Don's D7100 Daily Dabblings - 2014

Went to the zoo again today. Carried my 55-200 top see how it would do. I think I am going to need to find tune it if I even keep it. I am getting the 70-300 soon so this one will probably get sold.

d71_0271-frameshop.jpg
d71_0251-frameshop.jpg
d71_0338.jpg
d71_0333-frameshop.jpg
d71_0292-frameshop.jpg
d71_0325-frameshop.jpg
d71_0280-frameshop.jpg
d71_0351-frameshop.jpg

mustang

the 24 megapixel is trying to tell you something .....................................

shhhhhh...................listen .................you can faintly hear it's cry.............."I demand better glass to see the world thru"

the 24 megapixel is trying to tell you something .....................................

shhhhhh...................listen .................you can faintly hear it's cry.............."I demand better glass to see the world thru"

That is why I ordered the 70-300 last night. The 18-140 is spot on though. Also I think I will check the fine tune on the 55-200 just to see if that is part of the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
That is why I ordered the 70-300 last night. The 18-140 is spot on though. Also I think I will check the fin tune on the 55-200 just to see if that is part of the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Don it could be just that it requires better handling. 24mp on a DX is A lot for a Dx. Similar to what i have observed between a 12mp vs 36mp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don it could be just that it requires better handling. 24mp on a DX is A lot for a Dx. Similar to what i have observed between a 12mp vs 36mp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure by what you mean by "Better Handling" but I am shooting a a fast enough shutter speed and in the middle of the range of aperture. Post processing is as it should be. The lens is just not a sharp and the 24mp shows that up more. The 18-140 is razor sharp. I am going to check the back focus on it this week just to see. I know I did have to adjust it on the D7000.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Not sure by what you mean by "Better Handling" but I am shooting a a fast enough shutter speed and in the middle of the range of aperture. Post processing is as it should be. The lens is just not a sharp and the 24mp shows that up more. The 18-140 is razor sharp. I am going to check the back focus on it this week just to see. I know I did have to adjust it on the D7000.

I see, if you are using fast enough SS with good aperture, then the AF would be the next reasonable thing to question.

Sharin

Yep, Three reasons.
1. It is just down the street from where I live so it is on 5 minutes away.
2. I have shot it enough times to know what it looks like and therefore a good way to judge what I am doing
3. There is no place to walk at my house so when I need to get out and get some exercise there is a nice creek walk downtown so I use it and the zoo for my exercise.
I started laughing... You call that a creek; here in the desert we call that a raging river. ;D

I see, if you are using fast enough SS with good aperture, then the AF would be the next reasonable thing to question.

I don't even take into effect the VR so i always use the reciprocal of the “Focal Length” guideline and usually add a little to that. When I use my 55-200 lens I rarely go below 1/250 sec. I set that as a minimum in the auto ISO setting. On my 18-140 I set it to 1/160 sec. when I get my 70-300 I will probably go to 1/.500 with it since it is so long and that length will really magnify any movement.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I don't even take into effect the VR so i always use the reciprocal of the “Focal Length” guideline and usually add a little to that. When I use my 55-200 lens I rarely go before 1/250 sec. I set that as a minimum in the auto ISO setting. On my 18-140 I set it to 1/160 sec. when I get my 70-300 I will probably go to 1/.500 with it since it is so long and that length will really magnify any movement.

Don - the most common complaint on the 70-300mm VR lens is that it gets softer on the long end approx. 270mm and up. If you intend to use that for your zoo walk-around, might have to compensate it to f8 on the long end.

Linkflap

Fourth one down is my favorite. Love the shadow on the inside of the wing. Were theses shot with the 18-140mm?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Fourth one down is my favorite. Love the shadow on the inside of the wing. Were theses shot with the 18-140mm?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Thanks and yes all of these were shot with the 18-140. I am getting a 70-300 tomorrow so I should be getting a little longer reach for these shots.

Was trying to get a sunset but I was to late. I saw this across and the sun had just set below the trees. This is a 5 shot HDR 2/3 stop between each shot. Also this is hand held.

D71_0670_HDR.jpg