Focus Point Illumination

edd6383

I presently shoot with both a Nikon D5 and Nikon D500. On both cameras I have turned on Focus Point Illumination. Using Back Button Focus the D5 Focus points will stay illuminated the entire time I am tracking a subject (its set for Single point and dynamic area). I like the feature especially when doing BIF photography. My D 500 is different and I am not sure why. The Focus Point will illuminate for a fraction of a second and then disappear. This happens using either BBF or Shutter release. I have cleaned all the contacts with Deoxit have also "rocket blown" the AF sensors with Mirror up, I usually have my Nikkor 500mm, f 5.6, pf attached. I have even changed lenses using both my Nikon 200-500 and my Nikkor 600mm f 4, it did not make a difference. Has anyone experienced this issue with a Nikon D500, if so have you been able to fix the issue. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dawg Pics

That is how my D500 acts. The focus point illuminates red for a second and then turns black. Why they changed it is another Nikon mystery.
I don't remember if my D300 stayed lit or not.
As far as I know, there are no options to make it stay illuminated.

Last edited:

edd6383

That is how my D500 acts. The focus point illuminates red for a second and then turns black. Why they changed it is another Nikon mystery.
I don't remember if my D300 stayed lit or not.
As far as I know, there are no options to make it stay illuminated.
My D3 worked in Single point but not in Dynamic area. I bought the D3 used and just thought it was a software problem. I need to update the firmware on the D500 to the latest version, maybe they changed how the illumination works on an update. The illumination is really a worthless feature if it only works until focus is achieved. Thanks for your response, very helpful.

edd6383

My D3 worked in Single point but not in Dynamic area. I bought the D3 used and just thought it was a software problem. I need to update the firmware on the D500 to the latest version, maybe they changed how the illumination works on an update. The illumination is really a worthless feature if it only works until focus is achieved. Thanks for your response, very helpful.

Dawg Pics

Interesting that if I move the focus points manually around, they stay lit until I stop. 🤷‍♀️