to buy it just yet... If you own their other 3 programs, you get an early access to the new one... It attempts to do what the other 3 programs do in a single program, rather than using 3 different programs... I turned off the sharpening and denoise functions and only Upscaled your image 6X... There was no sharpening or noise reduction... what you see is just simple upscaling from a heavy crop... There was no other editing...

You can try this yourself with Lightroom's "Enhance" feature after you've cropped an image...

This is new to me (always thought upscaling goes de-sharpening) and I don't have Lightroom either. But I'll dig some more into it. Maybe I'll sort out the "enlarge and sharpen" feature in Gimp that I use. Thanks

blackstar

I note you were shooting at 1/1000 sec. For fast moving subjects I usually use a minimum of 1/2000. Might be worth trying faster shutter speeds with higher ISO's.

This is exactly what I figured last night (at sleep): Shutter speed must be the key in this case. The commercial airplane was flying higher and faster than usual bif scene. In the case of bif, 1/1000 shutter speed won't cut it. So your suggestion of 1/2000 make absolute sense. Together with your other tips sure help my next try. Thanks

blackstar

Tried "smart-sharpen" in Gimp: still behind a bit from Fred's Photo AI result. I think refining the smart-sharpen process can close up. (But it is not the purpose of this AF-C test, which stands to achieve in focus, sharp images from live shooting, not from the sharpening process.)

smart-sharpen-2s.jpg