Nikon Z50 mirrorless APS-C camera and two lenses (16-55mm and 50-250mm) to be announc

mikew_RIP

I thought my post might be a little contentious. ;) I can see how "fitting in with.. current gear" is a major plus point for many. Kudos to Nikon for the smart move of one mount for all Z bodies making it easier to trade up (sic) to full frame without having to to ditch any glass.

A friend kindly lent me his A7ii and a few lenses earlier in the year and my wrists still ache. Nice but too big and heavy, also IMO unbalanced when fitted with a heavy lens i.e. any Sony lens.

Having just watched Jared Polin's preview, the Z50's tempting. Pity the ZTF adapter isn't included with the two lens kit.

https://youtu.be/42uM-HcJPKY

While i will probaly get the adapter at sometime i felt the launch offer with the two lenses was too good to miss, i have no interest in full frame, tried a D750 for a few months, great camera but i was cropping most shots in PP.

carguy

If its one digit for DX and two for FX and FX is at Z7 Nikon obviously dont see too many new models coming :D

I'm sure it's like the current setup, one digit for pro, two digits are for a lesser 'grade' (consuer, prosumer, etc.)

It just seemed funny at the time. Maybe not so much now lol

mikew_RIP

Made me smile

Capture.jpg

Glevum Owl

While i will probaly get the adapter at sometime i felt the launch offer with the two lenses was too good to miss, i have no interest in full frame, tried a D750 for a few months, great camera but i was cropping most shots in PP.
I've spent way too much time this weekend hunting for my next camera. After looking at close to 20 'possibles' I kept coming back to the Z 50. It tick all the boxes for me as a family camera and I can ditch the camcorder too. Oh dear, I feel a purchase coming on.....

spb_stan

The Z50 will be Nikon's best selling cameras.

It is a a ruggest miniature Z6 minus IBIS and is compatible with more lenses other brand Dx cameras, has the video features most people want, has excellent low light performance, Expeed 6 processor so it probably is better in IQ than any prior Nikon Dx, and unifies the upgrade path, since a common mount for full and crop cameras means easier transition between the two. Of course the usual suspects on Youtube pan it badly, but they also do the same with every Nikon, even after proven wrong.

I am surprised it has so many of the useful features of the Z6/7. It is not a D7500 level camera but a small 20% less functional Z7 when using a Z7 in Dx mode. It has all the advantages of the mirrorless, a full magnesium body, weather sealing, selfie optimized, high frame rate almost unlimited buffer, eye tracking, and can use any of the great S lenses if someone is serious about a travel or sports camera that fits in a pocket. The tiny 18-50 semi-pancake lens for $250 is very interesting.
The largest market for cameras, casual users, travelers, etc only uses 1 lens, 2 is uncommon and 3 lenses is just plain rare. The kit lens, out to 375mm field of view is all and more than 80% of the market would ever need. IF they got the bug to advance, their upgrade path is easy, just add am S prime or get a Zx body alone and gradually add lenses.
The audience for this camera is large and the features are well targeted. If they go to Best Buy and feel various cameras, how they fit in the hand and feel for ruggedness, it is a no brainer which to get. There is no Sony ever made that feels as good in the hand or has as good control or menu system so salesmen/clerks can easily sell this camera.
I had no interest in Dx but this would be a great camera for my GF since she travels so much. She thinks my Z6 is too big and heavy but always takes more photos than I do. It will sell for $799 in most discount chains and lists for $870 or so. She would only want the small pancake lens but could borrow my S primes if really needed.
My first Nikon when moving to Digital was the D90 which I loved, and it, with the kit lens was $1390 back when the value of the dollar was 30% more.
If the GF knew the controls and menu of the Z50 she could pickup a Z6/7 and not need to fiddle with anything, the same touch screen control of most variables needed to set, same two programmable buttons in front and same grip. This is the first time higher end and the low end Nikons were so seamlessly interchangeable and interoperable.
The reviewers all mentioned how small it was but how comfortable, Z6 like, the grip was, that alone is enough to set the Z50 apart from the competitors. The only downside, a minor one, is having to carry a different charger, although it can charge in-camera with USB-C charger so maybe that is just an advantage over other models.
Basically Nikon has 3 models that replace all their cameras except a D5/6 that only sells in the 10s of thousands anyway. There is room for a $4-5k sports action camera in the line but otherwise the have beginner to pro covered now with just 2 bodies(since the Z6 and 7 are using identical bodies).

Well none Nikon!

Patrick M

The Z50 will be Nikon's best selling cameras.

It is a a ruggest miniature Z6 minus IBIS and is compatible with more lenses other brand Dx cameras, has the video features most people want, has excellent low light performance, Expeed 6 processor so it probably is better in IQ than any prior Nikon Dx, and unifies the upgrade path, since a common mount for full and crop cameras means easier transition between the two. Of course the usual suspects on Youtube pan it badly, but they also do the same with every Nikon, even after proven wrong.

[ S N I P ]

Basically Nikon has 3 models that replace all their cameras except a D5/6 that only sells in the 10s of thousands anyway. There is room for a $4-5k sports action camera in the line but otherwise the have beginner to pro covered now with just 2 bodies(since the Z6 and 7 are using identical bodies).

Well none Nikon!

Well put. I won’t be swapping out from my D7500, though I wish I could argue the case.

I had a response from Practical Photography after I commented on their YouTube review, and I’m a big fan of theirs...
8219d2417bb37c824fd138550b6acdd4.plist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

spb_stan

Thanks for the response Patrick,
The D7500 is a good DSLR and has a lot of comfortable familiar features we all became accustomed to. I was pretty sure I had found my ultimate camera in the D800, then adding the D850, and both got great images for me. I was happy, and did not have any interest in the little mirrorless toys. I added one for one reason, my lens collections and gripped body were getting too heavy and large for travel with the tighter restrictions in overhead bins on regional airlines. I had spent a month in Turkey starting just before New Years last year and the only camera that would fit the restrictions was my D7000 and original kit lens for my first DSLR, a 18-105. It did fine for vacation memory capture, actually better than fine, it did very well except in very low light situations where flash was not permitted. The next day after returning to St Petersburg Russia I visited one of the camera stores which had a good stock and found they had a stack of Z7.
I had high res covered with the D850 so was less interested in that and figured Z6 would be better for travel and low light. I ended up getting the Z7, the first one I ever held, liked the solid feel of it, very confidence inspiring, but when I put the EVF to my eye, instantly my opinion of mirrorless, or at least Nikon Z cameras changed. I had used friend's Sony a7II and a7III and was not impressed with build, controls, and ergonomics. The EVF was not very good on either. But this Z7 is EVF was bright, very sharp, great color and allowed manual focus in light conditions I could never attempt with an optical VF. I shot with it for a couple weeks and used every excuse to take it out instead of my D850. It was so satisfying to hold and shoot that the D850 got less and less use.
The store manager knew I wanted the Z6 so he has promised when they became available he would take back the Z7 if I still preferred the smaller pixel count. He was sure I would prefer the Z7 if I just used it more. He called to say the next day a shipment from Nikon would arrive and Z6s were on the manifest. It was a hard choice, the IQ of the Z7 was identical to the D850, which is pretty darn good. He worked out deal to take the 7 back and instead of refund for the difference proposed thoughing in a 35 1.8 and 50 1.8. Done. The Z6 is a better General purpose camera that excels in video and low light and speed. I have shot it very day in commercial sessions, events, walking around, travel, and it goes with me almost everywhere in a small sling bag.
If you wish to get the most enjoyment from the D7500 I warn you, do not, under any threat or coercion look at the world, or a dark room, through the Z6/7 EVF. I warned you. For if you did it would be VERY hard to go back to a FX size OVF let alone the small dim Dx OVF. And do not try the S lenses, they are optically superior to even the best F mount. The little kit 24-70 f/4 is sharper corner to corner than the flag ship 24-70 2.8 G or E. I have both of those lenses and the difference in optics, especially when considering how large and expensive those are. The 50 1.8 is the sharpest lens a 1.8 I have ever used. After using it, one would not use their other normal lenses again. The 24-70 2.8 S is the best mid zoom on the planet.
It occured to me quickly that my investment in the D850 was going to take a big hit when people started selling theirs to finance Z cameras so I ended up selling it at the beginning of summer and kept the D800 because its resale value was lower than I valued the file quality it produces and or clients insist on higher res files.
I suspect a higher end Z body will be released this winter, in time for the olympics for those who need higher res than a D6 or D5 provide. With the announcement of thee Z50 it is a safe bet they are not going to release 3, 5 or 7 series DSLRs. They may refresh the D500 however. The Z50 has enough bases covered to be the Nikon universal entry level, casual, vlogger, or travel camera. This unified mount will encourage....force...Sigma and Tamron to release Z mount lenses or miss out on the Nikon market.

