Z6ii flash options?

Camera Fun

Looking for ideas on a flash for my Z6ii. What are your thoughts on a Godox TT350 or the Nikon SB-500? I'm not going to be doing video so I wouldn't need the Nikon's video light option. The Godox is more affordable, but would the Nikon be better? I never had an extra flash for my D7000; always just used the pop-up with a diffuser to add softer light, fill some shadows, etc. Thanks.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Looking for ideas on a flash for my Z6ii. What are your thoughts on a Godox TT350 or the Nikon SB-500? I'm not going to be doing video so I wouldn't need the Nikon's video light option. The Godox is more affordable, but would the Nikon be better? I never had an extra flash for my D7000; always just used the pop-up with a diffuser to add softer light, fill some shadows, etc. Thanks.

Although I still have my Nikon SB-700 flash (and still use it), I switched to purchasing Godox flashes and strobes. If I'm going out to a venue, my Nikon flash is still my #1 choice. When using TTL, it tends to be a little more accurate than Godox although manual flash is equal. But the advantage with Godox is they have built-in receivers thereby allowing multiple flashes/strobes to be used at once.

When my Nikon SB-910 stopped working, it cost $225 to fix. Nikon chose to also replace the flash tube despite that not having any issues. So the cost was higher than it really should have been. After the repair, I used it twice for a total of about 110 images only to have it break again. So here it sits because I don't want to spend the money to repair it again. For $225, I could have purchased two Godox TT685N (which were $110 each at the time). They have the same power output and also take AA batteries which is my preference for flash units. And since they cost less to begin with, they are more disposable than a flash that cost me $550 like my Nikon SB-910 did when it was new.

So I have a couple Godox flashes now which seamlessly integrate with my AD200 Pro and AD400 Pro units. To use my Nikon with my Godox stuff, I need a receiver (which I also have).

So think ahead. Do you anticipate ever growing by adding additional flashes? Have you ever considered using strobes for more light output? Strobes work much better outdoors in sunshine than flash units simply because of their output. One AD200 strobe is equivalent to about 3 of the Godox TT685N flashes.

The Godox flash you are considering is also quite good - just not as powerful with its output. But if you are shooting indoors, you wouldn't need additional power anyway. But please consider if you ever anticipate adding additional flash units. If so, then Godox would be the less expensive option and allow you to add more lights.

Last edited:

Danno

I use Flash Point and Godox. They are the same. Flash Point is the brand named by Adorama. That is what I buy when I need a light and they have a sale and that is what most of my lights are. I have bought Godox a couple times locally. They are good inexpensive lights that have a good mount and work well with Nikon Z. I have a few to do off camera flash. They have a good system for that as well.

There is also a guy, Rob Hall, on YouTube that is an expert on Godox/Flash Point. His link is https://www.youtube.com/c/robhallphoto . The page is now called Sharpen. His page is helpful.

I wish you good hunting. Godox/Flash Point are good flashes.

TwistedThrottle

[MENTION=13006]Camera Fun[/MENTION]
AA batteries are easier to come by if your speedlight dies and you dont have a spare with you.

The first hurdle you're going to have to jump is going from pop up flash to dedicated speedlight. If you think you might use a flash, you'll have to bring one with you. every. where. you. go. No biggie once you get used to it, but a major PITA getting used to it. The next hurdle is deciding on which brand to use. I dont suggest frankensteining a bunch of brands together, each brand has a different white and that can show up in your photos with the exception of Godox/Flashpoint. Godox can be bought from Amazon or B&H, Flashpoint is only offered through Adorama but everything is compatible/interchangeable; they're identical, only the name is different.

I like the Godox/Flashpoint system, it is easy enough to start where you want and expand as you need. I have and recommend the Godox/Flashpoint V1 round head as a starting point. It also doubles as a transmitter so if you expand with some strobes at some point, (like I did with a couple of AD200's) you're covered. I like the round head because of the modifiers that are available for it plus I ended up getting the round heads for the AD200's too. I also have the MF12, (highly recommended if you're into macro work) that I mostly use with the R2 Pro transmitter, (instead of the speedlight as the transmitter) and everything works seamlessly together all at once or individually as needed.

Paliswe

?

They're not one or the other. You can get rechargeable AA Li-ion batteries. I use them myself.

I can recommend IKEA LADDA rechargeable AA batteries, They are the cheapest and also the best. I have tried many AA rechargeable and there are big differences between brands, as also can be seen on tests and reviews on Youtube.

Dangerspouse

I can recommend IKEA LADDA rechargeable AA batteries, They are the cheapest and also the best. I have tried many AA rechargeable and there are big differences between brands, as also can be seen on tests and reviews on Youtube.

Thank you for the recommendation. I currently use Panasonic ENELOOP batteries, but if I ever need more I will check out the IKEA brand.

Paliswe

Thank you for the recommendation. I currently use Panasonic ENELOOP batteries, but if I ever need more I will check out the IKEA brand.

IKEA LADDA is Panasonic ENELOOP, but rebranded and sold much cheaper! In tests shown on Youtube, the two brand had exactly the same performance. IKEA LADDA are made in Japan, and there is only one factory i Japan making these batteries, Panasonic's.

BF Hammer

I have been using the same SB-400 since 2007, with a SB-600 purchased a couple of years later. I like having the compact option of the SB-400 even more since getting my Z5 as there is no pop-up option on any Z bodies other than the Z50. The SB-400 also fits in pants pockets fairly well too. But of course the SB-600 is preferred for when the extra features are needed.

Nikon announced last year that they are giving development support with Nissin and Profoto. All outside indications are that Nikon is not interested in developing new speedlights, so this new support for 3rd party is a way to ensure options will be available to customers. Last new Nikon speedlight is from 2015. So I would look to those brands as the preferred 3rd party option today.

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/11/12/...will-no-longer-develop-lighting-product.aspx/

BF Hammer

I just had a chance to compare the specs on the 2 lights mentioned. They are really in 2 different classes, with the Godox having all the better specs. Godox can zoom the beam, Nikon SB-500 is a fixed beam. The most telling is that the Godox has more power, guide number 36 versus guide number 24 on the Nikon. That is even a bigger thing when you want to bounce the flash. I personally bounce flash whenever it is a good option.

I have no frame of reference to compare quality of the 2 flashes.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Why do you prefer AA batteries as opposed to using a rechargeable ion battery? Thanks

Godox has issues with some of their rechargeable batteries. If they completely deplete, they have to be revived (meaning open the case and work on the internals of the battery to jump start it). And sometimes they cannot be revived. With the cost of just one rechargeable Godox battery, for me it wasn't worth it. Hence my preference for AA. And as @TwistedThrottle mentioned, if in a pinch, AA batteries are pretty easy to come by.

I also own Eneloop rechargeable batteries - the ones that aren't high capacity. Rechargeable AA batteries are far more cost-effective in my opinion than one $40+ Godox battery to have as a backup.

I follow Wes Perry on YouTube (electrical engineer). He recommends Eneloop. Some of my batteries are the Sanyo Eneloop ones - the original brand before Panasonic took them over. They still work fine. In fact, a week ago I went through and charged all of my Eneloop batteries - AA and AAA. I even use them in things like clocks and flashlights.

BUT ... for anyone who has a Godox trigger, do NOT use rechargeable AAA batteries. It has something to do with the voltage of rechargeable AAA batteries not being the same as Alkaline AAA batteries. Too many misfires/failures to fire because their voltage is a little less than alkaline.