wifi connection

musomaniac

yes it has a reset network setting which i have also tried at least three times , i have noticed that it asks for a password , but i do not have any passwords for it other than that which is on the bottom of the router which i have tried , and as stated it has nothing to do with the home router , so i'm a bit bamboozled as to what it means by "password"
Does your camera have a screen under the wifi menu to reset network settings? My d7200 has it. Try that. I just got a new phone, so I am getting re-familiar with this tonight. No password was needed, the phone just connected to the camera's wifi without issue. It just comes up as an unsecured network and I connected. So maybe try the reset network connection menu in the camera if you have it on your camera.

The last thing I would try is resetting the camera AND forgetting the network in the phone. Basically starting over from scratch since you had tried connecting to your home router. Just remember it only deals with your phone and camera No passwords or internet so forget those things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickt

So when you try to connect, it wants a password? It should definitely be 'open' with no password required. Here is what I learned.... It may not help you though, but I might as well wright it down... The camera wifi is open. But once you are connected, in the wmu app, you can change the camera to a secured network and add a password. This is done from your phone while it is connected to the camera but the changes are saved in the camera. You would need the password to connect to the camera in the future although your phone should remember it. I guess the purpose of this is to keep nearby persons from accessing your camera. If you get locked out, the reset network settings menu in the camera is used to put it back to open since you cant do it from the app if you are locked out.
If indeed you are being asked for a password, that would suggest that the reset network settings you tried in camera didn't work. If that is the case, maybe a full camera reset would help.
Without connecting, I think you can long click on the camera wifi in your phone and see properties to confirm it is open or secured.
My phone says no internet under the nikon wifi only before I connect.

musomaniac

i'm going to have to admit total defeat , i've now tried everything and it still will not connect to my phone , or my phone will not connect to the camera , as a last ditch effort i am going to try the wifes phone a samsung s7 and see what happens , at least i may find out if the camera is the problem or my phone through a process of elimination

musomaniac

tried with the wifes s7 , and same problem , it asks for a password which must be 8 digits long (same length as router password on the bottom) so tried the router password and again it comes up with "authentification problem " totaly beat now guys , dont know what else to try

nickt

Ok, if it asks for a password, try the reset network settings in the camera menu one more time. Make sure you get all the way in there and say yes to resetting the connections. If that doesn't work, try resetting the whole camera like Don suggested. There should be no password. You are connecting to the camera wifi, right? I forget the ID name, but Nikon appears in the name. It should be listed as 'open' if you long press it for info. I previously used my S5 and last night I connected my new s7 with no issues and no changes from default settings. My samsung tablet connects without issue too.

edit: a press gives me another screen, then I hit edit and network is listed as security 'none'. The name is Nikon_WU2xxxxxxx

Last edited:

nickt

Your camera network is probably a slightly different name, but it should look like this when you tap on the nikon network that appears on your wifi screen. If not, the network settings need to be reset in camera. If that doesn't work, resetting the whole camera might work. If not, it might be time to ask Nikon.

Screenshot_20170103-084254.png

musomaniac

tried all of the above , i get as far as the your photo shows , but when it tries to connect the aunthentification problem occurs , i have tried reset network on the camera , and i have also tried a full camera reset by pressing info and menu together to no avail
i have now contacted nikon , describing the problem and the guy on the other end cant understand it , he took my email address, and said he would get back to me once they have tried to replicate the problem . he also said it should not be asking for a password because its an open network , although he did say once connected a password can be set from the nikon wmu app

so i'm just wondering ........ this nikon d5500 i have is new second hand , basically its never been used , but could it be possible thst the previous owner set up a password in the nikon wmu app ,and its stored in the camera ? there doesnt appear to be anyway to access any password parameters in the camera itself

musomaniac

just had an email reply from nikon support ,they can't replicate the problem using one of theit d5500's he suggests trying another sd card ?? the one i have in is a sandisk 128gb and is brand new , he also said to try connecting in a different location , i will try both but i honestly cant see it working

nickt

i have is new second hand , basically its never been used , but could it be possible thst the previous owner set up a password in the nikon wmu app ,and its stored in the camera ? there doesnt appear to be anyway to access any password parameters in the camera itself
That reset newtork settings menu that we talked about earlier will clear the password and reset it to an open network. I tried it last night to verify exactly what it does. I was able to set it as a secure network with password from the app, lock myself out, and then clear it from the camera afterwords with the reset network menu. So if its not resetting to open for you, its sounds broken.

musomaniac

ok tried the reset network again , and its now come up with connected no internet ? nikon wmu app still says camera not connected

nickt

It is definitely connected? I only saw that message before the very first connection or after 'forgeting' the network. Once I connect I don't see it any longer. There is of course no internet but it should not keep warning you. If you open your browser, you will see a message telling you there is no connection. Its strictly a wifi connection to the camera for remote control purposes. There is a setting in my s7 called smart network switch. The default is OFF (I'm on verizon). If I turn it on, the nikon thing doesn't work right. The purpose of this phone setting is to switch back to cell data if the wifi shows no internet. It just comes to mind because you are seeing 'no internet', that makes me think you are not connected for sure or your phone is ignoring that connection due to lack of internet connectivity. I found that setting under advanced wifi settings on the s7.

nickt

If you don't have it, that is good. My old phone didn't have it either. My verizon s7 has it, but it defaults to off which is what you want. When I turned it on to see what it does, the Nikon connection dropped because there was no internet available on it.

musomaniac

ok heres a positive update , i can rule out any problems with the camera , as i've just managed to get it connected to my wifes s5 ......... BUT it will not connect to my phone moto g play , it keeps saying connected no internet , and the wmu app says no camera connected

nickt

Interesting. I don't know your phone, but look through all your wifi and cellular network screens for a download booster or network smart switch or anything else that implies it will look for another source if wifi isn't adequate. It sure sounds like your phone is unhappy that it is not finding the internet within your camera and its looking for a better connection. Maybe try turning off mobile data although you should not have to do that.