Danno

Maybe I need to have a more serious think on this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patrick I will not repeat all that Stan mentioned... I will only echo his warning. I went from the D7200 to a D700 and fell in love with full frame. I set my sights on the D850 until a buddy bought the Z7. The EVF over an OVF just blew me away. Add to that the focus system and the IBIS and I was sold. I never really needed the High res of the 850. I was more interested in low light performance, so I picked the Z6. Now the 700 and 7200 rest quietly and I work with the Z6.

So Do NOT try one unless you are ready to make the change.

Patrick M

Danno, Stan
I hate you! Now I’ve got to got try a z6!!!!!!
Now lucky for me, my next door neighbour is a pro photographer and she’s got the z6 —- I’ll have her over for a coffee morning very soon I expect LOL

THANKS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glevum Owl

Patrick I will not repeat all that Stan mentioned... I will only echo his warning. I went from the D7200 to a D700 and fell in love with full frame. I set my sights on the D850 until a buddy bought the Z7. The EVF over an OVF just blew me away. Add to that the focus system and the IBIS and I was sold. I never really needed the High res of the 850. I was more interested in low light performance, so I picked the Z6. Now the 700 and 7200 rest quietly and I work with the Z6.

So Do NOT try one unless you are ready to make the change.
Aw, heck. So do I go for the cheaper, smaller crop frame Z 50 now or wait until some savings mature next March and get the full frame Z6 then?

Patrick M

Aw, heck. So do I go for the cheaper, smaller crop frame Z 50 now or wait until some savings mature next March and get the full frame Z6 then?

If you’re going from the D3xxx then I think the z50 is a great move now unless you’re already considering full frame and the huge cost of that glass you’ll need ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikew_RIP

Depends on a few things, why do you want full frame, what will it give you crop will not,which of the images you have would have been better on full frame,what do you do with your images, full frame by many is seen as the pinnacle of achievement not by me though for what i do.

Danno

[MENTION=27703]Glevum Owl[/MENTION], I think @mikew has the answer, and lists the things to consider. I wanted low light because a lot of the photos I take are for my church and the lighting is always iffy. the D7200 was better, but from the examples I had seen the FX bodies handled it better and could produce a better image at a higher ISO. I got an opportunity to get a D700 at a great price and I really fell in love with it. It was better at the things I shot at my Church and the family photos, prom and grad photos.

The Z6 was order of magnitude better than the D700 for most things. I still love the D700 for some things. I had an advantage. I focused my spends on FX glass pretty early. Every post I read said spend the money on good glass. They were right and I have not been disappointed by that. I purchased some good FX glass including Tamron for my 70-200 f2.8 G2 and all of them work on my Z6.

The 7200 did great for a large part of my shooting and for some it was better because of the added reach but FX fit more. I have done some sports and birds, but not near what I do Church stuff, landscapes, and architecture.

spb_stan

What do you shoot the most, do you print them, are you interested in getting at least one lens. The Z6 will have less than a stop improvement over the Z50, both will be very good for low light. My Z6 runs circles around my D800 in low light but the D800 is no slouch for image quality, in fact excellent.
Your AF-P 70-300 will work really well on either and it will focus with less motor chatter than AF-s lenses. But both both you will need the FTZ adaptor. If you wanted to spend a bit more, get the "kit" with Z6 with the excellent 24-70 f/4. Using the camera in FX with the 24-70 with superior optical quality an the 70-300 in DX mode for longer reach, to 450mm eq.

Or
Z50 with 2 lens kit(the Telephoto is better of the two) and eventually get one of the fast prime f/1.8 for those cases where IQ is to be optimum. Having at least one fast prime adds a lot of versatility to the kit. The 50 1.8 S on the Z50 will have the field of view of a 75mm so would be a great portrait lens. If you are not interested in portraits maybe the 35 1.8 or 20mm.

