Nikon DF first impressions

Brian

It's what your used to, I'm used to a Nikon F2. The right side top deck is where I expect everything to be. Lay my finger across the PSAM dial and the shutter speed dial, flex the finger to fire. Works well with gloves on. I can change ISO and compensation with gloves on, keeping my eye to the viewfinder because I'm used to a Nikon EL2.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Here's Thom Hogan's review of the Df, his take.

Seems it's not all black and white and some will love while others won't. So it's not the perfect camera yet... :(

Brian

I have a digital camera that is all Black and white. two in fact, the first bought 20 years ago.

Some would love to see a monochrome Df.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Here's Thom Hogan's review of the Df, his take.

Seems it's not all black and white and some will love while others won't. So it's not the perfect camera yet... :(

It maybe possible that the Df line could evolve as technology progresses.

The Df could be a test platform (pure speculation on my part). I expect Nikon to create a data base on what the potential users would like to have based on the survey that they've conducted and then add those features on the next model.

Sent from my iPhone.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It maybe possible that the Df line could evolve as technology progresses.

The Df could be a test platform (pure speculation on my part). I expect Nikon to create a data base on what the potential users would like to have based on the survey that they've conducted and then add those features on the next model.

That would be nice if they'd listen to their customers. Then maybe they could take care of the customer service after the sales are made...

Brian

I haven't kept up with other DSLR's, not sure how much better it gets than using AF at "ISO HI4", F5.6, 180mm, at 1/160th second. I would probably be tempted to break out a flash. Hand-held, AF kept up with my lack of steadiness.

Brian

These are with the 70-180 F4~F5.6 Nikkor Zoom, AF-D.

This lens is late 90s or so. AF was fast on it. The sunlit stalks of grass are "AF nightmares". Some searching, single-servo, lock, recompose.

Deer is a grabshot, helicopter is a test- went closest focus to it.

Brian

A 45 year old Telephoto, no "ED" glass, wide-open, manual-focus, picked up used for $150 over 30 years ago.

100% crop.

I used it a lot on the F2 and F, airshows and wetlands.

Brian

Used the Df a good bit today. the first shot of my daughter opening presents is with the 55/1.2 Ai, at F2. Focus on her eyes, done using the corner of the screen. "Forced myself" to take the 55/1.2 off and use the 50/1.8 Kit lens. AF is fast and quiet, works well in low-light. Portraits are at ISO 200, the shot of the Christmas ornament is at ISO 12,800, F1.8, and 1/40th second. I used AF for this shot- it works.

Last edited:

crycocyon

Funny enough I just learned about this camera today. I read the reviews. In principle I like this camera and thinks it looks great because I'm into the whole retro thing. At this point buying a camera like this would be an emotional decision, not necessarily a practical one since there isn't any void it would be filling in my very modest photographic arsenal. It would probably be a joy to own and use. But it would just be another nice camera. I don't see it as being worth it with a 16 mp sensor. I could see the price if it was a 24 mp sensor. I don't see why the shutter has such a low rating of 150k when you consider how robust this camera is built.

All that aside, when I see sample photos from this camera posted here and on google searches I find myself really enjoying their quality. It isn't about the sharpness as I expect from a D800, there's something nostalgic about the quality, a certain depth or dimension coupled with realistic color rendition that I really like. Photos also look great in black and white. They almost look like photographs taken on film.

Last edited:

Brian

There is much more to a sensor than just the number of megapixels; the 16MPixel sensor used has a big native dynamic range. The sensor has a very high "Well-Capacity", ~120,000electron per pixel- about 3x that of the D600. The Df has lower noise than the D4, probably due to lower frame rate. That appealed to me.

Brian

Okay- this post is a bit of an IE11 test, which I just found the "hidden series of buttons to click at random to fix the thing" and a comparison,This is with the M Monochrom set at ISO 5000, with a 1943 Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm F1.5- wide-open,

attachment.php

And the Df with a 55/1.2 Ai wide-open, also ISO 5000.

attachment.php

Brian

DSC_0694 by putahexanonyou, on Flickr

Rotating ornament, all of the rings move separately.

Classic 1950 German glass, lower contrast and "swirly" bokeh. This lens is comparable to a Leica Summicron, but costs about 1/50th the price. This one was $10.

Brian

Some more with the 50/1.9 Xenon.

Wide-Open.

DSC_0822

DSC_0837

This lens is the equal of the Leica Summicron, renders much like it. I bought the Df to use with my older lenses: F Mount and Retina mount.

Last edited:

Nero

Funny enough I just learned about this camera today. I read the reviews. In principle I like this camera and thinks it looks great because I'm into the whole retro thing. At this point buying a camera like this would be an emotional decision, not necessarily a practical one since there isn't any void it would be filling in my very modest photographic arsenal. It would probably be a joy to own and use. But it would just be another nice camera. I don't see it as being worth it with a 16 mp sensor. I could see the price if it was a 24 mp sensor. I don't see why the shutter has such a low rating of 150k when you consider how robust this camera is built.

All that aside, when I see sample photos from this camera posted here and on google searches I find myself really enjoying their quality. It isn't about the sharpness as I expect from a D800, there's something nostalgic about the quality, a certain depth or dimension coupled with realistic color rendition that I really like. Photos also look great in black and white. They almost look like photographs taken on film.
If I had the extra money I would definitely add it to my collection just for the retro-design alone. It would definitely turn a few heads.

atleo

My first impression after shooting it is that it feel like it is half the weight of my d700. It's so light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk