Nikon DF first impressions

Brian

The question of being able to use manual focus lenses on this camera, took a walk on this cloudy day with the Df and the Nikkor 55/1.2 Ai. The viewfinder is bright and snappy, did not have trouble focusing with any part of the screen. Focus confirmation is useful if you have time, but mostly served as a "second opinion". I could focus the camera and then note that the green dot was lit. All shots at F1.2, ISO 100, in-camera Jpeg. I need to try the "D4" hack for the NEF files, or try to find the "D4" label in Lightroom.

When I shot mostly film, the F2AS, Nikon SP, and Leica M3 were my favorites. With digital, the Nikon Df is a good complement to the Digital Leica rangefinders. I have an amedeo adapter to use my S-Mount lenses on the Leica, and have most of the Nikkor lenses in Leica mount. If Nikon ever comes out with a Digital S-Mount camera, that would be perfect.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I just came back from my local photo store and have handled the Df... I'm so resisting the impulse of just going back to get it.... Talk about the nice X-mas gift I could give myself :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I just came back from my local photo store and have handled the Df... I'm so resisting the impulse of just going back to get it.... Talk about the nice X-mas gift I could give myself :)

I don't think I'll be able to leave that store without carrying one back home with me. Now that is control.

Sent from my iPhone.

Brian

Just spent a few hours using the Df with the Vivitar 135/2.3 S1 non-Ai and the 55/1.2 Ai. I setup the 135/2.3 in the menu as Non-CPU lens #2, never had to use the menu for anything else. Run a full range of ISO, and used in some dimly lit displays.

No problem focusing on any part of the screen. This is like focusing with an FE2 with an E-Screen. I like it.

I bought my first Digital SLR 20 years ago a Kodak DCS200- scientific and technical photography; first AF SLR 25 years ago- an N8008 when it first came out. I used the N8008 mostly with manual focus long-lenses, liked the bright screen and integral motor drive. I've been using manual focus Nikons since 1978. The Df is a joy to use.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The only thing holding me back is it's size and the grip. I "for now" much prefer the grip of the 700, 600 and 7000. Seems there was something lacking in the Df and the shutter button is on the straight top where the others the shutter is angled toward the from a bit making it nicer for me to hold.

For the same price, I could get a Sony Nex-6 AND an Alpha 7 with lenses... I'm on the fence.

Or, even better, I could use the money to travel and get great shots with my present cameras and lenses... ;)

​I just gave myself food for thoughts.

DraganDL

"Alpha 7 with lenses... I'm on the fence".

I have recently seen sample shots (jpgs) taken by A7. Sony is still Sony - deceptive in terms of looks vs quality (nice looking cameras producing lousy photos). It's ISO6400 looks like ISO12800 taken by lower end DX Nikon camera in terms of richness of detail and the way their noise filters work... On the other hand, Fuji made a huge leap with their X100s and Xe models, so that the crown of quality in both - compact and mirrorless system - is held by Fuji......

Last edited:

Brian

I can confirm that changing the ascii "NIKON Df" to "NIKON D4" allows the Df files to be processed by Lightroom 4.

HEX Offset '0183'x, ASCII "f" change to ASCII "4" and LR4 pulled them right in. I wrote a FORTRAN-77 program to batch process all of my files, took about 20 minutes. I wrote my own RAW convertor for my first Digital SLR bought 20 years ago. I am big into code re-use.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
"Alpha 7 with lenses... I'm on the fence".

I have recently seen sample shots (jpgs) taken by A7. Sony is still Sony - deceptive in terms of looks vs quality (nice looking cameras producing lousy photos). It's ISO6400 looks like ISO12800 taken by lower end DX Nikon camera in terms of richness of detail and the way their noise filters work... On the other hand, Fuji made a huge leap with their X100s and Xe models, so that the crown of quality in both - compact and mirrorless system - is held by Fuji......

Was that straight jpegs that you saw? I wonder if it could be their raw processor that thy to eliminate too much grain, creating jpeg artifacts?

Thanks for your opinion, it makes me want to wait more before spending my hard earned money. I already have 3 bodies and am quite happy with their usage.

The Df is just marketing attraction I think. That sensor sure looks attractive, but I'm not sure I'd gain "that much" the way I use my bodies for now.

To Brian, when you change the exif, is that done in Lightroom through a command, or does it have to be done before hand?
​I'm wondering just in case... :)

Brian

The EXIF has to be changed before importing the files into LR4. Any EXIF editing utility, file HEX editor, anything that will let you change the value of a byte in the file and write it back. LR3 will not work as it did not process D4 files. LR4 and LR5 will work with the D4, so will work with the hacked .NEF files.

I'll work with some of the High ISO files.

if I had a D700- would not feel the need for the Df. I'm glad waited though, I have a lot of pre-AI lenses. I used the Vivitar 135/2.3, it is a great lens. I used to have the Nikon 135/2, like this one better- has close range correction, focus to 3ft.

Brian

ISO 12,800, Vivitar 135/2.3 Series 1, NON-AI, Wide-open on the Df. 1/80th shutter speed, this is the Chosin Reservoir diorama at the Marine Museum in Quantico, VA. It is very dark, and has computer-controlled lighting to re-enact the night-time battle. This character is lit for 15seconds or so.

Processed in Lightroom 4.4, after hacking Byte at offset '0183'x.

Easiest Raw processor that I've ever written. 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Brian

Vivitar 135/2.3, wide-open, ISO 5000, Processed with LR4 defaults for color noise. Pearl Harbor exhibit at the Marine Museum.

Brian

I had no problem focusing on any part of the screen. I've never used a D800, D700, or D4- cannot compare them. But this camera is certainly as easy to focus as my classic manual focus film cameras with a B or E screen in them.

Depth of field is shallow at F2.3 with a 135 lens used close-up. Focus is spot-on.

Brian

ISO20,000. 135/2.3, Wide-Open. All of these are hand-held.
Just the defaults for LR4 noise reduction. I could use some additional processing to clean up, but these look good enough.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Very impressive high iso shots Brian. You have great arguments for the Df. It's mainly the sensor I'm wishing for. But the grip didn't impress me when I held it. But this was just a first and quick trial, no test shots done. Tomorrow...

Brian

Thankyou- now that I can work with the .NEF files, have more latitude for the high ISO. This I new territory for me!
The grip- if you use a Nikon F3, it's familiar. I'll bet some after-market grips come out soon. The Sensor is incredible, and according to some tests posted on DPREVIEW, this camera has better noise performance than the D4. The author of that test attributes the difference to the lower-readout rate, which makes sense.
I'll get a shot of my Nikon E3 (1997 DSLR) next to this camera. You'll never hear me complain about the grip!