Thinking of purchasing a Z9

kevy73

Morning all... nice to be back in here and saying G'day...

Am considering a Z9... have been used D3, D4 and D5 camera's but loving the look and sharpness of the Z series camera's...
I have a couple of questions -

1) I shoot weddings... I have never ever had to change a battery during the day with my DSLR's... I am worried about battery life. Can anyone shed any insight... a typical wedding is around 8 - 10 hours - I might shoot around 1200 - 1500 images on a single body.

2) I have heard that lower light is still a MASSIVE issue with the Z series camera's. Most receptions by the first dance are pretty dark places... again any insights into low light focus issues (I have heard they hunt like crazy) would be appreciated.

If I do pull the pin on a Z9, I will be getting the FTZ adapter too so my older len's will still work, but I will likely get the Z 70-2002.8 too.

BF Hammer

They made a new larger-capacity battery for the Z9, but I would research some real-world testing on that. Personally I would expect to do a battery swap maybe on arrival at the reception to be safe. The electronic viewfinder displaying real-time video in use is just going to use battery power like no DSLR will.

As for the autofocus in low-light, I'm not sure about that. My 1 experience is shooting a reception with a Z5. Not the official photographer either. I did not notice any particular problem with it, and I was using the starter mirrorless body.

Needa

Challenge Team
2) I have heard that lower light is still a MASSIVE issue with the Z series camera's. Most receptions by the first dance are pretty dark places... again any insights into low light focus issues (I have heard they hunt like crazy) would be appreciated.
Interesting the specs indicate the Z9 should focus better in low light.

How will going from 21MP to 45 affect your work flow?

Fred Kingston_RIP

There are two issues involved. Focusing better is one, but the other indicates that that low-light focusing comes at a cost of an increase in noise... and the question then becomes how much post processing does a wedding photographer want to do...

Danno

There is a larger battery in the Z9. I use a Z8, and it is decent on battery life. It is better than my Z6, and I think it is better because of the same menus and focus systems as the Z9. It is referred to as a mini Z9. I love the Z8. I have to believe the battery life should be good in long days. But the autofocus and white balance are excellent.

I have not had an issue with lowlight performance on my Z8, which is amazing. I take photos at my church, and the lighting is horrible. I set mine up with a mode for Church with Auto ISO at 12k max, and it works so well. I also like the absence of a mechanical shutter. It is quiet and can go to Silent as well. The one other amazing thing is the IBIS.

The Z8 is amazing. The Z9 has a bigger battery. I think it would be something you will like using.

kevy73

It won't make any difference to me I don't believe. I use my Hasselblad regularly at weddings too - so am used to bigger files.

blackstar

Congratulations! Even better that Nikon just announced a new firmware update (4.10) for Z9 (though it's mainly an upgrade of object detection on birds and airplanes... )

Danno

Congratulations! I am anxious to see your photos and thoughts. You will love the 70-200 f2.8. It is a great lens.

WaltE

Congratulations! I just ordered a Z8 this morning. It will be a week before it arrives per B&H holiday. Looking forward to possibly comparing notes.

kevy73

Congratulations! I am anxious to see your photos and thoughts. You will love the 70-200 f2.8. It is a great lens.
I am hoping I love it - I hate my F mount version... Not sure if it is just my version of the lens, but I have never been happy with it and only use it for Wedding Ceremonies as I need the reach...

Huffdog

Morning all... nice to be back in here and saying G'day...

Am considering a Z9... have been used D3, D4 and D5 camera's but loving the look and sharpness of the Z series camera's...
I have a couple of questions -

1) I shoot weddings... I have never ever had to change a battery during the day with my DSLR's... I am worried about battery life. Can anyone shed any insight... a typical wedding is around 8 - 10 hours - I might shoot around 1200 - 1500 images on a single body.

If I do pull the pin on a Z9, I will be getting the FTZ adapter too so my older len's will still work, but I will likely get the Z 70-2002.8 too.
I have Two Z9s and two D6s. Have a complete set of D lenses and Z lenses. I have shot thousands of photos with each camera in one day and never ran out of battery power with either. Who ever told you the Z lenses aren’t sharp probably hasn’t owned or used one. I believe all the Z lenses are actually sharper than my D lenses. Yes, the X9 is terrible at creating noise in low light at higher ISOs.

Danno

I am hoping I love it - I hate my F mount version... Not sure if it is just my version of the lens, but I have never been happy with it and only use it for Wedding Ceremonies as I need the reach...
I think you will be pleased. All of the Z glass has been impressive to me. I am kind of anxious to see how the 200 f2 does on the Z9. That lens in your hands have always been amazing to me.