Zf Released!

Danno

This is quite a camera with a floppy screen, 8 stops IBIS, 24 MEGA BITE Sensor, pixel shift fz8 and z9 focus system, and 8 stops IBIS. This is a good video. Matt Irwin likes Z tech as much as I do with an amazing budget. $2000 US

BF Hammer

Ever since I handled a Z Fc in the store, I wanted a full frame version. But I don't see preview hardware reviews as being reliable enough to make a buying decision. I want to see the more in-depth testing reviews that will be coming soon enough.

A major point of concern with the Z Fc after the light weight has almost universally been the issue of Auto-ISO activation. Most camera bodies allow you to hold a dedicated ISO button and rotate the front command dial to toggle Auto-ISO on/off. Quick and painless. The Z Fc requires going into the menu system to activate it. Looking at the photos of the controls, I don't see that this camera will be different in that way. All they needed to do is add an "auto" position on the ISO dial. Missed opportunity by the design team.

Needa

Challenge Team
The auto ISO is a small concern to me as I rarely use it, it does seem like it would have been an easy fix. The area of concern for me is requiring the screen use for focusing. Think its definite hands on before purchase.

Fred Kingston_RIP

Ever since I handled a Z Fc in the store, I wanted a full frame version. But I don't see preview hardware reviews as being reliable enough to make a buying decision. I want to see the more in-depth testing reviews that will be coming soon enough.

A major point of concern with the Z Fc after the light weight has almost universally been the issue of Auto-ISO activation. Most camera bodies allow you to hold a dedicated ISO button and rotate the front command dial to toggle Auto-ISO on/off. Quick and painless. The Z Fc requires going into the menu system to activate it. Looking at the photos of the controls, I don't see that this camera will be different in that way. All they needed to do is add an "auto" position on the ISO dial. Missed opportunity by the design team.
Since the auto-focus systems are so ubiquitous and smooth, you almost don't need the lens focus ring, so you can re-program the focus ring on the lens to change the ISO or for exposure compensation... It's so smooth and fast, and the EVF responds so well... I find I'm not using auto-ISO, just using my finger to quickly spin the focus-ring

Camera Fun

Could the storage change have been for space considerations? One real downside is for users who have already invested in one storage system combination and now would need to also purchase the smaller card for this camera.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Could the storage change have been for space considerations? One real downside is for users who have already invested in one storage system combination and now would need to also purchase the smaller card for this camera.
That is what I thought as well. I think in practical use it would become annoying.

BF Hammer

The storage card choice is for certain due to tight space. They already had to turn the battery 90-degrees to allow it to fit the body.

Micro-SD is widely used in so many devices that I would find it incredible that somebody would complain about having to buy another one or four. I have had so many fail inside of Samsung phones that I have a couple of spare 32MB and 64MB micro-SD waiting to be used. I have MP3 players, tablets, streaming TV boxes, portable GPS device, and a dashcam that all store things on micro-SD cards.

But I believe the idea here will be to use the micro-SD as a safety backup which should be left in camera and use the regular SD card to remove and put into a card reader. So splitting Raw and Jpg files to different cards like I normally do is not recommended then. But I like that they gave the safety option. Z6-II and Z7-II also are using dual card slots of different types of media. It's not a new thing that way.

I have been checking the early reviews a lot, I still have not seen anybody address Auto-ISO. Even Ken Rockwell wrote a somewhat unhappy review of the Zf but did not point out anything regarding if the Auto-ISO on/off is possible on the dial. And I know he brought up the issue with the Zfc. The Northrups were similarly quiet on this after bringing it up with the Zfc.

Last edited:

BF Hammer

Manuals are now live on the website. (10-12-2023)

BBF on the AE-L/AF-L works in the customary Nikon way.

The ISO dial has a "C" position. Don't know what C stands for, but in that position the menu system sets the ISO value and rotating the dial then overrides that. So the way to Auto-ISO quickly is to default the camera in the menu setting to ISO-Auto, so setting the dial to "C" puts it in Auto. Pretty much how I hoped it would work.

I don't need a furnace this winter, do I?

Nero

Manuals are now live on the website. (10-12-2023)

BBF on the AE-L/AF-L works in the customary Nikon way.

The ISO dial has a "C" position. Don't know what C stands for, but in that position the menu system sets the ISO value and rotating the dial then overrides that. So the way to Auto-ISO quickly is to default the camera in the menu setting to ISO-Auto, so setting the dial to "C" puts it in Auto. Pretty much how I hoped it would work.

I don't need a furnace this winter, do I?
Yup, saw this yesterday. I was so happy. This might be my new camera.

TwistedThrottle

Just got mine, woohoo! Some things I love and some I do not. I like the all black, it looks classy and doesn't scream, "look at me!". I'm not a big fan of how it fits in my hand. I ordered a SmallRig bracket that should be here tomorrow or the next day and I'm hopeful it will be an ergonomic bump, (pun intended, lol!). Without the grip, anything larger than the standard 24-70 lens feels weird. I'm sure its something I will quickly get used to but I hope the grip improves ergos. That SmallRig grip should have been something that was packaged with the camera from Nikon, (like it was for other countries, but not USA for whatever reason). Fingers crossed that SmallRig will be able to keep up with demand because I have a feeling that for every Zf that sells, there will be an order for that grip as well. I've never used a Z8 or Z9 but the AF is significantly better than either my z6 or z7ii. Its very fun to use, having the option to shoot as we've become accustomed to or to turn the dials and feel like we're shooting old school. So many more features to explore but so far, overall, I love it!