EXIF Info

Fred Kingston_RIP

There seems to be several instances of EXIF Viewer info in different threads, so I thought I'd start one for this singular subject.

Obviously, EXIF info for photos isn't supported in the new forum software, which is problematic for a Photography community...

The logical solution is adding an extension to your browser that provides this info... I've tested two...and find one is better than the other for the way I view the forum... It's called "Exify" as opposed to the Chrome extension "Exif Viewer"...

With "Exif Viewer" you need to right-click on the image, and it opens a new tab in your browser... Do that a few times, and all that extra clicking gets to be an issue...

"Exify" requires no clicking or extra open tabs... Hover your cursor over the image, and It simply displays the pertinent EXIF data along the bottom edge of the photo... if you click on the Exify icon, it lets you configure some of the EXIF data that's displayed... Much cleaner, quicker Exif display...

Try it, and let me know...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I just installed it and hovered. It looks great so thank you for sharing the info. When I did a search for Chrome EXIF extensions, the other one was the only one to show up.

This one doesn't list the date so our Challenge Team will get the final say in whether all the info or just the date needs to be added. If the extension isn't available for all browsers, then the info might need to be typed into challenges.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
And I just confirmed EXIFY also works on Firefox. Definitely a plus to not have to click, but one big advantage is not having to read through a monument of EXIF data just to find the most pertinent info. Thanks again, @Fred Kingston!

Fred Kingston_RIP

Cindy... When you hover and it displays the info, click on the EXIFY icon to the right, and it should open a "configuration" window... In that window, there's a setting to Display the Date"... Check that box...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Cindy... When you hover and it displays the info, click on the EXIFY icon to the right, and it should open a "configuration" window... In that window, there's a setting to Display the Date"... Check that box...
And that it does! Thank you so much, @Fred Kingston!

@Needa @Marilynne @cwgrizz you should see if EXIFY works with the browser of your choice. If it does, be sure to enable the date.

Fred Kingston_RIP

Just some additional data... You'll notice that whenever you hover over an image, the little EXIFY icon spins, but no data is displayed... That's because one, or both conditions below exist.

1. Some web sites, to conserve disk storage (because some vendors charge by the amount of data downloaded) strip the EXIF data from image files... Facebook is famous for this... That's problematic for photographers because it also strips their copyright data... 😩 And, in today's world, some folks take that to mean they can freely use your work... Always be aware of this and watermark before posting to those systems...

2. The second condition is various post-processing applications/processes correctly strip the EXIF data...An example is Stacking/and HDR type editors correctly don't include the EXIF data because the image is comprised of multiple images with different settings... There are editors, such as Lightroom that allow you to "add/edit" the EXIF data before exporting to a final image... If you do this type work, and if it's important to you, be sure to include that EXIF editing process to your normal post-processing work-flow...

mikeee

Looks like a great addon, Fred!
Looks like I should try to upload jpg too rather than png. The tool does not work on the png (I have a command line tool on my linux desktop that does), but hovering over the image sure is handy!

nikonbill

Contributor
"Exify" requires no clicking or extra open tabs... Hover your cursor over the image, and It simply displays the pertinent EXIF data along the bottom edge of the photo... if you click on the Exify icon, it lets you configure some of the EXIF data that's displayed... Much cleaner, quicker Exif display...
Thanks for this Fred, much faster and cleaner than Exif Viewer. I view the site with Edge on my desktop and it installed fine and works fine.
If it does, be sure to enable the date.
It seems if the photo is "narrow" (display size) the date may not show when hovering, but it's there if you click on the "icon" when checked as Fred indicated.

Edit: If you select "compact" it helps smaller displayed images

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
There seems to be several instances of EXIF Viewer info in different threads, so I thought I'd start one for this singular subject.

Obviously, EXIF info for photos isn't supported in the new forum software, which is problematic for a Photography community...

The logical solution is adding an extension to your browser that provides this info... I've tested two...and find one is better than the other for the way I view the forum... It's called "Exify" as opposed to the Chrome extension "Exif Viewer"...

With "Exif Viewer" you need to right-click on the image, and it opens a new tab in your browser... Do that a few times, and all that extra clicking gets to be an issue...

Try it, and let me know...
Great recommendation!

bluzman

Installed it as an Extension to Firefox. Initially, it didn't work. I had to "Allow Run in Private Windows" before it functioned.