Staff member
Super Mod
From our bird bath, D500, 200-500 + 1.4 TCIII

D5C_3953.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Boy! Have I noticed that the D500 is great for wild life, astronomy, and sports. However, I also notice very little D500 Portrait, people, or landscape photos. Why is this apparently the case?

Since I have both FX and DX bodies, I prefer to use my DX with telephoto lenses and FX for landscape and portrait. The problem with using DX for portraits is the crop factor. Typically the range between 85mm and 125mm is used for head & shoulder portraits. But because of the crop factor, using a lens in that range on DX means having to back up a lot further. And that can cause problems when shooting in a room that isn't too long. So the consensus is to use a 50mm lens on a DX body since it gives a field of view of 75mm. Unfortunately, the perspective distortion isn't changed when using a 50mm on a DX body vs. FX.

What I mean by that is this ... the range from 85mm to 125mm compresses facial features to a pleasing look. The nose doesn't look quite as long as it would when shooting the same portrait on a DX body with a 50mm lens. Even the shape of a face changes depending on the focal length used. If there is a lot of room to back up, then DX can be great for head & shoulder portraits if able to use an 85mm lens or longer.

Landscape won't be as noticeable for differences especially when shooting stopped down although the same differences in perspective distortion will apply.

Last edited:

Bikerbrent

According to Microsoft:

Please note that the Image Composite Editor (ICE) download is no longer available. This project has been retired.

Bummer! It really looks like it did a great job.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
According to Microsoft:

Please note that the Image Composite Editor (ICE) download is no longer available. This project has been retired.

Bummer! It really looks like it did a great job.

Here's a link to the free download (May 11 2022)
https://microsoft-ice.software.informer.com/

Edit: *** Since it's not from Microsoft check it out before downloading ***
Check the source...

Last edited: