Post your Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G photos!

ktan7

Re: New Nikon 18-35g Thread

I really like these photos that you have taken with your new lense :)

Now that I've had this lens a few weeks, I thought I'd start a lens specific thread for those interested in this lens. There is not much in the way of technical reviews on this lens yet, but I'm certain it will be well recieved. The build quality is good for it's price point, very similar to the new 24-85. The zoom and focus rings are snug and smooth. It's very compact and light for an Ultra-wide, won't mind walking around much with this lens. My main concern with this lens was extreme corner and edge sharpness, starting out at 18mm it is important that those edges are "useable". I'm pleased to report it is very good in the corners and extreme edges. There is some softness at the extremes as expected, but nothing that needs to be cropped off. Center and mid frame sharpness is excellent. Distortion is very well controlled for the focal range and easily corrected. Color rendition and contrast is excellent also.

The shots below are uncropped (except to level the horizon where needed) and no distortion correction was applied. Please note that the ground was very uneven, so some of what you are seeing is not distortion. These are all 3 shot HDR's at 18mm. I put a couple "finished" crops in my "occasional Posting" thread.

View attachment 34360

View attachment 34361

View attachment 34362

View attachment 34363

Rick M

Another shot at 18mm,

DSC_4103_6847_4_6848_5_6849_tonemapped-3.jpg

Epoc

I've been wanting a wide for my D700. I was looking at the Sigma 12-24 or the Tokina 17-35. This thread and DXO's review have convinced me to buy this lens. Thanks Rick :cool:

Last edited:

Rick M

I've been wanting a wide for my D700. I was looking at the Sigma 12-24 or the Tokina 17-35. This thread and DXO's review have convinced me to buy this lens. Thanks Rick :cool:

Enjoy! You'll be surprised how light and sharp it is!

gqtuazon

Gear Head

Nikon has added this lens to the recommended list for the D800E

Great info Rick. I have been out of touch recently, part of it is probably because of the hot weather mixed with occassional heavy showers here in Asia.

I hope my interest in photography will not deminish since I have made a substantial investment with my equipment already.

Rick M

Great info Rick. I have been out of touch recently, part of it is probably because of the hot weather mixed with occassional heavy showers here in Asia.

I hope my interest in photography will not deminish since I have made a substantial investment with my equipment already.

​I think we all step back now and then. I go through that in the winter here. Keep shooting!

gqtuazon

Gear Head

​I think we all step back now and then. I go through that in the winter here. Keep shooting!

That's a pretty good way to keep it in into perspective. I'm sure it is much worse up North during winter and most of spring so I guess I should consider myself lucky. :eek:

oldsalt

Veeeeery nice shots, I've been out of the loop for a week or so due to my dear old mum's failing health, she's a bit better now and I'm home again and itching to get my camera out of it's bag and do some shooting... you have inspired me Rick - so look out world - me 'an the 800 will be out snappin' soon.
cheers

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

It's interesting that DXO Mark rates this lens as the 2nd sharpest wide zoom on the D610. It's second only to Nikon's 14-24mm f/2.8. What surprised me is that is tested sharper than Nikon's 16-35mm f/4. :eek:

Rick M

It's interesting that DXO Mark rates this lens as the 2nd sharpest wide zoom on the D610. It's second only to Nikon's 14-24mm f/2.8. What surprised me is that is tested sharper than Nikon's 16-35mm f/4. :eek:

Yes, that really made me feel good about this purchase. It is amazingly light also. It was so good at 28mm that I sold my 28mm 1.8g.

Dimson

could someone please post some 100% crops from center and corners please?

looks pretty good. i might consider this as a light backpacking alternative for my 14-24 :rolleyes: