Steve Perry Preliminary Review of Firmware Update 4.1

BF Hammer

I watched last night. He thinks it brings the autofocus performance close to Sony level but won't commit to that until testing more side by side.

Danno

I watched last night. He thinks it brings the autofocus performance close to Sony level but won't commit to that until testing more side by side.

I was impressed with the improvement he saw. I think, now that the update is out, it will be interesting to see what he thinks with more time to review it.

Peter7100

It makes you wonder why Nikon are not on par with others, as I have heard most of the Nikon mirrorless cameras are not as good as both Sony and Canon regarding the AF performance. Hopefully the updates will match them as it is really a bad look for Nikon as many people will go to the so called 'best' systems, even if it is only minimal levels of a difference.

blackstar

It makes you wonder why Nikon are not on par with others, as I have heard most of the Nikon mirrorless cameras are not as good as both Sony and Canon regarding the AF performance. Hopefully the updates will match them as it is really a bad look for Nikon as many people will go to the so called 'best' systems, even if it is only minimal levels of a difference.
Check this (long) thread on Steve's BG Forum: https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/questions-regarding-nikon-z8-eye-af-animals.28372/

Danno

I quit looking at discussions about Nikon mirrorless a few months after my Z6. it did take me a while to figurethe systems out, and firmware updates helped, but I love my Z6. The Z8 is amazing. I am happy.

My experience has Sony folks and those who switched because of th Z6 was not a D500 have a vested interest in supporting their decision. The part I like is the continuous improvement of each Z body. They Z6 met my needs once I got comfortable.The Z8 has been amazing.

Bui can only share how I feel about the platform. I am glad I stuck with Nikon and the Z8 convinced to invest in new glass.