I feel stupid..

Dawg Pics

Sleep mode probably wasn't the correct jargon for what I am referring to. Sorry, I am tired.
You can tell the monitor how long to stay on after shooting a pic or you can turn off image view so the image won't show-up after shooting. Either can only be changed in the menu options.

The only other thing I can think to try is using the power cord instead of the battery if you have it. Again, that is just a Hail Mary pass in hopes something weird is happening. I am no electronics expert.

ryanwphoto

No problem! I appreciate the help! I don't have a cord with it to power it without the battery unfortunately....

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Dawg Pics

Reading up some on the D700, you can light the monitor turning the power switch to the light bulb while holding down the "info" button, if the previous owner chose that option in the menu. It is worth a shot to see if it turns on. I doubt it will work but what the heck?

I am out of long-shot suggestions. Next is calling Nikon Customer Service. Good luck.

Last edited:

ryanwphoto

Reading up some on the D700, you can light the monitor turning the power switch to the light bulb if the previous owner chose that option in the menu. It is worth a shot to see if it comes on. I am guessing you already turned the switch in that direction, though. The monitor should turn on when play is or menu button is pushed but isn't so this is a long shot anyway.

I am out of long-shot suggestions. Next is calling Nikon Customer Service. Good luck.
Thank you for your long shots! 😀 I did try that as all my nikon DSLRs have been setup that way unfortunately there was nothing again.
I did some shopping and I found a D700 replacement screen for $25 shipped to my door.. I wonder how easy they are to be replaced. I've never had to deal with a broken nikon before so could be looking in the wrong direction.

Dawg Pics

Playing with switches and tightening screws on lenses is about all I am brave enough to do with a camera.

Maybe D200freak can think of something. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

skene

Yes there was an issue with the screens going out on the D700 if they are lightly jolted. Yours may be part of that problem. It is not a cheap fix as the company I worked for just sent out a D700 to get the screen replaced with Nikon and the price for the repair was like $360 usd.
So go and figure what it would cost in can. Try and see if there are any local repair shops that can do it for you and shop that price. GL

DraganDL

At least one thing can be ruled out: a card. If it is capable (like it actually is) to record the photo, than it works. So, this got nothing to do with the card. It's either a display itself or some electronic or/and mechanical component that "sits" between the display and the rest of the camera's circuitry. If the display itself is dead, it would be the best scenario, since, like you said you purchased the replacement already (25$ is really a bargain). In this case, the repair should not cost you more than, say, 100 bucks (in addition to those 25 that you paid for the display).

SteveH

Maybe try flashing to the latest firmware? Not sure if that's even possible with no LCD, but it could help if the previous owner didn't keep it updated or overwriting what's already on it...

ryanwphoto

Maybe try flashing to the latest firmware? Not sure if that's even possible with no LCD, but it could help if the previous owner didn't keep it updated or overwriting what's already on it...
Yes, I'm going to see if I can.

ryanwphoto

I just downloaded a repair manual for the D700 and it looks like it would be a pretty easy fix if it's just the screen. Has anyone attempted this before? There is also a video on YouTube of how to replace the lcd....
74f2e1c09d2da711ce6408884298150c.jpg

Dawg Pics

You are braver than me, but the camera isn't much good without the screen so why not?
Since you are brave enough to open it up, maybe check the connections to the monitor?

ryanwphoto

You are braver than me, but the camera isn't much good without the screen so why not?
Since you are brave enough to open it up, maybe check the connections to the monitor?
I might just do that. I should have checked that before I ordered it I guess.
I'm gonna get my gloves and screw driver and see what happens.

FYI I connected the camera to my digicam control software on my pc and everything appears to be fine. I was able to tweak some basic settings from there and the pictures look way better than they did when I took them on the card.

ryanwphoto

Hey guys. So I finally received that other lcd screen, but it didn't fix it. Does anyone have any idea on how much it might cost if I send it to Nikon? I have a guy who is willing to give me $350 for it but I'm wondering if it would worth to wait and get it fixed rather then lose $150?
I used it a while back as a second camera to shoot a bull riding event and it works flawlessly it's just the rear screen...