Zf Released!

TwistedThrottle

Sorry, forgot we had dinner plans tonight after work. Ha! I totally misunderstood, lol! I thought you were looking for pictures of the Zf, not pics taken with the Zf! Yes, I'll be taking photos with it but I have been messing with the menus, getting the camera set up to my liking more than taking any photos yet. I only have some testers of the bird feeder and a few of the cats so far, but here are a few quick shots of how the grip look and how different lenses look attached to the Zf.

Z06_8080.JPG

Z06_8082.JPG

Z06_8083.JPG

Z06_8084.JPG

Z06_8086.JPG

lightcapture

Sorry, forgot we had dinner plans tonight after work. Ha! I totally misunderstood, lol! I thought you were looking for pictures of the Zf, not pics taken with the Zf! Yes, I'll be taking photos with it but I have been messing with the menus, getting the camera set up to my liking more than taking any photos yet. I only have some testers of the bird feeder and a few of the cats so far, but here are a few quick shots of how the grip look and how different lenses look attached to the Zf.

View attachment 398282
I love this camera. Wish I could afford it. Looking forward to seeing photos from it w/ the 24-70. Are you planning on buying 40/2.0/se?

TwistedThrottle

Look like the size of Zf is no smaller than Z7ii?
Very close. There’s no cheap plastic feel when you pick up the Zf. It surprised me how heavy it is, (in a good way) and the grip goes the extra step to make the two bodies feel similar but not the same. There’s no mistaken identity like there is with the 6&7, the Zf is distinctly its own. I have big hands and the grip makes it just big enough to be comfortable, even with the 2x70-200 out front. My pinky falls off the bottom of the gripped Zf just like it does with an ungripped Z6 & Z7 but it’s doable. FWIW, I don’t like that so I use the Smallrig L bracket on the Z6 and the full grip on the Z7ii but I love everything else about the Zf so I’m ok with it.

TwistedThrottle

I love this camera. Wish I could afford it. Looking forward to seeing photos from it w/ the 24-70. Are you planning on buying 40/2.0/se?
I love it too! It woulda been a stretch for me but selling my old F mount gear that I wasn’t using anymore completely funded it. The nikon 40 does nothing for me. I’ve got my eyes on the Voigtlander 40 f1.2 though, that lens looks yummy!

TwistedThrottle

Here are a couple comparison shots out the window this morning using the 2x70-200 handheld (check out those shutter speeds!)
Zf
DSC_0157.JPG

z7ii(accidently shot dx, pre coffee)
Z72_2902.JPG

Last edited:

blackstar

Is my vision failing or do I see little difference in IQ from the big difference in resolution on Z7ii (46M) and Zf (25M)? Maybe some close-in or wildlife shots will reveal some difference in "subject details" from the two sensors?

TwistedThrottle

Any differences probably wont show up posting these types of shots to the forum, plus the comparison shots were very un-scientific- not to mention, pre coffee. IRL, the z7ii will give better results at base ISO because its got a lower ISO, (64 vs 100) no AA filter and there are almost 2x more megapixels, as long as there's enough light to work with. The Zf has a better AF and will give better results when the low light requires any increase to the ISO. It would take a massive crop on the Zf and the same crop on the Z7ii to see the difference with the size constraints of the forum. I think whats shown by this comparison is that they're remarkably similar.

Fred Kingston_RIP

For the body, only a seasonal part time job. But changing to Z-mount glass might require some smuggling on the side.
Cameras: Z5 : D750 : D600 IR converted : N70 : Lumix DMC-ZS6 : Minolta xd-11
Nikkor Z lenses: Z 24-70mm f/4 : Z MC 105mm f/2.8
Nikon F lenses: 24-120mm f/4 VR : 50mm f/1.8G : 70-200mm f/2.8G VR : 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D : 500mm f/8 reflex
Other F lenses: Carl Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon : Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art : Sigma 150-600mm f/5.6-6.3 C : Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di VC USD

I highlighted all the stuff you could sell, and the Nikon z 24-200 F4-6.3 would cover all those other lenses...

BF Hammer

Cameras: Z5 : D750 : D600 IR converted : N70 : Lumix DMC-ZS6 : Minolta xd-11
Nikkor Z lenses: Z 24-70mm f/4 : Z MC 105mm f/2.8
Nikon F lenses: 24-120mm f/4 VR : 50mm f/1.8G : 70-200mm f/2.8G VR : 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D : 500mm f/8 reflex
Other F lenses: Carl Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon : Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art : Sigma 150-600mm f/5.6-6.3 C : Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di VC USD

I highlighted all the stuff you could sell, and the Nikon z 24-200 F4-6.3 would cover all those other lenses...
We are thinking a little bit alike. I am going to keep the Zeiss 15mm. I am hard-set on my next lens being a Z14-24mm f/2.8 as that is a real hole in my kit. The Tamron 90mm and Sigma 20mm can go at any point currently. The 28-105mm is permanently attached to the IR D600. I want to hold the D750 until I trade in for a Zf or Z8. I could go either way on that. Like having 2 bodies to work with. The 70-200mm and 150-600mm will go as I bring in the similar Z lenses. But I really am prioritizing paying off the $3K loan I took to replace my furnace last month.

And I expect to hold the Nifty Fifty also as I am underwhelmed by the Z-options for similar dollars.

TwistedThrottle

While I prefer to shoot with the Smallrig grip on the Zf, (especially with bigger lenses) I've found a very comfortable way to hold the Zf when its not gripped and I'm using smaller lenses. There are 2 main dials on top of the camera, one for ISO on the left and one for shutter speed on the right. If you wrap your left thumb and index finger around the dial on the left and the same for the right, the body ends up getting cradled in your hands, (at least it does with my gorilla hands). This encourages you to use both hands to make camera adjustments as opposed to right hand only camera adjustments. It's a little different than other cameras with a chunky grip where you can easily balance the camera with your grip hand and support the lens with the other hand.

blackstar

While I prefer to shoot with the Smallrig grip on the Zf, (especially with bigger lenses) I've found a very comfortable way to hold the Zf when its not gripped and I'm using smaller lenses. There are 2 main dials on top of the camera, one for ISO on the left and one for shutter speed on the right. If you wrap your left thumb and index finger around the dial on the left and the same for the right, the body ends up getting cradled in your hands, (at least it does with my gorilla hands). This encourages you to use both hands to make camera adjustments as opposed to right hand only camera adjustments. It's a little different than other cameras with a chunky grip where you can easily balance the camera with your grip hand and support the lens with the other hand.
Can you post a demonstrated photo of you holding the Zf that way? Thanks