Upgrade from D3200 to ??

mikew_RIP

One thing you would get with the D7200 is the ability to fine tune the focus if needed with any lenses, the D3XXX and D5XXX dont have this facility.

Danno

I love my D7200. It works well. It is a good camera and most things that you would want to adjust you can do with buttons and dials rather than getting into the menu. That is the biggest change that I realized when I upgraded from the D3200 and I really liked being able to make adjustments without the menu.

If you can afford it... the jump to a D500 or D850 would be a great long term choice. There is a little steeper learning curve because the buttons are a bit different, but once you get the hang of them I think like either one of the cameras. I would suggest, if it is possible, rent some of these or at least try to check them out at a camera store.

The last point... Good glass is important. If you buy the 850 and do not have quality glass with it you will be disappointed. Just my 2cents.

spb_stan

If cost is not the issue, a Z6 would be the best camera for your subject since it(and the Z7) have by far the best connectivity of current cameras, regardless of brand. They also have better focusing since they do not need lens/camera fine tuning, so either from the excellent viewfinder or the hi-res rear screen and best of all for macro...excellent focus peaking, the best in the industry. Macro is done with manual focus and focus peaking shows you precisely where the focal plane is as you adjust. It can use either F mount lenses or the excellent S lenses that are sharper wide open than F lenses and cheaper, smaller and lighter.

I have both pro grade D850 and D800 plus a Z6 and for this use, the Z6 is the better choice. It is also small and only 650grams in weight and built better than any camera under the $6000 D5. I might be better weather sealed than that camera, however. The lenses are also better sealed so if you do any outdoor shooting in changeable weather than it would be of interest to yours.

Dawg Pics

If cost is not the issue, a Z6 would be the best camera for your subject since it(and the Z7) have by far the best connectivity of current cameras, regardless of brand. They also have better focusing since they do not need lens/camera fine tuning,
I went back and read some more information on the Z series. I didn't know about this. Thanks

Dawg Pics

Hi Dawg, what is your take on the Z series?
I don't have any experience with it, but based on what I have seen, I would consider it (Z7) for my next camera purchase if I decide to go mirrorless and stayed with Nikon. The price is a consideration for me, though. I would have to save up or sell some stuff.
The only feature I would miss that the D500 has are the backlit buttons. The Z7 has tilt screen, the 3 custom banks U1, Uf2, U3, 12 fps and is supposed to be good in low light plus it is a lighter camera than the D8** series. I guess you have to have a new set of lenses, but if you don't already have a lot of money invested in F-mount lenses, then no problem. I guess the lens mount adapter works. Just thought of that.

Maybe @Danno can weigh in. He just bought a Z.

Last edited:

Nikonewbie

All upgrades eventually lead to the D750 or D500. A great long step up is the D7200.

Hi Texas, Ive been reading up on the D750 and it is being known as "dated" I like what I read about it, it's definitely more than I really need but will also probably be the last camera I "need" and the 850 is suppose to be a step up but than I read that between the two 750-850 the 750 is the way to go.

Boy this is really mind-jerking

Dawg Pics

Boy this is really mind-jerking

It is. I narrowed the field down to the D7200 and D500 because I didn't want to invest in the glass. I didn't have my mind made up until I went to the store and tried both out. I did consider the D750 for the full frame option at the time, but....glass. I know several people on the forum have said they would go for the D850 if they could.

You could rent a camera for the weekend and see if you like it. Might be worth it before spending thousands.

Danno

@Nikonewbie, I have been looking at updating my FX D700 for a while, and I was looking at the 850 hard. It seemed to really fit my needs that the Z7 came along and a buddy bought one. I liked it but I was still leaning toward the 850. Than the Z6 came out and it really looked good it has a resolution that makes more sense to me. I just do not print big enough photos to need the resolution or crop that much.
I also read about the low light performance. I take a lot of photos @my church and low light is an issue. Also the IBIS. I bought the Z 6 and I am very happy. Low light and IBIS have been better than I expected and I really like the 24-70 f4 S lens that I bought with the body.
I am very happy with the Z6. My only struggle is waiting on the weather so I can get out and take pictures of something beside my dog.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Bb, I do buy and sell gold and silver coins so closeup detail is desired. I also buy and sell firearms and closeup details are important as well. I like photographing wildlife outdoor action events. What is the difference from DX to FX? Would FX be beneficial for closeups details?
I don't see what the upgrade to FX would bring in your description of usage.

Nikonewbie

Hello again,
yes I am reviving this thread because
I still haven't made the purchase but was wondering since the D7200 is discontinued and still for sale should I opt for the D7500 or D500?

Nikonewbie

BTW I plan on making the purchase at BestBuy unless you suggest other retailers, I want to go BB ways because I can play with it today instead waiting 3-5 days for delivery

Nikonewbie

I am asking here because I don't trust those at retail stores that get paid to just "push" the highest $ products instead of knowing like the pros here.

Horoscope Fish

I am asking here because I don't trust those at retail stores that get paid to just "push" the highest $ products instead of knowing like the pros here.
The D7200 vs. D7500 is is a classic give and take sort of scenario: you gain some things with the D7500 over the d7200, and vice versa. Either one, though, would be a huge upgrade. If the D7200 appeals to you, I certainly would not let the fact it has been discontinued sway your opinion.

Last edited:

spb_stan

None of these cameras make better images than the D3300. What they offer is more control so with skill it allows a user to get better images based on manual control but at the same time, unless using better technique images can be worse.
The D7200 has a lot of features that are shared with higher end enthusiast camera.
for close up work, Full frame has better close up and macro lenses. The kit lens on the Z6 24-70 f/4 is not a macro (micro in Nikon speak) but has excellent close working optics, better than any F mount crop macro lens. A dedicated macro lens will be full frame.

If you think this new purchase it the last camera you every buy, the D7200 would be a good bargain since they are going for $750 but the more capable easier to use Z6 just has had a $300 price reduction. The new price is $1699 body only.
The D7500 is $799 body only so that is a strong contender if you want to stay with current lenses.

The $799 price of a Z50 which is 80% of the Z6, smaller and lighter than any of them but with excellent image quality and manual focus using the EVF on Macro lenses. Manual focus is the normal focusing method with macro lenses. But in auto focus, for such subject the Z50, 6, 7 will focus more accurately than any DSLR. -
If you are into action wildlife shooting, saving for the D500 is very good for that style of shooting.

My first question is always, "what would the new camera do to make current photos better?" The answer usually is " I just want something new" The D3300 is a very capable camera, it has a sensor that is better in all ways than the top pro cameras of 2005 and no one complained about image quality. Look through almost any photo gallery and see great images from all eras and with equipment less capable than what you have now. The biggest difference is lighting, or tripods, not bodies. A d90 from 2008 12mpx is still capable of great portraits that would not be told from newest cameras.
The assumption that cameras make a big difference in image quality just does not stand up scrutiny. The differences is almost always in creative use of light and composition. Composition if free and lighting is cheap but both require learning skills in using them to paint the story you want to tell.

Danno

I have a 7200 and I upgraded to it from a 3200. The 7200 has more able focus and you can make many more adjustments without having to go to the menu. I wouldn't worry about the fact that it is being discontinued, it is a great camera.

The 7500 is not that big a jump above the 7200 unless you are big on transferring stuff to social media. Snapbridge is better than the D7200 software.

I do wish you well on this decision. I have moved to the Z6.