New Camera For Retirement - Narrowed to 5 - Seeking Advice!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
but you'll have to get new cards and card reader....

After a lot of online searching, this is the card reader I purchased in case anyone is looking for a decent, not overly priced XQD card reader.

Sony QDA-SB1 Xqd USB Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV2V77K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 6 Best XQD Card Readers lists it as number one: https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-xqd-card-readers

It might be discontinued or isn't carried by many stores, but Amazon currently still has it in stock in the $32-$33 range.

pnomanikon

Per Marilynne, RENT. D500 @ Borrowlenses is $96.00 per week. They are also running a discount of 15%.
Much cheaper than buying the wrong camera.

Renting would be a good idea, except that even though I am "retired", I'm still sort of on call to help an older lady in our town and another older lady (widow and mom of a lifelong friend of mine who passed away this summer at only 59) an hour away in my old hometown. Sometimes, I spend the entire day taking them to appointments, grocery shopping, or helping clean out my friend's house on short/no notice. My luck, the package would arrive just as I have a few busy days and I don't get to really try it out.

Shopping for a car was very easy since I worked as the webmaster and photographer at a family chain of dealers. I regularly drove just about every new Kia, Hyundai, Ford, and VW, along with hundreds of used cars from every manufacturer. Wish I had worked in a camera shop too. LOL

pnomanikon

Why not get another D7200. I'm really happy with mine. If you want to do fast moving objects like planes and birds in flight, then the D500 would be your best bet, but you'll have to get new cards and card reader (this is what is keeping me away from it).

But if I was to start from scratch today, I'd get a Fuji X-t3 or 4. I use them often and really like the weight, colour rendering and lenses.

But the D7200 is also a great choice and you wouldn't have to change lenses and card reader... It's never easy to decide.

Yes, the Fuji does look nice and I might if I was starting all over. More and more, I'm kicking myself for selling the D7200. It was much more capable than I am. I'm still leaning towards the D500 after reading so many rave reviews. It's at the very top of my budget, but my son is a rich aerospace engineer so I can spend part of his inheritance, eh? LOL

After a lot of online searching, this is the card reader I purchased in case anyone is looking for a decent, not overly priced XQD card reader.

Sony QDA-SB1 Xqd USB Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV2V77K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 6 Best XQD Card Readers lists it as number one: https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-xqd-card-readers

It might be discontinued or isn't carried by many stores, but Amazon currently still has it in stock in the $32-$33 range.

If I do go with the D500, I'm thinking just using the SD slot for a year or so until the price of the XQD cards comes down to a more reasonable level. The reader might be handy.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If I do go with the D500, I'm thinking just using the SD slot for a year or so until the price of the XQD cards comes down to a more reasonable level. The reader might be handy.

Sounds like a plan. I really like my D500. It doesn't have the mode button on the top left (to switch between Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, or Manual Mode). All of that is handled with the wheels (command or sub command dials - can't remember which one). I haven't switched from using Manual Mode and Auto ISO (and back button focus) so it isn't an issue. But I definitely prefer the D500 over the D7200 although the D7200 is an excellent body. Sounds like you are narrowing down your choices! :encouragement:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes, the Fuji does look nice and I might if I was starting all over. More and more, I'm kicking myself for selling the D7200. It was much more capable than I am. I'm still leaning towards the D500 after reading so many rave reviews. It's at the very top of my budget, but my son is a rich aerospace engineer so I can spend part of his inheritance, eh? LOL

I have two D500's (one needs to be repaired) for a couple of years now and I don't have an XQD card. My camera shop didn't have any in stock when I purchased the first one and I never inquired again.

BackdoorArts

Why don't you rent the Z50 and/or the D500. Check them out before you make your final decision.

Nikon was running 30 day trials with the z50 a while back. A friend just picked up a z6ii and got a 30 day money back guarantee on it as a part of their "Yellow" program. The Nikon website is showing only the z5 on that page now, but you might want to reach out to them or a dealer and see if you can get the z50 with the 30 day trial. If so then I'd grab that and see if it works for you. Cheaper than renting if you don't like it.

Danno

@Danno - Thank you, also! I appreciate the info on the Z line. I did read one review where the writer said he got around 800 shots on one battery, but he thought it may have been because he did a lot of bursts. Maybe the overall battery performance is better than advertised.

As I was doing more searching, I saw where the adapter was only $100 if bought with a new camera. I went back later and could not remember what site I saw that on. That wouldn't be too bad if my current lenses worked OK.

Have you done birds in flight with the Z? We get hummingbirds in our garden, and I struggled to get just a few decent photos this summer with the D3100.

Thanks again.

I do not do birds in flight, but that is not the cameras fault, I struggle with the pace of capturing the bird. It is a physical limitation. I have used it for kids sports and my Z6 is much better than my D3200 and my D7200.

Birds in flight is one place where the Z are not as strong. Nothing really compares to the D500 in that arena. The Z6II is believed to be better at that than the Z5, but that is a price jump and most of the info i anecdotal; just not enough bodies out there to test.

