EXIF Info

Dawg Pics

@Marilynne @hark I can post a new thread with this information if it helps people out. I just verified that EXIFY works for Safari on iPad.

@Patrick M
I downloaded Firefox to figure out how to make it work and accidentally discovered a way to obtain image information. Then tried it on Safari, and it worked. I didn't need to change anything from the defaults, but if you open the EXIFY app and click on the green eye icon, it will give you some options.

On Safari:
Go to an image in a thread and click on it to open it.
Then in the upper right, click on the box with arrow icon.
IMG_0820.jpeg

Then click on the 'share' icon.
IMG_0821.jpeg

This opens up a menu. Scroll all the way down to "Show Image Inormation."
IMG_0822.jpeg

Then you get this. Image Overview.
IMG_0823.jpeg

Swipe the screen to page over to get more information. Histogram, and metadata, etc.
IMG_0824.jpeg

On FireFox:

Open image and click on the square with the arrow. ( I don't know what that is called.) This enlarges the image.
Or you can skip this and click the 3 horizontal lines menu on the right of the url field.
IMG_0825.jpeg

Click on the 3 horizontal lines menu.
IMG_0827.jpeg

IMG_0832.jpeg

Show Image Information
IMG_0831.jpeg

Last edited:

blackstar

@Marilynne @hark I can post a new thread with this information if it helps people out. I just need to verify if it will work without the EXIFY download.

@Patrick M
I discovered something while trying to figure out how to read the EXIF from my iPad. I forgot about the other thread where you said EXIFY didn't work for iPad. I stupidly just purchased it to discover it didn't work. I downloaded Firefox to figure out how to make it work and accidentally discovered a way to obtain image information using Safari. I accidentally figured this out on Firefox then tried it on Safari.

Will you try it out to see if you can duplicate it? Or anybody with an iPad see if they can do this without the EXIFY download?

Go to an image in a thread and click on it to open it.
Then in the upper right, click on the box with arrow icon.
View attachment 405066

Then click on the 'share' icon.
View attachment 405067

This opens up a menu. Scroll all the way down to "Show Image Inormation."
View attachment 405069

Then you get this. Image Overview.
View attachment 405070

Swipe the screen to page over to get more information. Histogram, and metadata, etc.
View attachment 405071
But this doesn't work in Firefox, does it?

blackstar

I mainly view web images on FF on my Mac desktop. I used to use the "Exif viewer" add-on and found it a bit clumsy... Now instead of installing "EXIFY" (same 3* review rate as Exif Viewer), I installed the powerful and snappy "xIFr". By using xIFr, many photo images on the web can depict their locations by Map. However, I found almost all the photos on our forum or other similar photography-related forums just don't show location data... ???

Dawg Pics

I mainly view web images on FF on my Mac desktop. I used to use the "Exif viewer" add-on and found it a bit clumsy... Now instead of installing "EXIFY" (same 3* review rate as Exif Viewer), I installed the powerful and snappy "xIFr". By using xIFr, many photo images on the web can depict their locations by Map. However, I found almost all the photos on our forum or other similar photography-related forums just don't show location data... ???
I don't think they will unless they have been geotagged. I never do that, but maybe I should since I can never remember where I shot an image.
I do most of my browsing from my iPad, so I was pretty happy when I figured out that app. I don't check the metadata often, but it is nice to be able to when I want. I'll keep xlFr in mind if I want to install a reader on my Mac Mini.

BF Hammer

I intentionally turn off geotagging on my phone's camera, and I won't be buying a gps module for any of my Nikon gear. Not only people tracking you, but the Great Googlely-Mooglely is tracking that also.

blackstar

Is there some geo data setting in Nikon cameras that requires "turn on" to be recorded in image data? It seems the answer is NO.

Dawg Pics

I intentionally turn off geotagging on my phone's camera, and I won't be buying a gps module for any of my Nikon gear. Not only people tracking you, but the Great Googlely-Mooglely is tracking that also.
This is true. Maybe I should just jot down where I am.