focus point stuck

hrh

I am unable to move the focus point with either the toggle or the selector. The D500 is new to me and without a manual.When I bought the camera I was able to move the focus point around but since I started fiddling with things I have lost that ability. I am looking to for a D500 manual but in the meantime is there someone who can assist.

Bikerbrent

You should be able to get the manual loaded in you computer at

"https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/323/D500.html"

From hear you can either just read it or print it.

BF Hammer

For sure download that pdf D500 manual Brent is pointing you to. Keep a copy on your phone also to reference away from home.

Basically the autofocus modes are changed by holding the button down for selecting focus mode and either rotate the front or rear shutter dials to move through the modes. On my D750 the focus mode selector is on the side of the lens mount. AF-S is the mode where you manually choose your focus point.

wev

Contributor
I am unable to move the focus point with either the toggle or the selector. The D500 is new to me and without a manual.When I bought the camera I was able to move the focus point around but since I started fiddling with things I have lost that ability. I am looking to for a D500 manual but in the meantime is there someone who can assist.

You may have switched the tab to L on the back dial, which locks the focal point. I do it all the time by accident. Flip it to the dot and you are good to go.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
You may have switched the tab to L on the back dial, which locks the focal point. I do it all the time by accident. Flip it to the dot and you are good to go.

Wev beat me to it. Please let us know when it's fixed and what you did.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
In case you are still stuck (pun intended), here's a pic of the button/switch wev is referencing.

Do you see the switch for the Focus Selector Lock? If it's pointing to the 'L', then your focus point is locked. Toggle the switch to unlock it.

multi selector.jpg

Pic comes from this link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dojoklo/26832357493

hrh

That was exactly the problem. Such a simple thing and to think I was going to do a reset and still have the problem. Thank you wev.:)

Woodyg3

Contributor
That was exactly the problem. Such a simple thing and to think I was going to do a reset and still have the problem. Thank you wev.:)

That happens to EVERYONE once in a while, and the first time it happens it is a puzzle to most. Glad you are back in business :)

Bikerbrent

Glad you got everything running with your focal point. I still hope you get a copy of the D500 manual, or even purchase a good replacement manual for your camera.

hrh

That happens to EVERYONE once in a while, and the first time it happens it is a puzzle to most. Glad you are back in business :)
I have a D7200 and I just checked and the same thing happens there as well. I have owned the 7200 for 4 years and that has never happened.The layout of the 500 is slightly different so I will be aware, just like the new car I bought once and every time I turned a corner the wipers came on.