There are some photos under the Z6 thread you could look at and if @wev has purchased a Z he could tell you about humming birds.

pnomanikon

Well, I think I have come to a decision - the Nikon D7500.

In retrospect, I should have held on to my D7200. Another hasty decision that I've come to regret.

Having owned a D7200, I'm somewhat familiar with the basic layout. The sensor is upgraded to Expeed 5 (from the D7200's Expeed 4), but it is down to 1 SD card slot. I can live with that. All of my current lenses work, and I can swap with my son when I visit with him. (He has D5500)

I like the D5600, but worry about weather sealing since I'm outside a lot. My son says the viewfinder is not really bright, and my vision is already going downhill.

I really like the reviews of the D500, but it is $500 more expensive and is 5 years old. You could also say it's a proven design. I don't like the XQD slot - more $$ for cards. I would miss the built in flash. More weight with flash.

I also really like the Canon 90D, but that would require me selling all of my Nikon gear (including my spare D3100) to afford the body and 2 zoom lenses. And I would have no spare body.

With the D7500, I can still use my wife's D3100 for casual shooting.

Any one of these cameras is much more capable than I am, so there is not a "loser" in the group.

Now to wait for a holiday sale on the D7500.

Needa

Challenge Team
Seems like a perfectly reasonable choice. Did you consider the z50? If so what were your thoughts on it?

Bikerbrent

Seems like a perfectly reasonable choice. Did you consider the z50? If so what were your thoughts on it?

I agree with Needa. The z50 would be my first choice since it could use your existing lenses and help with the weight issue. A refurb D7200 would be my second choice, followed by the D7500.

pnomanikon

I agree with Needa. The z50 would be my first choice since it could use your existing lenses and help with the weight issue. A refurb D7200 would be my second choice, followed by the D7500.

I just looked on Adorama an hour ago and the D7500 is on sale for $896, so I ordered it.

Yes, I looked hard at the Z50 and it has a lot of nice qualities, especially lighter weight and great specs. I think I would have been happy with the Z50. However, in the end, I was familiar with the D7200 so the learning curve for the D7500 shouldn't be as steep. I also know the D7500 is built like a tank. Maybe when the D3100 poops out in a few years, I will shop for the Z50 equivalent at the time. By then, the mirrorless cameras will have been on the market long enough that any "bugs" will be worked out and maybe the price will come down.

Thank you all for your input to help my decision.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I just looked on Adorama an hour ago and the D7500 is on sale for $896, so I ordered it.

Kudos and good luck. As a precaution, be sure to check your shutter count after you receive it. I've heard of a few people who received camera bodies from Adorama listed as new but which had some shutter actuations. Yours might very well be fine - but at least check to be sure.

pnomanikon

Kudos and good luck. As a precaution, be sure to check your shutter count after you receive it. I've heard of a few people who received camera bodies from Adorama listed as new but which had some shutter actuations. Yours might very well be fine - but at least check to be sure.

Thanks. I've had good luck with them in the past but it is still good to "trust but verify." I will do a check right away when I get it. Good to have the security of paying with a credit card, too. I did make sure (via their online chat) that it is USA and not grey market.

BackdoorArts

I wish you nothing but happiness with your purchase.

But for $200 more I would have been all over the Z50 package with the pair of lenses and would have tossed in another $50 for the adapter (body alone with the adapter would have been the same). Mirrorless is the future.

bluzman

Congrats on your choice. I have no doubt that you'll be pleased with the D7500. Looking forward to seeing some shots.

pnomanikon

I wish you nothing but happiness with your purchase.

But for $200 more I would have been all over the Z50 package with the pair of lenses and would have tossed in another $50 for the adapter (body alone with the adapter would have been the same). Mirrorless is the future.

Yes, mirrorless probably is the future, but I'm old-fashioned when it comes to technology and other things. When we were shopping for a new car last year, I got the base model without all the safety nannies (lane assist, auto braking, etc). As a professional (retired now) musician, I favor the classical (lumping together baroque, classical, romantic, impressionistic, nationalistic, etc) but not 12-tone avante-garde music. I love my old Windows 7 computer even though my son is screaming at me to upgrade to Windows 10. My wife calls me a "fuddy duddy". LOL

Since I'm already a little familiar with the D7200, I thought that would give me a head start.

Congrats on your choice. I have no doubt that you'll be pleased with the D7500. Looking forward to seeing some shots.

Thanks!

Last edited:

pnomanikon

My new D7500 arrived safely today in the mail. Everything checked out. Took 2 pictures and checked shutter count, and it was 02 (thanks, @hark ). US model and warranty card. I think I'm good to go.

I downloaded the PDF Owner's Manual last week, so I've been reading up on it. Lots of similarities with my old D7200, so that makes it a little easier. It also doesn't seem as heavy as I remember. Maybe I've gotten stronger in the past year. Haha!

Now watch next week they will go on Cyber Monday Sale for $200 off. Ugh! Oh well, $100 off was good.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR YOUR ADVICE AND INPUT!!

001.jpg

Last edited: