Astrophotography

patrick in memphis

Hi dave,astrophotography is not by any means an easy hobby.I run a celestron cg5asgt equitorial mount w a 8" meade lx200(200mm) sct,w a celestron st-80(80mm) as a guide scope.when u start talking astrophotography it is really a complicated ordeal. I.e. figuring out max ss to avoid blur/star trails vs aperture used.then stacking sometimes thousands of pics and layer processing. There is a huge learning curve involved w little help available.once u master stacking and processing beautiful subjects can be had.keep in mind local weather and temps along w light pollution are all considerations when it comes down to quality and ease of taking pics.most of us have to drive out into the country and spend countless hours under the stars.temperature and moisture easily dew up lenses and winter,well is winter. You can spend a fortune on gear only to be stopped by cloud cover.I will help if I can but just be forewarned there is always something more to buy.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Don't know where else to post this.

GEOMAGNETIC STORM WATCH:
Photographers, warm up your cameras. A CME is heading for Earth, and it could spark an unusually good display of Northern Lights when it arrives on Feb. 17-18. NOAA forecasters say that moderate G2-class geomagnetic storms are possible. During such storms, auroras have been seen in the USA as far south as, e.g., New York and Idaho. Full story @ Spaceweather.com