Shooting runners on a track.

frioman007

Hello. I'm going to be trying to get some decent pictures of my daughter tomorrow running track with my Z7II and 100-400mm Z lens. Does anyone have an experience and advice to offer? What typically works best with AF-C? Single point, Dynamic, or AF-Area focus mode? I tried AF People and subject tracking and the eyes and face were not very sharp. Also I'll be needing to single her out in a group of runners.

BF Hammer

If you are attempting to track your daughter, Dynamic mode and manually put the AF point on her face. Use high-speed burst mode also. The goal is a couple of photos with good focus in the burst group.

My Z5 manual pretty much says Dynamic is for isolating an athlete in a group.

Last edited:

frioman007

Thank you. I'll try that. I guess I will try my best to get the lock on her eyes with her head somewhere within the helper points? I was thinking shutter speed of 500.

BF Hammer

I am thinking shutter speed of 1000 or even up 2000 and auto ISO. It is a matter of distance to subject and relative speed concerning the motion blur, so no exact recipe is the answer. But if you only have 1 shot to do it right, go faster.

If there are other races to practice on before your daughter, take advantage of that and dial in your exposure setting.

frioman007

Thank you. I did practice yesterday on the driveway! 500 speed seemed to do the trick nicely, and I was using continuous H release. My biggest question was the preferred focus area method. I played with a few, but I could not make a good decision. I think Dynamic or AF-Area focus mode was best, but I'm not sure. Subject tracking did not do very well.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I've done thousands and thousands of running pics, and I can say that 1/1000 or faster is the best way to assure no subject blur. As far as focus tracking, I feel most comfortable with focus area on my D500, but I'm not familiar with the area focus of the Z cameras. Dynamic certainly should do the trick.

frioman007

Well I did ok today I guess. It was a nice sunny day. ISO was on auto and was between 70-200 at 300-400mm. I had my shutter at 500 and was using BBAF with dynamic area mode. I had a few keepers but not nearly as many as I was hoping for. I may just need more practice tracking my subject. Or perhaps try a different focus area mode .