Stoshowicz's 52 2017

Stoshowicz

You are quite correct , some others are harder to distinguish. I take those shots whenever I see a flock go up, Ya never know what might be lurking in there.

Roy1961

ROY_1599.JPG

Stoshowicz

GesH! .. I gotta admit , I need more clarifications, , This here, in post 103, dark mantled gull is probably western gull adult , (unless you went to salton sea specifically to find yellow-footed gulls)

In post 104 I would say most of them are mew gulls , being very long in the wing,if the eyes are light there might be a ring-billed fourth from the left , (Western gull at far right and left)

Am I close?

Last edited:

Roy1961

GesH! .. I gotta admit , I need more clarifications, , This here, in post 103, dark mantled gull is probably western gull adult , (unless you went to salton sea specifically to find yellow-footed gulls)

In post 104 I would say most of them are mew gulls , being very long in the wing,if the eyes are light there might be a ring-billed fourth from the left , (Western gull at far right and left)

Am I close?

your the expert, i have no idea. i hope to get to the Salton sea after xmas.

Stoshowicz

Id say the center birds are blackbellied plover , and western gull- dark primaries, dark gray mantle -not blackish , red orbital ring , pink legs ... out here it would tally as a great black backed but the bill of yours is more attenuated) Nice.
( love them curlews! ) ( the marbled godwits and sanderlings we have too -so they arent as "Wow" )

Last edited:

Stoshowicz

I could go with either ring billed or mew gull on this , Looking at a site , seems to suggest that the mantle feathers tend to show less patterning,on mew ,, that is to say the edges on the mantle feathers are a bit light on this one, and the centers are a bit dark , rather than being very uniform. In this exposure , its hard to tell exactly what shade is the mantle gray color . I don't see why you should rule out a 1cy ring-billed so fast.

Stoshowicz

i think i will have to eat my words on this, a juvi ring billed.
Thats gulls for ya, I have a file for all the ones I really just can't conclude on. Depending on who your source is , the criteria used to ID them varies. I would love to find THE authority on what exactly IS a herring gull, and what exactly is not.

Stoshowicz

i think i will have to eat my words on this, a juvi ring billed.
Thats gulls for ya, I have a file for all the ones I really just can't conclude on. Depending on who your source is , the criteria used to ID them varies. I would love to find THE authority on what exactly IS a herring gull, and what exactly is not.