If your subjects are wider, such as landscapes, or architecture, the Z6 would be better because there are few if any wide angle Dx lenses. For sports or birds, wildlife the Dx might be pretty impressive with the kit telephoto. I prefer FX because much of my paid work is portraits, events and theater/ballet and it fits my lenses better. The shallower depth of field for any given focal length is a big plus for me. If doing studio session shallow OF is not so important because I have full control of the background and usually use strobes of flash(even just walking around I has a flash mounted on my camera for fill on sunny days)

Which camera depends on budget and future plans, and subject matter. Image quality will be great with either. The Z6 like having a DX and a Fx sp your lenses would serve a wider range of subjects.
The Z50 with both new lenses(you would want want the 16-50 Z lens but would need to add the FTZ to use your telephoto so you might be better off selling the telephoto and buying the kit tele and not get the FTZ.

Your flash will work with either. The off camera or shoe mounted flash you have will be more flexible than the built in popup flash. The popup is fine in a pinch and traveling light but anytime you can get the flash pointed off axis to the subject will be much better, using bounce or a diffuser.

Do you post process RAW NEF files or do you shoot JPG? If you use JPG most of the time, the Z50 might be better because it has more in-camera presets for effects, which are not used when shooting raw and post processing.

Glevum Owl

Right, I've spent an hour or two checking out the Fuji T-30 (again) on the recommendation of an insistent, arty friend. And returned right back to the Z 50.

Thanks for all the advice. I had no intention of hijacking the thread. Honest.

@Glevum Owl, I think @mikew has the answer, and lists the things to consider. I wanted low light because a lot of the photos I take are for my church and the lighting is always iffy. - snip -
I'm mainly a family shooter so it's portraits, seasonal events, holidays, personal moments and action shots of our daughter who's a one person perpetual motion machine. Like you I shoot a little architecture and some in our church; low, mixed lighting is not the photographer's friend. My D3300 just about coped with the last Nativity play, the problems were having to use a high ISO and keeping focus on so many moving little ones. Also occasionally I'll slip out with a friend and photograph some of the historical local buildings.

What do you shoot the most, do you print them, are you interested in getting at least one lens. - snip -
I rarely print, shoot RAW exclusively and use both my lenses in equal measure. Thanks for your comments. The advice to keep the SB400 is noted!

The modest kit I have now has served me very well for five years. Therefore the Z 50 kit lenses should be fine providing they perform as they did in Jared Polin's YouTube excellent Z 50 'preview'.

So, amalgamating all the advice, and given my budget, I think I'll
- sell the D3300 and both lenses,
- get the Z 50 two lens kit (Mikew's right, it's too good a deal to miss),
- save up for the Nikon NIKKOR Z 50mm f1.8 S Lens (and a maybe Z6? ;)).

At least that's the plan for now. Who knows what prime lenses for the Z50 Nikon will release in the next few years? If none, then the FTZ mount adaptor is always an option.

NestorStura

Thanks all. I am going through a similar decision with my D3300 so I got a lot of ideas to work around.
Very useful!!!

Enviado desde mi LM-X410.F mediante Tapatalk

mikew_RIP

DX or FX its a never-ending forum argument like protection filter or not, I urge people to look at the use they put the gear too, consider price and weight then make a decision after reading and considering the advice.

Most of the years my photography has been based on natural history subjects that require me to get as close as I can and then use the longest lens I can,after my Z50 purchase I will still have the Panasonic with the 100-400 lens (FOV = 200-800) for the longer-range/small subjects.
I went against the trend a few years ago buy moving to mirrorless for things like BIF, because of the need to carry lighter gear and M4/3 gave me that, it still says Nikon right through me like a stick of rock :D the Z50 looks like it will fit the bill for me.

I do struggle to find a true reason/justification for the change but I guess ime at the age I don't need to justify it, want is enough.

mikew_RIP

Any one know what this means on the 50-250

nikkor_z_dx_50-250mm_4_5-6_3_vr_control_ring--original.jpg

Take control

The silent control ring can be used for key functions including manual focus, aperture control (great for fading in or out during video recording), or exposure compensation.

Sounds to be useful in combination with an EVF easy exposure compensation

Last edited: