Used D3

Wickedred

I too am looking to make the change to FX format. I have a D90 and D7000 combo right now. Looking to go to a used D3 or D700. Is the D3S a better option? I mostly shoot at the Race track where lighting can be difficult. I have been following several sites and there is a substantial price jump from the D700 to the D3 series. I don't mind spending the Money if it is worth the investment.

Photowyzard

I have noticed since I first posted the D3s are starting to drop in price. Seen two in the last month with low clicks sell for $3k on Craigs List!

aZuMi

Didn't mean to bring up an old thread, but I have an option of buying a used D3 for $1,700 CAD. Would that be a good deal for this camera? I currently have the D600, but I want to get the D3 as my main mainly due to better AF, faster frame rate and smaller files.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Thanks!

AC016

Didn't mean to bring up an old thread, but I have an option of buying a used D3 for $1,700 CAD. Would that be a good deal for this camera? I currently have the D600, but I want to get the D3 as my main mainly due to better AF, faster frame rate and smaller files.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Thanks!

​go for it. Hope you can touch and feel before buying though.

Snap Happy

Yes, defiantly hands on if possible before parting with money for a second hand body. Especially for that price. Did they say what the shutter count was? Have you seen photos of the item?

aZuMi

Yes, defiantly hands on if possible before parting with money for a second hand body. Especially for that price. Did they say what the shutter count was? Have you seen photos of the item?

I've seen photos of the body and the shutter count is around 120k.
Looks ok through the photos, but I think I'll bring a laptop to make sure the sensor is good and there's no hot pixels, etc.

Stangman98

I would pay that price in a heartbeat! I spent $2300 on my D3 shipped and another $400 for a new shutter and sensor cleaning...yes please!

aZuMi

I was so close to getting the D3, but it wasn't meant to be. I think the guy realized that $1700 was a steal price - which is fair. As I posted in the other topic, I got the D700 with grip (6600 shutters) and 8gb cf card for $1300. Still not bad!

Kodiak

Last edited:

Billy Y.

On Amazon you can currently get a used D3s for $3999 in "like new" condition, you can get a D3x for $3199 in "like new" condition, and lastly you can get a D4 for $5199 in "like new" condition. I would take the D3x, for low noise at high ISO the D3s and if you really need fps at a low price grab a D700 and vertical grip, the sensors are the same and 7 fps (unless you are a photojournalist who depends on that critical moment) should suit most people.

Last edited:

Sambr

I own the D3S, the D3X and the D800E. Though the first two will outlast me, if anything bad should ever happen to my D3S, I would replace it with the D4.
If I didn't have the D3S already, I would go for the D4. I would suggest you to aim at the D4. Its a D3S with a more extreme set of skills! Vbrg

Totally agree The D4 is "souped up" D3s

Kodiak

Hello Billy,

Indeed! I was considering, in my comment, the relative functions of the tools,
the price was not weighted as parameter. My mistake, sorry!

​Vbrg

Billy Y.

Hello Billy,

Indeed! I was considering, in my comment, the relative functions of the tools,
the price was not weighted as parameter. My mistake, sorry!

​Vbrg

Hey no harm done, I had just been researching all of these cameras in the past few weeks so... Anyway if price is no problem then yes I would take the D4 anyday over all these others.

Stangman98

I would take the D3S LONG BEFORE a D4 right now. I have zero interest in buying an excessive amount of memory cards, multiple readers, etc for one camera. The high ISO is nill between D3S and D4.