hark 2023

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I went back to the wharf last night to photograph a yacht race (well ... actually a sailboat race, but that's what they call it). I have a Facebook photographer friend who is on the crew of one of the boats. This is the boat I photographed the most. Coincidentally it's the boat he's on. These were taken before the start of the race. There were only 3 boats participating, and the other two motored down towards my right (no sails). Since they seemed to stay down to my right which was very hazy when pointing the camera in that direction, I opted to leave. Maybe next week there will be more boats.

_5DX4205 low res.jpg

_5DX4200 low res.jpg

_5DX4202 low res.jpg

_5DX4207 low res.jpg

_5DX4214 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks, Brent. It's supposed to be a weekly race, but I think to get the best view, I would need to go over to New Jersey. Not sure I will do that as I don't know if that area is safe.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Since I'm in a sling again (2nd rotator cuff surgery this year). these are just cell phone photos. Only resized for the forum - no other editing. We've had a couple of weeks with extremely high humidity. Today is the first day in a long time where the weather was much more bearable with lower humidity and temps. :)

Lately sky has been rather blah. Lots of smoke and haze from the fires in Canada. However, I was really surprised with how beautiful the sky is today.

IMG_0672 resize.jpg

IMG_0676 resize.jpg

IMG_0680 resize.jpg

IMG_0679 resize.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I took a trip down memory lane today - all the way back to 1984. After heating up this dinner, I stirred the contents and was immediately transported back in time! 😄

Where's the Beef low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I am SO rusty. Trying to get back into photography slowly and carefully while also keeping awareness on my shoulder due to the weight of the camera/lens. I'm just 8 weeks post surgery and still have a ways to go before I can really lift much of anything with that arm. Even my Photoshop skills need improvement. Before my surgery, I upgraded to a Mac which allowed me to use a newer version of Photoshop. Its layout is completely different from what I was used to using so I feel like I'm starting all over again from the beginning of how to use the program.

_10K7682 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This newly painted mural was recently unveiled to the public. Ages ago there used to be a port in this area along the Delaware River so the mural depicts its thriving history. I am impressed by the artist's work. In fact, just last week they had a tall ship docked at their waterfront park for the public to visit. I *think* they even offered boat rides.

_10K7706 low res.jpg

_10K7713 low res.jpg

_10K7714 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Not a great photo, but I took it to show just how narrow the New Hope Bridge really is (crosses the Delaware River between Pennsylvania and New Jersey). The car on the right stayed put while the opposing traffic passed by slowly. No idea why there is even a traffic light. Obviously it isn't to maintain one way traffic.

_10K8057 low res.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Last weekend I tried photographing a falconry session. I've done them in the past (this was my first in 11 months), but with my shoulder issue, I had to use a monopod. That worked fine for stationery images, but when the hawk was flying, it was pretty much impossible to lock focus. NOW I understand the benefit of using a gimbal head ... which I don't have. My monopod head is a tilt head, and I kept it locked so my lens didn't flop around. That would have required too much arm movement. So anyway ... here are a few from the session. This is Cade, a Harris's Hawk owned by Masters of the Skies.

_5DX4667 low res.jpg

_5DX4750 low res.jpg

_5DX4858 low res.jpg

Robin W

Last weekend I tried photographing a falconry session. I've done them in the past (this was my first in 11 months), but with my shoulder issue, I had to use a monopod. That worked fine for stationery images, but when the hawk was flying, it was pretty much impossible to lock focus. NOW I understand the benefit of using a gimbal head ... which I don't have. My monopod head is a tilt head, and I kept it locked so my lens didn't flop around. That would have required too much arm movement. So anyway ... here are a few from the session. This is Cade, a Harris's Hawk owned by Masters of the Skies.

View attachment 397724

View attachment 397725

View attachment 397726
It really makes a difference when you can get close. What a beautiful bird! Nice photos!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
It really makes a difference when you can get close. What a beautiful bird! Nice photos!
It definitely makes it so much easier. There were times I had to back up because I was too close for the minimum focusing distance.

Clovishound

We have a raptor rescue center in our area. They give demonstrations with their "ambassador birds". It gives a great opportunity for photographing these beautiful animals. While they do have tethers and radio locators on them, you can get close up pictures of them that would be extremely difficult to get in the wild.